UM WBB Recruiting - 2021 & Beyond

Posted by: coachr on Mon Sep 7th, 2020 11:06 am

football58, this is a disgraceful comment.  How you are not banned from this website is beyond me.  I know one thing must be true - your life must be so miserable that the only joy you can find in life is in being hateful, which is the true definition of evil.

Coach R

Posted by: turkeyman on Mon Sep 7th, 2020 3:30 pm

Right on, Coach r. This guy, hidden behind an alias, is a classic troll. I once blocked that guy, but s/he stirred up so much comment that I had to unblock her/him so I could keep up with the conversation. I may block it again.

Wanna criticize Amy Vachon for her recruiting? For her bench coaching? For her player development? Go right ahead. Do it civilly and avoid personal insults. Several on this board have done so and have managed to do so constructively. 

I know that Tom is wicked busy these days, but I hope that when things settle down for him he can address this kind of insult slinging. 

Bob Neal, New Sharon

Posted by: UMaineSuperfan on Tue Sep 8th, 2020 2:26 pm

I`m dying to know what football58 looks like IRL...it can`t be pretty.

Back to the fun stuff, Tom Biskup went on a maine hoops podcast earlier this week and when asked if Maine had put together a 2021 recruiting class he said yes and that they had 4 commitments.

We know about 3 (Hodgson, Smith, Wilborn), so either they have another they think is committed but hasn`t announced/been reported (euro?) or he misremembered.

Posted by: ExpoEddie on Wed Sep 9th, 2020 9:01 am

58 posted one of the most ignorant opinions I have ever read.  Then he keeps digging his hole deeper.  An ongoing medical condition has me on prednisone during flare-up.  No fun going from 238 to 263 in less than two weeks.  Other friends had same issues, but it was thyroid cancer. 

Amy & her staff was on local Channel 6 Saturday at 7pm with Erin Ovallee.  The players love their coach and program.  Amy makes them better players and people.  She helps them deal with ignorance of a 58.  By the way, it was sexist as you get.  I did not see your Andy Reid post after they won the Super Bowl commenting on his size. 

Posted by: mainejeff on Wed Sep 9th, 2020 9:30 am
UMaineSuperfan wrote:

I`m dying to know what football58 looks like IRL...it can`t be pretty.

Back to the fun stuff, Tom Biskup went on a maine hoops podcast earlier this week and when asked if Maine had put together a 2021 recruiting class he said yes and that they had 4 commitments.

We know about 3 (Hodgson, Smith, Wilborn), so either they have another they think is committed but hasn`t announced/been reported (euro?) or he misremembered.

Allie McCarthy from New Brunswick could be the 4th commitment.  She followed all 4 coaches and the program on Twitter and all 4 coaches followed her.  However nothing indicates her commitment publicly.

https://twitter.com/allie7mccarthy/following

Posted by: mainejeff on Sat Jan 16th, 2021 10:33 am

Bailey Wilborn made 9 threes the other night.....

https://twitter.com/KWCHMatt/status/1350252721987870727

Posted by: mainejeff on Mon May 31st, 2021 9:52 am

It looks like Eastern Kentucky`s loss might be Maine`s gain.......6-1 F Marta Urbano from Spain is likely the last member of the incoming recruiting class for 2021-2022.  She signed a LOI with EKU back in November but their coach Samantha Williams left this spring to become the recruiting coordinator and assistant at Tennessee.

Urbano definitely fills a void in the frontcourt and looks like a quality recruit.  She played at Elite Sports Academy.....same program that Orois played for.

From the EKU release when she signed with them....

https://www.easternprogress.com/sports/eku-women-s-basketball-team-signs-three-players-on-national-signing-day/article_a71cd828-2510-11eb-97c1-43e1d86956dc.html

Posted by: turkeyman on Mon May 31st, 2021 2:26 pm

MJ, if Urbano came to UMaine, that would complete a circle, in a way. Naira Caceras from Spain (Canary Islands) was in the great freshman class that started in Maine in 2016 and was one of five who transferred out after that year. She played two years at Butler, then opted out last year because of COVID-19.

Then, she transferred to Eastern Kentucky, while Samantha Williams was still there, for her "bonuis" grad year, courtesy of the NCAA extended eligibility. Caceras doesn`t show up on the posted `21-`22 roster, but then none of the transfers for next year appears yet on the roster.

Does anyone have a link to her highlights to Marta Urbano`s highlight video?

Bob Neal, New Sharon

Posted by: turkeyman on Fri Jun 4th, 2021 2:49 pm

Maine announced the signing today of Marta Urbano, 6-1 forward/guard from Spain. MJ`s pipeline continues to pump good info.

Bob Neal, New Sharon