Umaine men`s BB 20-21:

Posted by: hoopsisme on Sun Mar 21st, 2021 11:09 am

https://www.boplex.com/our-venues/bojangles-coliseum
I
 beleive the WNIT is being held in this facility. This is not a high school gym. 

Posted by: turkeyman on Sun Mar 21st, 2021 12:28 pm

That makes it even worse, Hoopsis, because the lighting isn`t as good as the lighting at Mount Blue High School. Looked it up -- I earlier looked up Collierville and Fort Worth -- and found the City of Charlotte is planning to replace the building, which opened in 1955 and has been refurbished a couple of times.  

It hasn`t been used regularly for basketball since 1988, though it hosted the CIAA tournaments from 2003 through 2017, but has had a hockey tenant. 

Thanks for the additional information, Hoopsis. Frankly, of the four cities hosting, I`d rather spend a few days in Charlotte than any of the others.

Still prefer the old campus-site WNIT. I hope, first, that the WNIT can get back to campus sites next year and, second, that Maine qualifies for the NCAA and doesn`t have to consider a WNIT bid for a long time.

Bob Neal, New Sharon

Posted by: MaineBBFan99 on Sun Mar 21st, 2021 12:32 pm
hoopsisme wrote:

https://www.boplex.com/our-venues/bojangles-coliseum
I
 beleive the WNIT is being held in this facility. This is not a high school gym. 

That`s only one of four regional hosts. The other three are listed in this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Women%27s_National_Invitation_Tournament

Posted by: ExpoEddie on Mon Mar 22nd, 2021 12:46 pm

Posting here as it currently discussing WBB.  I hope folks got to see Amy`s ad in the PPH Sunday edition.  Her ad thanked all the players, Coaches, administration and fans.

Something tells me Amy did and paid for this ad herself.  And, she did not dodge, but acknowledged the season ending short of their goals.  Wonderful tribute to the seniors.  Pittino great coach, terrible person.  I will take Amy who will be a great coach soon, she already checks off the box with me as a great person. 

Posted by: MaineFan2019 on Mon Mar 22nd, 2021 9:42 pm

Erik Oliver has committed to Central Michigan. 

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Mon Apr 5th, 2021 6:48 am

Maine has offered Byron Ireland a 6`1 195 lb combo guard from Annapolis, MD & St Frances Academy Prep in Baltimore.  A strong guard whose team competed against the likes of Oak Hill Academy VA. Maine is his first known D1 offer which is surprising looking at his tape.

Posted by: mainejeff on Mon Apr 5th, 2021 10:49 am
Blind Zebras wrote:

Maine has offered Byron Ireland a 6`1 195 lb combo guard from Annapolis, MD & St Frances Academy Prep in Baltimore.  A strong guard whose team competed against the likes of Oak Hill Academy VA. Maine is his first known D1 offer which is surprising looking at his tape.

The kid is intense and strong on the court.  Seems like he would be a nice signing.

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Mon Apr 5th, 2021 12:03 pm

MJ, absolutely! He looks tough & competitive with a college ready frame.  Plus, he`s faced elite competition.  2 teammates are D1 commits to VCU & South Alabama. Exactly the type of kid Maine needs to target.

Posted by: MaineFan2019 on Tue Apr 6th, 2021 1:45 pm

With the coaching change at Central Michigan, Erik Oliver`s recruitment might reopen. Will be worth keeping an eye on.