Umaine men`s BB 20-21:

Posted by: imposter on Sun Jan 17th, 2021 3:27 pm

Now what?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1350831083596771328

Posted by: mainejeff on Sun Jan 17th, 2021 3:48 pm

Not sure what exactly is going on in this program right now but with 2 walk-ons starting.....something ain`t right.

Posted by: basketball_guy on Sun Jan 17th, 2021 8:24 pm

I have not read what the plan is pertaining to a new indoor arena for basketball. Is there any news on that? Maine basketball needs a number of things, it would be nice if they had a new basketball arena to play in on campus. 

Posted by: MBR on Mon Jan 18th, 2021 4:18 am

Back to work next weekend.

Posted by: MBR on Mon Jan 18th, 2021 4:20 am

recap via Vermont since no Maine recap .. 

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Mon Jan 18th, 2021 10:07 am

I`ve supported this program through thick and thin over some very poor seasons and I have to say this weekend`s effort is simply embarrassing. This Vermont team does not have the talent level of seasons past. They lost to NJIT and UMass Lowell. Losing by 35 and 28 points to this team??  It is puzzling to me why certain players who played well at times early in the season are now not playing or barely playing?? The coaching staff seems to be trying to light a fire under certain guys. Something is going on behind closed doors which leads to speculation...is it a lack of effort in practice? Poor attitudes? Failure to buy in to the team concepts? Coach Barron mentioned "toughness, toughness and toughness" in Sunday`s keys to the game segment. my guess is both mental and physical.

From my vantage point there is a complete lack of consistency with the players. Everyone came out and had a clunker in game 1 and game 2 wasn`t much better. This poor result is also on the coaches. I didn`t watch Sunday`s game, but I`m wondering what was done conceptually to try to change the result? Any full court defense, zone traps? Efforts to increase pace and easy offense from the defense? It was certainly a higher scoring game, but the same poor result.

Posted by: parquetfloor on Mon Jan 18th, 2021 10:35 am

Why are we trying to figure out anything this season? Christ, everyone is running around in masks all over the place, teams are paused and then restart, games have been added to schedules literally a day or 2 before being played, classes are online which makes it more difficult for the majority of people I have talked with...all of which makes the season remind me of someone just learning to drive a stick shift as it so herky jerky. We have had conferences and teams not even bother to try and play this year while some teams on the women`s side have quit mid-year (Duke, Virginia, San Jose St, etc). Nobody in Santa Clara County in CA can play or practice at home so those teams (notably Stanford) are on the road the entire time.

Trying to figure out anything with a basketball program during this unprecendented time is futile and meaningless. I mean, we don`t know if someone in a player`s family was just diagnosed with covid, someone is in the hospital...hell, we just lost an aunt who came down with covid and was gone within days. 

I, for one, have Just decided to sit back and enjoy the fact that I am getting to watch college basketball at all, a game I truly love and enjoy. Maybe some on here should try that for the last couple of months. I have been concerned about things in the past but everyone is getting a pass from me this year when they are trying to concentrate and play through a global pandemic and have their complete worlds turned upside down over the past 12 months or so. 

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Mon Jan 18th, 2021 11:11 am

The women`s team is in the same boat and thriving. All the teams in Maine`s conference are in similar situations. Why should we continue to make excuses for this program? The transfer portal, injuries, youth and the list goes on.  I don`t care if they lose, if you fight hard and leave it all out there...ok we got beat. They aren`t playing a high major team. when you get your doors blown off 2 days in a row and aren`t the least bit competitive. Even last year Maine almost beat Vermont and played them competitively. Questions should be asked in my opinion.

Posted by: mainejeff on Mon Jan 18th, 2021 11:35 am

I`m with Blind Zebras on this one.  Record wise....where they finish...doesn`t really matter this season.  But the effort....the player MIAs.....starting 2 walk-ons???......come on.  

With $90 million in Alfond money looming.....I don`t see this trainwreck continuing down the track without some changes.  More money needs to be spent on the program but obviously won`t guarantee success.