Umaine men`s BB 20-21:

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Mon Mar 15th, 2021 12:26 pm

Erik Oliver would be a nice get for Maine. He`s a lefty with a sweet looking stroke. Has the ball in his hands a lot and is a crafty scorer with an array of pull ups, step backs and floaters. I think he and Duhart would make a legit starting AE backcourt. 

Posted by: parquetfloor on Mon Mar 15th, 2021 1:56 pm
Blind Zebras wrote:

Erik Oliver would be a nice get for Maine. He`s a lefty with a sweet looking stroke. Has the ball in his hands a lot and is a crafty scorer with an array of pull ups, step backs and floaters. I think he and Duhart would make a legit starting AE backcourt. 

Any idea who else has offered him? He`s from Wyoming so can`t imagine weather will be an issue for him Smile

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Tue Mar 16th, 2021 7:39 am

Central Michigan offered Oliver yesterday. He holds 2 D1 offers now.

Posted by: mario_spaghettio on Thu Mar 18th, 2021 11:35 pm

Perhaps Richard Barron could be pursuaded to resign if he were to encounter a shadowy "Headless Horseman" type figure on a dimly lit back county road? 

Posted by: basketball_guy on Sun Mar 21st, 2021 12:24 am

Barron is not going anywhere anytime soon. If he was he would have been terminated by now and Ken Ralph is not going to be doing that this year. 

I would say the basketball issue has been systemic for far too long. It would seem people accept the fact that Maine has been so far down for so long....it is almost like the losing ways continue and nothing gets done. 

With a new indoor arena that will be a great boost to the program irregardless of who the Head Coach is going forward. 

But in all honesty if Barron has another year like the last three or starts off the way he has for the past three years he may not even finish next season despite his comments recently about how having a new arena will cure all ills with the program and help recruiting. 

All you have to do is look at the type of Coaches who succeed. Look at Iona and Rick Pitino. In one year he managed to get them into the NCAA tournament. That is a compliment to him as a Coach, and Barron is not even close to Pitino in that regard. 

Not saying Maine can get another Pitino but a Coach who knows how to motivate his players is the difference maker in that regard. 

But alas we are stuck for another year with Barron and I hate to see this continue. Maine has had good success over the years with a Coach who can motivate. But it does really all boil down to his recruiting. If he continues to run off players the way he has been doing he won`t last long beyond next season but give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he gets lucky and turns it around after four years, but frankly I doubt it. I think this time next year Maine will be looking for another Head Basketball Coach, preferably a bit younger who can lead Maine in addition to having a new arena going forward. 

Posted by: imposter on Sun Mar 21st, 2021 7:13 am

basketball_guy

Not trying to disparage Pitino who is one of this generations greatest coaches, but he did take over a very well established program at Iona.

Tim Cluess is no slouch.

Posted by: basketball_guy on Sun Mar 21st, 2021 7:51 am

Barron is not going anywhere anytime soon. If he was he would have been terminated by now and Ken Ralph is not going to be doing that this year. 

I would say the basketball issue has been systemic for far too long. It would seem people accept the fact that Maine has been so far down for so long....it is almost like the losing ways continue and nothing gets done. 

With a new indoor arena that will be a great boost to the program irregardless of who the Head Coach is going forward. 

But in all honesty if Barron has another year like the last three or starts off the way he has for the past three years he may not even finish next season despite his comments recently about how having a new arena will cure all ills with the program and help recruiting. 

All you have to do is look at the type of Coaches who succeed. Look at Iona and Rick Pitino. In one year he managed to get them into the NCAA tournament. That is a compliment to him as a Coach, and Barron is not even close to Pitino in that regard. 

Not saying Maine can get another Pitino but a Coach who knows how to motivate his players is the difference maker in that regard. 

But alas we are stuck for another year with Barron and I hate to see this continue. Maine has had good success over the years with a Coach who can motivate. But it does really all boil down to his recruiting. If he continues to run off players the way he has been doing he won`t last long beyond next season but give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he gets lucky and turns it around after four years, but frankly I doubt it. I think this time next year Maine will be looking for another Head Basketball Coach, preferably a bit younger who can lead Maine in addition to having a new arena going forward. 

Posted by: basketball_guy on Sun Mar 21st, 2021 8:00 am
imposter wrote:

basketball_guy

Not trying to disparage Pitino who is one of this generations greatest coaches, but he did take over a very well established program at Iona.

Tim Cluess is no slouch.

Yes that is true. No sense in beating a dead horse about Barron either. I don`t see any former Maine basketball players commenting here much if at all. I seem to be the only one and I was only there one semester before transferring to Alabama. This losing mentality has got to come to an end sometime. It was not like this when I was at Maine but that was way too long ago. 

Barron is not the only issue, but it really all begins with your Coach. The product on the floor is just nowhwere close where it needs to be at this point. And I have to admit why is Barron recruiting down in Florida and Oklahoma. It would seem as there have got to be some  serious quality recruits up in the Northeast who would love to play at Maine. 

Not to go off topic but I don`t understand once the UMAINE womens team lost to Stony Brook last week, why they declined an invitation to go to the WNIT. That would have been a fair showcase for them even if they did not get an NCAA invitation and I can not believe it was for financial reasons at this point. Perhaps it was Covid but that seems a strange reason since they would have most likely hosted an WNIT game. 

Posted by: turkeyman on Sun Mar 21st, 2021 9:03 am

Basketball Guy, I wondered, too, why the UMaine women turned down the WNIT. Then, I watched some WNIT games. It is little better than a s**tshow.

All games are being played in high-school gyms. The nearest to Maine is in Charlotte, N.C. Only one of the four gyms has lighting good enough for television transmission. The gym at Charlotte is so dark you cannot make out the color of the "visiting" uniforms. In fact, center court is even darker, and you can`t tell, for example, that the Fordham uniforms are maroon. Most uniforms appear either white or black. 

The gyms at Memphis (Collierville, a suburb) and Rockford, Ill., are slightly better than Charlotte, though one has a floor pattern that makes the Boston Garden`s parquet look bland. Only Fort Worth`s gym is worthy of the college game.

Two teams in the consolation round, Houston and New Mexico, decided not to play yesterday and agreed that Houston would advance to the consolation semis tomorrow. Both of those schools, and especially UNM, have strong histories of fan and school support for women`s basketball, so it can`t be that their administrations weren`t supporting the teams in the way that the NCAA is failing to support the women`s 64-team tournament, teams and players.

The FloHoops announcers are parachuted in from who knows where. They seem to have had little or no prep time with the coaches, give wrong stats, misidentify players regularly or even just say stuff like, "That was a good rebound by No. 15." Last night the announcer, late in the fourth quarter of a close game, identified Creighton as DePaul. 

Yesterday, the four sites had only seven announcers from FloHoops, so one guy -- and yes, all seven were male -- was doing both play-by-play and color, neither particularly well.

The on-screen clock is almost always several seconds different from the scoreboard clock, and FloHoops is not running a shot clock on screen. In one gym, the camera angle lets us see the shot clock above the backboard but not in the other three.

Officials seem almost not to take the games seriously. One team last night was allowed to bring a player back to the back-court line for a throw-in after a turnover even though the official had handed the ball to her teammate to throw it inbounds. We had about six or seven seconds of the official taking back the ball and everyone just waiting for the other player to come the length of the floor to throw the ball inbounds. 

In that same game, a player hit the first of two free throws, then the officials, without reviewing the monitor, reversed themselves, took away the free throw, said the free-throiw shooter had traveled and gave the ball to the other team. On the same play, they allowed a substitution by the shooting team, between free throws, but when they canceled the second free throw, they sent her back to the bench. That game ended up being decided by one point. The officials sometimes do not look like Div. I NCAA officials.

I have no idea what the conditions are outside the high-school gyms. Are players living in motels, in hotel bubbles, in their cars? It appears that some gyms have a few fans, possibly just players` families, but others have none. Does that reflect rules in the states that are hosting? North Carolina at 36th has a relatively low COVID infection rate, and Tennessee is very high at 5th. Illinois and Texas are in the middle at 21st and 25th, respectively. 

At least the WNIT is guaranteeing everyone gets at least two games. And some of the consolation games have been pretty good. But when you`ve already lost a game in the "We`re Not In the Tournament" tournament, it may be difficult to get up for a game in the losers` bracket. Looked like that happened yesterday to Fordham.

Much as I would like to have seen UMaine in the WNIT, if the decision had anything to do with the expected conditions, I don`t blame the coaches and players for not going. Maine has accepted WNIT bids in the past, both post-season and pre-season, so something this year must have been different. Whether it was as simple as COVID risks or much more complicated, I don`t know.

A sad ending to a promising and largely successful season, but I`m kinda glad Maine didn`t take part in the WNIT this year. It might have ended up even sadder.

Bob Neal, New Sharon