Regional Championships (B,C,D)

Posted by: Rob Kennedy on Thu Nov 14th, 2019 9:12 pm
From source at Winthrop HS: Winthrop vs Lisbon has been moved to Lewiston, but date TBA. Could be tomorrow, could be Saturday. I think that'll be official in the AM (as in it won't be decided tonight, so a call has to be made in the morning).This depends on if Leavitt decides they need to move from Turner, then Winthrop/Lisbon go at LHS on Saturday. If Leavitt continues their plan to play in Turner, Winthrop/Lisbon go tomorrow in Lewiston.
Posted by: dunbar on Thu Nov 14th, 2019 9:28 pm
Brunswick-Lawrence moved to Bowdoin, 6pm tomorrow. At this point, you might as well set neutral sites for regional finals from the start. Football and lacrosse (Class A) are the only sports not to have neutral sites for all regional championship games.
Posted by: wmtwsportsprod on Thu Nov 14th, 2019 9:40 pm
brunswick is not official according to AD....there was talk of it and the brunswick facebook page posted the change but AD then responded not so fast and any change wont be made until Friday am
Posted by: Details on Fri Nov 15th, 2019 8:18 am

At this point, you might as well set neutral sites for regional finals from the start. Football and lacrosse (Class A) are the only sports not to have neutral sites for all regional championship games.
I kind of agree. I know many of us are "old school" and like the FROZEN TUNDRA of any field or the mud and slop type of games that are a blast....but, it's kind of hard to justify playing on a frozen, snowy, muddy, clumpy, field when there could be a brand new turf field available within a 20 miles!Times have changed, but I think for better games, safety, etc., if there are better fields available then they really ought to use them.Although, with todays temps, the fields shouldn't be too bad tonight...unless that snow and ice is going to turn them into slop tonight as it thaws a little bit.
Posted by: Rob Kennedy on Fri Nov 15th, 2019 9:11 am
I just don't want the playing surface to be a significant factor in how a game goes. I agree--"frozen tundra" of old are fine memories, but I'm more in the camp of "may the best team win", and that's more likely to happen on when field considerations aren't part of the equation.
Posted by: coach hath on Fri Nov 15th, 2019 11:19 am
The Leavitt/York game will be at 7pm tonight at Libby Field in Turner
on Fri Nov 15th, 2019 12:44 pm
I just don't want the playing surface to be a significant factor in how a game goes. I agree--"frozen tundra" of old are fine memories, but I'm more in the camp of "may the best team win", and that's more likely to happen on when field considerations aren't part of the equation.
The field is always a part of the equation. A team with fast, quick backs has a distinct advantage playing on turf over a team with a big line with slow(er) powerful backs and a "five yards and a cloud of dust" mentality. "Speed kills" in football as in many other sports.
Posted by: Rambler54 on Fri Nov 15th, 2019 1:50 pm
D South Championship is now being held at Lewiston High School at 7 PM
Posted by: Rob Kennedy on Fri Nov 15th, 2019 6:23 pm
[
The field is always a part of the equation. A team with fast, quick backs has a distinct advantage playing on turf over a team with a big line with slow(er) powerful backs and a "five yards and a cloud of dust" mentality.
"Speed kills" in football as in many other sports.
I'm not referring so much to turf vs grass, but a field in poor shape that could impact the game.