UM WBB Recruiting - 2021 & Beyond

Posted by: mainejeff on Wed May 13th, 2020 8:51 am
UMaineSuperfan wrote:

Bummer indeed. I think she has the opportunity to be a really solid four year player with versatility on the wing. Maine has done a good job making inroads into the Crusaders program, so hopefully they can keep going back to that well.

Saw Gemma from PHS (call back!!!) committed to Northeastern the other day...those Firecrackers are darn near impossible to keep in state! Good for her. What a journey!

The Firecracker rift runs deep!

Vachon went 1 for 2 with the NH players....getting both would have been an incredible recruiting coup.  Talent wise I think that Hodgson and King are comparable with Hodgson being slightly more athletic and "ready" for college ball.....King might have more upside though.

Posted by: mainejeff on Wed May 13th, 2020 8:51 am
UMaineSuperfan wrote:

Bummer indeed. I think she has the opportunity to be a really solid four year player with versatility on the wing. Maine has done a good job making inroads into the Crusaders program, so hopefully they can keep going back to that well.

Saw Gemma from PHS (call back!!!) committed to Northeastern the other day...those Firecrackers are darn near impossible to keep in state! Good for her. What a journey!

The Firecracker rift runs deep!

Vachon went 1 for 2 with the NH players....getting both would have been an incredible recruiting coup.  Talent wise I think that Hodgson and King are comparable with Hodgson being slightly more athletic and "ready" for college ball.....King might have more upside though.

Posted by: ExpoEddie on Wed May 13th, 2020 11:09 am

Gemma`s coach graduated from Northeastern.  Gerry Cocoran was one of their best players.  He has a ring from there the size of Texas.  I think it might be some sort of All American status.  I would assume if he called them, they listened.  She is a wonderful person and wish her the best. 

Posted by: parquetfloor on Wed May 13th, 2020 11:27 am
ExpoEddie wrote:

Gemma`s coach graduated from Northeastern.  Gerry Cocoran was one of their best players.  He has a ring from there the size of Texas.  I think it might be some sort of All American status.  I would assume if he called them, they listened.  She is a wonderful person and wish her the best. 

This Gerry Corcoran?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/gerry-corcoran-2.html

He averaged 2.6 ppg over his 4 yr career with only 4 career starts. My guess is that ring is not anything to do with being an All-American. His playing days did overlap with one Reggie Lewis, who was an All-American as well as an NBA All-Star. I think they went to the NCAA`s and may have even won a game so that could be what that ring is all about.

Posted by: dunbar on Wed May 13th, 2020 11:56 am
parquetfloor wrote:

This Gerry Corcoran?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/gerry-corcoran-2.html

He averaged 2.6 ppg over his 4 yr career with only 4 career starts. My guess is that ring is not anything to do with being an All-American. His playing days did overlap with one Reggie Lewis, who was an All-American as well as an NBA All-Star. I think they went to the NCAA`s and may have even won a game so that could be what that ring is all about.

Looks like a ring from the four straight North Atlantic titles in Reggie`s four years (1983-87). Won a preliminary game over LIU in 1984 for the 11 seed in the East, the last year before the field expanded to 64. 53 teams and double byes...

Posted by: ExpoEddie on Wed May 13th, 2020 4:43 pm

Yes, you researched the right Gerry Cocoran.  I guess I never knew anyone to wear a ring daily that was from being on the team versus of prominance.  I will have to ask him about RL and significance of the ring if summer programs get up and going.

Thank you for clarifying, but I would still think him playing and Gemma going are tied.  He is really hard verbally on the kids, but they kids overlook and focus on his passion to make them better.

Posted by: dunbar on Wed May 13th, 2020 5:23 pm
ExpoEddie wrote:

Yes, you researched the right Gerry Cocoran.  I guess I never knew anyone to wear a ring daily that was from being on the team versus of prominance.  I will have to ask him about RL and significance of the ring if summer programs get up and going.

Thank you for clarifying, but I would still think him playing and Gemma going are tied.  He is really hard verbally on the kids, but they kids overlook and focus on his passion to make them better.

Still think you are reading too far into it. She plays on the Firecrackers team with Clement, who is also going to NU.

Posted by: mainejeff on Thu May 14th, 2020 8:40 am

5-5 G Kaylee Borden has been offered.

Posted by: ExpoEddie on Thu May 14th, 2020 8:58 am

I could be.  I will ask her next time I see her at a gym.  She spends time talking to Coach Russo, us assistants and the players.  Be careful what you wish for if FireCrackers push, one could be odd player out due to volume at guard.