best chance of an upset

Posted by: Tomahawk86 on Thu Nov 14th, 2019 4:24 pm
I know this is going to sound weird but in my mind the two biggest potential for upsets are: Lawrence over Brunswick - Though I think the dragons are much better and it would create a better state game...the dogs seem to get better as the year goes on. That and the dragons smacked the dogs at Keyes field (which is exactly what happened last year) and then only beat Lawrence 17-14 in the PTC championship a year ago.MCI upsetting Winslow- MCI has the athletes and coaching to potentially upset the Black Raiders. Winslow was slowed in week one and since has averaged 50+ points. I don’t see them putting up 30+ against MCI. If MCI can win the turnover battle and hit some big plays they have a chance of going back to states. Look over many defensive looks from the Huskies.
Posted by: interloper on Thu Nov 14th, 2019 5:01 pm
Wasn't there a stretch of 2 to 3 years with Lawrence upsetting Brunswick in the playoffs. I want to say this was about 5 years ago.
Posted by: TAallday on Thu Nov 14th, 2019 5:22 pm
I think the best chance for an upset is Scarborough or Lawrence. Two big caveats...If the surface is wet at BE and it is a slugfest, the Scots have a clear edge in my mind. If the Dogs don’t have Regaldo, there is no way they beat the Dragons in my eyes.
Posted by: Rob Kennedy on Thu Nov 14th, 2019 5:54 pm
Wasn't there a stretch of 2 to 3 years with Lawrence upsetting Brunswick in the playoffs. I want to say this was about 5 years ago.
I am terrible at recalling scores after a few years pass, so I was curious about this so I looked it up. This is from MaxPreps, which isn't infallible, but is usually decent.2018: Dragons 14, Bulldogs 102017: Bulldogs 17, Dragons 122014: Dragons 48, Bulldogs 12 2010: Dragons 14, Bulldogs 132009: Dragons 27, Bulldogs 13Some really memorable and good games between these two. Could well have another tomorrow.NOTE: This game has been reported to have been moved to Bowdoin College. That was posted on team Facebook page. Info now says that the game has NOT officially been moved and a decision will be made in the AM.
Posted by: TAallday on Fri Nov 15th, 2019 6:30 am
Great article analyzing all the big games this weekend in the southern Maine area...https://www.pressherald.com/2019/11/14/ ... el=relatedI hope for all good games! Very proud of York for their season and I think they can run with Leavitt tonight...we shall see.
Posted by: interloper on Fri Nov 15th, 2019 9:41 pm
Lisbon with the upset, Scarboorugh came close, although that would not have been much of an upset. There are 4 more chances for an upset tomorrow.
Posted by: Rob Kennedy on Sat Nov 16th, 2019 4:01 pm
I think Winslow....will win similarly to how they did in the regular season against their opponents.....There is invariably a game that really surprises me in the playoffs every year, though. That hasn't happened yet so I'm due for it this weekend.
And here's my surprise: MCI defeats Winslow 49-21. People who watch the Huskies and Raiders can fill me in as to if this was as big an upset as it appears to me, but I sure didn't see it coming.
Posted by: Tomahawk86 on Sun Nov 17th, 2019 7:59 am
I think the 28+ point difference is a shock. But, MCI winning a regional title or state title shouldn’t be a shock to anyone. It shouldn’t surprise anyone if they upset Leavitt in Orono.
on Sun Nov 17th, 2019 8:10 am
I think the 28+ point difference is a shock. But, MCI winning a regional title or state title shouldn’t be a shock to anyone. It shouldn’t surprise anyone if they upset Leavitt in Orono.
To sum it up on one phrase, Never underestimate Tom Bertrand.