2020 - 2021 Baseball

on Tue Mar 10th, 2020 2:11 pm
Now that I have witnessed this team first hand, some thoughts..It's said that if you look at a team and you take away their best and their worst, what's left is what they are. What this team isn't , is terrible. Outside of a very competitive weekend (Missouri St) , in which their 1st win came, and a very disastrous weekend ( Louisiana Tech), they have been close. If you take the time , like I have to dig in and look at raw data. In the first 6 games they gave up a grand total of 44 runs. 32 of those , a whopping 73% came in just 7 innings. So , the big issue was that " one big inning". I am not trying to what if the issues away, but that's a pretty significant number , in my opinion. 7 innings out of 54 allowed 32 runs. Against a decent Missouri St team they completely avoided the " big inning" , save for 1 inning in which they allowed 4 runs ( 2 earned). The starting pitching was decent considering that it's littered with underclassmen. DeLaite is a stud and the bullpen locked down MSU . The offense was good, despite the box score. Many , many balls were hit right on the screws and only a 6'7" first baseman save MSU from giving up a bunch of runs on Friday. The starting lineup features 4 players who are Freshmen or Sophomores. MSU scored 3 of their 4 runs on Sunday due to balls being lost in the sun and the 4th run scored due to an error. IF , and I do mean IF, the team I saw this weekend shows up for every America East series, this team will finish at or near the top and have a good chance of an NCAA berth in May. Long way to go and a lot more consistency and a break here or there in conference play and this team will be just fine. So, a long winded way of saying, don't let 1-11 fool you , much. This team is better than that and they played like it for 3 days against a good opponent this week.
on Tue Mar 10th, 2020 2:14 pm
If you take away all the losses this team is actually undefeated.
on Wed Mar 11th, 2020 11:59 am
UMaine will NOT travel to Florida for games vs Stetson and Canisius. Additional games vs Towson have been scheduled for after the UMBC series.
Posted by: MBR on Wed Apr 29th, 2020 4:31 am
Sardinas to transfer from Maine baseball, eyeing StetsonApril 28, 2020 23:16BANGOR – Maine baseball is set to lose one of its top offensive weapons.Hernen Sardinas has confirmed to ABC 7/FOX 22 that he intends to transfer and is eyeing Stetson University.https://foxbangor.com/bangor-local-spor ... g-stetson/BDN article: http://bangordailynews.com/2020/04/28/s ... t-stetson/
Posted by: MBR on Fri May 1st, 2020 4:19 am
Bangor's DeLaite in transfer process from UMaine baseball programORONO, MAINE (WABI) - Trevor DeLaite is in the process of transferring the UMaine baseball program. The former Bangor ace has been Maine's clutch pitcher the past few seasons and really shined as closer last year. Trevor is considering the best graduate school option for him. He has one year of eligibility left after his senior season was cut short by covid-19...https://www.wabi.tv/content/sports/Bang ... 03191.html
Posted by: mainejeff on Fri May 1st, 2020 8:42 am
Stetson? Husson? :roll:
on Sun May 3rd, 2020 10:33 am
This totally sucks. We beat the drum all time, well I do for sure, about Maine kids playing at Maine. In no other sport can they have success like in Baseball. It is a damn shame that a Maine kid can't even be bothered to stick around for 4 years. This lack of loyalty is a huge blow to the 2021 season. Sardinas leaving will hurt as well, but he is a Florida kid and hitters come and go all the time. When you have a pitcher who was poised to simply dominate a league and he's from right down the road who decides not to stick it out for 1 more year it is truly disappointing.
Posted by: augie on Sun May 3rd, 2020 10:58 am
This totally sucks. We beat the drum all time, well I do for sure, about Maine kids playing at Maine. In no other sport can they have success like in Baseball. It is a damn shame that a Maine kid can't even be bothered to stick around for 4 years. This lack of loyalty is a huge blow to the 2021 season. Sardinas leaving will hurt as well, but he is a Florida kid and hitters come and go all the time. When you have a pitcher who was poised to simply dominate a league and he's from right down the road who decides not to stick it out for 1 more year it is truly disappointing.
Technically he did stick around for 4 years. Wish the kid would stay and finish his career at Maine but I have no problem with Delaite trying to better himself (and it doesn’t take much). Not sure I know many who wouldn’t
Posted by: MaineFan2019 on Sun May 3rd, 2020 9:15 pm
All talk is pointing him to Coach Trimper at Stetson with Maine native Edwin Thompson at Eastern Kentucky coming in a close second.