Umaine men`s BB 20-21:

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Tue Jan 19th, 2021 3:23 pm

Woodward and Leichner were very good recruiters.Together they brought in many talented players, including Euro`s, transfers and juco players. They were competitive many seasons based on sheer talent alone. When Leichner left the second time, the program really floundered. Leichner was their development coach and spent a ton of time with the big guys. The problem during that era was lack of adaptability. TW was a terrible in-game coach. Very scripted play selection and he really struggled to find counters for the other team`s method of attack.

Walsh could also recruit, but he was extremely abrasive and a terrible communicator. He Believed that being the toughest, hardest playing and most unrelenting would lead to a winning culture.  He beat his players into the ground in practice causing several overuse injury issues, concussions and had issues with infighting. His second recruiting class with Eke, Vann, Harewood etc would have been a program changer, sadly they all transferred.

Tons of damage was done when Walsh left. He did have a few core guys who were extremely loyal to him and all of them ended up leaving after Barron`s first season, with the exceptions of Fleming & Antoms.

Barron has repaired some of that wreckage by bringing in high character players who are serious students and good citizens. I commend him for trying to foster a sense of family within the program. He`s trying to bring in kids to a situation where they develop relationships with their teammates and coaches and will want to stay for 4 years.  Right now still searching for 1 or 2 cornerstone recruits that he can build the program on.

Posted by: SMTC on Tue Jan 19th, 2021 4:01 pm

Nice post by Blind Zebras.

I`m always rooting for this team to do well. I think Prijovic leaving to go Pro was kind a of a blow to the coaching staff that they didnt see coming. He would have been our top scorer and best player on the floor this year. I loved his euro style of play.

Mathew Fleming I think could also have been a major contributor.

The question marks that linger to me are FoFo and the Randell Wiel kid that transfered out? I thought the coaching staff had high hopes for both of these kids. I have watched a ton of film on FoFo and have high hopes for this kid who is struggling to find his shot.

Posted by: Blind Zebras on Tue Jan 19th, 2021 5:32 pm

Good points SMTC.  Losing Prijovic who was named team captain was unexpected.  I`m not sure Fleming wouldve made a huge impact this year, but he would be a good man to camp out in the corners coming off the bench.

Fofo is having a tough adjustment this year. He`s an athletic specimen, no doubt about that. I feel he would thrive if Maine could implement more attacking style defenses. I think Fofo, Wright-McLeish, Duhart, Okoh, Maiwen, Ingo & even Schildroth would do really well in this type of system.The issue is some of the other pieces don`t really fit. Maine doesnt have the depth currently to commit to a sustained uptempo attack. 

Coach Barron is deliberate, ball control, pass and cut. Lay ups & 3`s. I like the offense but would like to see some more off script adjustments. Maybe with some more able bodies, he will do this in time?

Posted by: basketball_guy on Tue Jan 19th, 2021 8:50 pm

I think this season is a wash mostly due to covid as well as their recruiting. If UMAINE basketball is underfunded as you indicate when do they start to get some of the 90.000,00 for their basketball program. I would think there has to be plans for a new indoor arena on campus for basketball or at least on the drawing board at this point. They need a new facility on campus. 

But the real issue is in recruiting. You are only as good as the players you put on the floor. I just don`t see Barron at UMAINE after this season. He did wonders with the Womens program. I give him that. But he is being outcoached by the Vermonts and UMBC`s of this league. And lets face it America East is not a high power conference, even if UMBC put America East a couple of years ago. I would say Ken Ralph is going to have some decisions to make not just about the Coach but hopefully some positive news about a new facility, sorely lacking for too many years. 

Posted by: mario_spaghettio on Tue Jan 19th, 2021 9:23 pm

They should use some of that 90 million to "recruit" some ballers. At this point they have nothing to lose.

Posted by: Tom Nolette on Wed Jan 20th, 2021 3:31 am

Maine men’s basketball in quarantine again, two tier-1 personnel are presumptive positive 

Posted by: mario_spaghettio on Wed Jan 20th, 2021 8:20 pm

Please please stop bringing in these cookie cutter Eurosoft creampuffs.  It`s like they`ve had the same 5 Servjo Jankovics for the past decade. It`s not working. Send these clowns home and get some legit D1 players. 

Posted by: Tom Nolette on Thu Jan 21st, 2021 3:27 am

series vs Binghamton has officially been postponed.

Posted by: Tom Nolette on Fri Jan 22nd, 2021 4:24 am

precious okoh