UM WBB Recruiting - 2021 & Beyond

Posted by: fafan on Wed Aug 26th, 2020 2:52 pm

Wow, only watched a minute and was blown away with quick release and stepback 3 shooting. How did we land her from Kansas???

Posted by: turkeyman on Wed Aug 26th, 2020 5:37 pm

Wow is right, fa. Just looked at the link. If she spoke Luxembourgish she could pass as Anne Simon`s right-handed sister. Same shooting look, same body control, apparently the same fearlessness, same selflessness.  Hard to tell from short clips, but it looks like her court awareness is strong, too. Great ability to pass on the move. Quick hands.

When Sharon Versyp was here, she made a couple of recruiting forays into the Midwest -- Chris Yonan, pg from Chicago; Brittany Bowen, sg from Wisconsin; Lindsey Hugstad-Vaa (Huggy) post from Twin Cities. Looks like Coach Vachon is looking out that way, too.

Kansas has long had strong girls basketball. I noticed from some of the games that her team plays all over the state, and it is a big state. It played against Hays (far west), Atchison (northeast), Dodge City (south central), Salina (north central), Newton (east central and home of the best hamburger I ever ate, which was at the Santa Fe depot) and must have played most of the Wichita teams since she`s just a few miles from there. Looks like she may have gone up against the best Kansas offers.

Wonder if Jhasmin Player had anything to do with directing her to Maine. That might turn out to be a great favor to her old team if she did. Guess we`ll have to wait a year to find out. The roster for the future is looking good. Three oral commitments for `21, one for `22. And six first-years for 2020, if we get a season.

Bob Neal, New Sharon

Posted by: football58 on Thu Sep 3rd, 2020 6:21 pm

** edit - please no personal attacks based on appearances  - 
Thank You  - TN **

Posted by: coachr on Mon Sep 7th, 2020 11:06 am

football58, this is a disgraceful comment.  How you are not banned from this website is beyond me.  I know one thing must be true - your life must be so miserable that the only joy you can find in life is in being hateful, which is the true definition of evil.

Coach R

Posted by: turkeyman on Mon Sep 7th, 2020 3:30 pm

Right on, Coach r. This guy, hidden behind an alias, is a classic troll. I once blocked that guy, but s/he stirred up so much comment that I had to unblock her/him so I could keep up with the conversation. I may block it again.

Wanna criticize Amy Vachon for her recruiting? For her bench coaching? For her player development? Go right ahead. Do it civilly and avoid personal insults. Several on this board have done so and have managed to do so constructively. 

I know that Tom is wicked busy these days, but I hope that when things settle down for him he can address this kind of insult slinging. 

Bob Neal, New Sharon

Posted by: UMaineSuperfan on Tue Sep 8th, 2020 2:26 pm

I`m dying to know what football58 looks like IRL...it can`t be pretty.

Back to the fun stuff, Tom Biskup went on a maine hoops podcast earlier this week and when asked if Maine had put together a 2021 recruiting class he said yes and that they had 4 commitments.

We know about 3 (Hodgson, Smith, Wilborn), so either they have another they think is committed but hasn`t announced/been reported (euro?) or he misremembered.

Posted by: ExpoEddie on Wed Sep 9th, 2020 9:01 am

58 posted one of the most ignorant opinions I have ever read.  Then he keeps digging his hole deeper.  An ongoing medical condition has me on prednisone during flare-up.  No fun going from 238 to 263 in less than two weeks.  Other friends had same issues, but it was thyroid cancer. 

Amy & her staff was on local Channel 6 Saturday at 7pm with Erin Ovallee.  The players love their coach and program.  Amy makes them better players and people.  She helps them deal with ignorance of a 58.  By the way, it was sexist as you get.  I did not see your Andy Reid post after they won the Super Bowl commenting on his size. 

Posted by: mainejeff on Wed Sep 9th, 2020 9:30 am
UMaineSuperfan wrote:

I`m dying to know what football58 looks like IRL...it can`t be pretty.

Back to the fun stuff, Tom Biskup went on a maine hoops podcast earlier this week and when asked if Maine had put together a 2021 recruiting class he said yes and that they had 4 commitments.

We know about 3 (Hodgson, Smith, Wilborn), so either they have another they think is committed but hasn`t announced/been reported (euro?) or he misremembered.

Allie McCarthy from New Brunswick could be the 4th commitment.  She followed all 4 coaches and the program on Twitter and all 4 coaches followed her.  However nothing indicates her commitment publicly.

https://twitter.com/allie7mccarthy/following

Posted by: mainejeff on Sat Jan 16th, 2021 10:33 am

Bailey Wilborn made 9 threes the other night.....

https://twitter.com/KWCHMatt/status/1350252721987870727