2001: SEARCHING FOR THE MAGIC .geezil

Posted by: geezil on Tue Apr 7th, 2020 7:02 pm
...........Cim--I was at Maine in 1950 (STEM student) and remember seeing both both venues--My first taste of Eastern Maine Basketball. At that time I thought Eastern Basketball was more interesting than where I came from (My southern complaints: Defensive rebounder taught to dribble into a corner, only two-hand passes allowed, guards never scored--they couldn't anyway, one hand shot was frowned upon, never throw a cross court pass, the forwards were little guys who couldn't rebound, ad freakin nauseum). It was a breath of fresh air. I learned how not to teach the game, which is probably better than how to teach it.
Posted by: bcbc55 on Tue Apr 7th, 2020 7:19 pm
...........Cim--I was at Maine in 1950 (STEM student) and remember seeing both both venues--My first taste of Eastern Maine Basketball. At that time I thought Eastern Basketball was more interesting than where I came from (My southern complaints: Defensive rebounder taught to dribble into a corner, only two-hand passes allowed, guards never scored--they couldn't anyway, one hand shot was frowned upon, never throw a cross court pass, the forwards were little guys who couldn't rebound, ad freakin nauseum). It was a breath of fresh air. I learned how not to teach the game, which is probably better than how to teach it.
"geezil": Interesting post. In 1950 I was 13 and in the 8th grade and playing for Garland Street Junior High School in Bangor. Used to go to all the home Bangor High games at the yellow Old Bangor Auditorium and sat on the bleachers that were on the end of the court on the stage.Can remember when Somerville, Mass. high school team came to Bangor to play the Bangor team and their star player was Ronnie Perry who had a great 2 hand set shot and went on to play at Holy Cross. Bangor had played them in the New England's the years before in the olde Boston Garden.I remember the rule no cross court passes as a high school player at Bangor 1952-55.
Posted by: geezil on Wed Apr 8th, 2020 6:41 am
.............I also remember some people wanted Bangor to play the "Island" (Reader: If you don't know where that is or who that is, then you don't know Basketball) for the March of Dimes. Red declined and offered up his JV's. Were you involved as a player at that time Cim? Damm--my memory still works for an old guy. (You guys got him from Belfast)..............That would be Red that didn't allow cross court passes. Man--I'm feeling it!!!
Posted by: bcbc55 on Wed Apr 8th, 2020 12:39 pm
.............I also remember some people wanted Bangor to play the "Island" (Reader: If you don't know where that is or who that is, then you don't know Basketball) for the March of Dimes. Red declined and offered up his JV's. Were you involved as a player at that time Cim? Damm--my memory still works for an old guy. (You guys got him from Belfast).
.............That would be Red that didn't allow cross court passes. Man--I'm feeling it!!!
"geezil": Yes I was a member of that Bangor JV team as a sophomore in 1952-53. There were 3 teams from the "Island". Bar Harbor Class M, Mt. Desert class S and Pemetic Class S.Who did we get from Belfast?
Posted by: geezil on Wed Apr 8th, 2020 2:32 pm
.............Coach Red Berry..............I apologize Cim--Got this one wrong (Not the first time). See Cim's comment below, Red came to Bangor directly from Bates College
Posted by: bcbc55 on Wed Apr 8th, 2020 3:32 pm
.............Coach Red Berry.
"geezil" Red Barry graduated from Bates College and immediately got the Bangor coaching job for the 1947-48 season right after graduation. He was originally from Massachusetts. He coached at Bangor for 22 seasons, had 2 state championships 1955 and 1959 and 6 Eastern Maine titles.In 1955 Bangor went to the semi-finals and beat Hillhouse in the consolation game and in 1959 they lost to Hillhouse in the finals of the New Englands.
Posted by: billzfan34 on Wed Apr 8th, 2020 3:54 pm
Cim--I was at Maine in 1950 (STEM student)
-Geezil"geezil": Interesting post. In 1950 I was 13 and in the 8th grade and playing for Garland Street Junior High School in Bangor. -CimIn 1950 I was 19 years from seeing the light of Earth. But my sneakers slid and sometimes squeaked on the very floor that Stanley Beal('51,'52 State Champs),Harold Lawrence Alley('51,'52 State Champs),my freshman uncle Reggie Merchant('56 State Champs),Paul Beal before them and Dwight Carver(elementary games) after them,played on. That old,musty,below ground gym that served host to games(elementary school games from '70-'79,as the high schools combined in '69 and played in J-port's old gym) until 1980 before meeting it's demise and being replaced by a new Elementary school in the Mill Pond. I took Geezil and Speed to the "new" school and showed them Beals' 3 gold balls before we all went to the high school to watch Garet and JB play Shorey and Calais. The pics and tales from those Brave teams of the 50's fueled my and I suppose a good many other's desire to emulate them on the court. The fewer passes the better and get out and go,go,go..Rest is for the weary. Attack the basket hard from both positions,offense and defense. In my years as coach I ran drills where the ball couldn't touch the floor between half court and the basket.Pretty to watch when executed and flashes of days gone by went through my mind when watching them do it. The JB Royals run-n-gun..Sumner Tigers high octane offense and later on,even as "hated" rivals,the Valley teams all had that fire and pace that was unmatched. I'm all for good defense and even a good offensive set,but 9 predetermined passes to do what 1 or 2 can is too much for me..lol..The NBA has lost the magic and it's unrecoverable. Dead to me. The NCAA isn't far behind and high school is on a dangerous,downward slope as far as entertainment value goes. My opinion of course. Will be nice to witness some magic again.
Posted by: geezil on Wed Apr 8th, 2020 5:43 pm
............Billz--Love your comments about the "Magic" and the Beals story.

I`m glad Geezil responded in 2020 to the re-post of his 2001 post on MBR .  It is a glimpse into the man who loved it !  and some good historical talk... # RIP