class A regions?

Posted by: wmtwsportsprod on Thu Nov 21st, 2019 12:05 pm
its all one region....they just havent fixed the heal points standings page yet as season has not started....bulletin is right....also had heard at one point it was going to be proposed all 13 teams make the playoffs because of tier scheduling.......I am usually against the every team makes the playoffs except in hockey's case because tier scheduling can be so important in how a teams record goes..It was oh 10 years back or so i think it was Gorham played lower tier in A, lost maybe 1 or 2 games and went in as top seed....Biddeford played top tier and lost a number of games and finished 8th...but Biddeford won the playoff matchup as many expected (this is all off of memory...some of the details are not 100 percent accurate)
Posted by: interloper on Thu Nov 21st, 2019 2:04 pm
its all one region....they just havent fixed the heal points standings page yet as season has not started....bulletin is right....also had heard at one point it was going to be proposed all 13 teams make the playoffs because of tier scheduling.......
I am usually against the every team makes the playoffs except in hockey's case because tier scheduling can be so important in how a teams record goes..
It was oh 10 years back or so i think it was Gorham played lower tier in A, lost maybe 1 or 2 games and went in as top seed....Biddeford played top tier and lost a number of games and finished 8th...but Biddeford won the playoff matchup as many expected (this is all off of memory...some of the details are not 100 percent accurate)
You might be right but I believe it was TA that played Gorham. Also with 13 teams 9 will make the play-offs so only 4 will not, I think I can live with that. I remember at looking at some of the schedules and I think the teams in the lower tier play about 4 or 5 games against teams in the upper tier so I think It will be okay.
Posted by: interloper on Thu Nov 21st, 2019 2:18 pm
I just looked at the schedules of the 13 teams and 3 teams, BE-West-Wind, LR-FA-OH and Marsh-San-Traip-Noble, are playing a tier 2 schedule and the remaining 10 are playing a tier 1. All 3 teams are playing each other twice for 4 games and M-S-T-N play 5 other class a games,LR-FA-OH play 5 other class A games and BE-W-W play 7 other class A games. I think if any of those 3 teams get into the top 9 they will have earned it. Of course that is my opinion. I welcome yours.
Posted by: footballkicker77 on Sat Nov 23rd, 2019 12:07 am
Judging by this: doesn't this mean all 13 teams make it: you have a play in game which makes it 12 games: than 9 thought 12 play in the prelim games, than quarters an so on? Correct me if I'm wrong...That's how I read itFebruary 22 Class A Play-in Game February 25 Class A Preliminary Games & B Quarterfinal Games (High Seed) February 28/29 Class A Quarterfinals and B South Regional Semifinals (Androscoggin Bank Colisee) Friday - 5:00pm, 7:00pm Saturday – 12:00pm, 2:00pm, 6:00pm, 8:00pm
Posted by: interloper on Sat Nov 23rd, 2019 7:51 am
Judging by this: doesn't this mean all 13 teams make it: you have a play in game which makes it 12 games: than 9 thought 12 play in the prelim games, than quarters an so on? Correct me if I'm wrong...That's how I read it
February 22 Class A Play-in Game February 25 Class A Preliminary Games & B Quarterfinal Games (High Seed) February 28/29 Class A Quarterfinals and B South Regional Semifinals (Androscoggin Bank Colisee) Friday - 5:00pm, 7:00pm Saturday – 12:00pm, 2:00pm, 6:00pm, 8:00pm
That is what it looks like to me. Odd that they would have a play-in game instead of having team 13 playing team 4 in the preliminary round. Of course that is how it was done the last year that all teams made the play-offs in heal point sports.
Posted by: gscott13 on Fri Nov 29th, 2019 8:45 pm
All 13 teams will make the tournament. This was done to protect against a weaker schedule team making the playoffs at the expense of a team that plays a schedule full of Lewiston, Doms, Falmouth,TA, Bangor, etc... and to give some of the more developmental programs something to play for...I believe the playoff format will be as follows:Play-In Game: Game 1 - 12 v 13Prelims:Game 2 - 5 v Winner Game 1Game 3 - 6 v 11Game 4 - 7 v 10Game 5 - 8 v 9Quarters:Game 6 - 1 v Winner Game 5Game 7 - 2 v Winner Game 3Game 8 - 3 v Winner Game 4 Game 9 - 4 v Winner Game 2Semis:Game 10 - Winner Game 6 v Winner Game 9Game 11 - Winner Game 7 v Winner Game 8Finals:Game 12 - Winner Game 10 v Winner Game 11
Posted by: gscott13 on Fri Nov 29th, 2019 9:07 pm
I just looked at the schedules of the 13 teams and 3 teams, BE-West-Wind, LR-FA-OH and Marsh-San-Traip-Noble, are playing a tier 2 schedule and the remaining 10 are playing a tier 1. All 3 teams are playing each other twice for 4 games and M-S-T-N play 5 other class a games,LR-FA-OH play 5 other class A games and BE-W-W play 7 other class A games. I think if any of those 3 teams get into the top 9 they will have earned it. Of course that is my opinion. I welcome yours.
Scheduling was a real issue this year. Lawrence/Skowhegan, Massabesic/BE/OOB both [i:5shcsz9n]formally[/i:5shcsz9n] folded after the draft schedule was created. Then you had Ararat, Cony, and Cheverus all drop to B based on the enrollment cutoffs... Many schedules had to be altered to ensure teams would have enough games within their own class (which is a component of post-season eligibility). I know Windham/Westbrook had to backfill a ton of games after the shake-up. They had 2 each scheduled against Ararat, Cony, Lawrence/Skowhegan, and MOB. They also had Cheverus on their schedule. The result was 9 Class A (albeit tier 2) games vanished. W/W/BE's schedule added St. Doms, Lewiston, Bangor, Falmouth, Biddeford. I am almost certain that any 7 or 8 other teams had similar issues, while many had a game or two shift.The single A tournament was as much about protecting the "blue bloods" from being bumped out by a team playing a weaker schedule as it was throwing a bone to the weaker teams that usually would get one team into the north and one into the south tournaments. Those teams were facing the prospect of never having a chance at playoffs in a single A division, if only to serve as cannon-fodder.
Posted by: interloper on Fri Nov 29th, 2019 10:03 pm
Ice hockey did have more problems then normal with the schedule. It was probably 15 years ago when I had to cover for our AD at an ice hockey scheduling meeting. It was not the most orderly meeting that I ever attended.
on Tue Dec 3rd, 2019 8:15 pm
A potential problem turned into a step toward the future for boys hockey in Maine.And now Class A is playing without North and South regions this season.There were 18 teams in Class A last year, but two programs folded (Lawrence/Skowhegan and Massabesic/Bonny Eagle/Old Orchard Beach) and three more dropped down to Class B, where their enrollment numbers are a better fit (Cheverus, Cony/Monmouth/Hall-Dale and Mt. Ararat/Lisbon/Morse). That brought the number of Class A programs to an uneven but not-so-unlucky 13. “So now, all of a sudden, we’re sitting in an ice hockey meeting and trying to do the classification, and making sure everything is balanced, and we only had 13 schools,” Maine Principals’ Association Executive Director Mike Burnham said. “So somebody said, ‘Well, what if we were to do what lacrosse has already done and have one state-wide division, because they do tiered scheduling anyway, so it really doesn’t matter if you’re A or B, North or South.'” The new state-wide Class A is a welcome change for many of the coaches. “Overall, I think it’s good. I think it makes high school hockey more competitive,” Scarborough coach Jake Brown said. “I think the more competitive we can get the league the better we’ll be in the long run. So I think overall it was a good change. I think it’s going to produce a real battle all year long.” Lewiston coach Jamie Belleau said the change couldn’t have come at a better time. https://t.co/aN5HdRZEZ4