Reclassification a big miss

Posted by: Rob Kennedy on Mon Nov 11th, 2019 7:31 pm
I'm in the Camp of group #4, Details. I don't see the need for that level of complexity when I think the issue could be alleviated just as well with a return to 3 11-man classes (plus the 8 man league) and reducing the number of playoff qualifiers (with statewide seedings--no N/S distinction).Now there will always be blowouts--the goal should be diminishing their probability by reducing the number of teams who really shouldn't be in the postseason that are being fed to the top seeds. If #1 demolishes #4 and then #2 in the state semis and finals, so be it. But I don't think that'd be the case nearly as much if we eliminated N/S distinctions and just played down to the final 2 teams in a class regardless of location.
on Mon Nov 11th, 2019 7:55 pm
Just for comparison when I was in high school 82-86 Class A was three divisions made up of 11 teams. Each division winner made the playoffs plus 1 wild card who was the best non-division winning team. Many 4-4 teams failed to make the playoffs back then and spots weren’t clinched till final game of season. Two weeks of playoffs was all that was needed.
Posted by: Details on Tue Nov 12th, 2019 7:46 am

Earlier in the year I brought up and idea of combining Classes A with B and C with D. From there the top 4 teams play in a playoff in each class (similar to college football). Then the remaining teams with winning records play in bowl games across the state (Colby, Bates, Husson, Orono, etc...) within their division.
That's a pretty cool idea too. Gives teams with success (like a 6-2 record but missed playoffs) a rewarding end of the year game. The Dunkin Donuts Bowl at Lewiston High School!In the scenario I produced above the Classes ended up being allocated in the following manner:Class A - 4Class B - 14Class C - 11Class D - 7Class A & B - 18 teamsClass C & D - 18 teamsThat's where the the ability to not have a Class A move down more than one tier comes in. This is probably too complex and could never be done. I like the idea of post season "bowl games". Play them on the semi-final weekend and make that two huge weeks of football back to back (along with the state games the following week).
Posted by: Details on Tue Nov 12th, 2019 7:58 am
I'm in the Camp of group #4, Details. I don't see the need for that level of complexity when I think the issue could be alleviated just as well with a return to 3 11-man classes (plus the 8 man league) and reducing the number of playoff qualifiers (with statewide seedings--no N/S distinction).
In this scenario, each class would have 22 teams and no NorthSouth designation. Would you take the top 8 at that point? I mean, you could potentially have a 5th ranked team that is undefeated, depending on scheduling. In this case, you would be decreasing the number of playoff qualifiers by half still, so I could see this working.
Posted by: dunbar on Tue Nov 12th, 2019 11:50 am
[quote="Rob Kennedy":p04czujg]I'm in the Camp of group #4, Details. I don't see the need for that level of complexity when I think the issue could be alleviated just as well with a return to 3 11-man classes (plus the 8 man league) and reducing the number of playoff qualifiers (with statewide seedings--no N/S distinction).
In this scenario, each class would have 22 teams and no NorthSouth designation. Would you take the top 8 at that point? I mean, you could potentially have a 5th ranked team that is undefeated, depending on scheduling. In this case, you would be decreasing the number of playoff qualifiers by half still, so I could see this working.[/quote:p04czujg]There won't be 66 eleven-man teams next year. I'd be shocked if there was more than 60.
Posted by: interloper on Tue Nov 12th, 2019 4:16 pm
Counting Orono and Dirigo there were 67 schools that fielded or tried to field 11 man football teams. From what I have heard Dirigo will petition to go to 8 man next year. There could be a slight stumbling block. If you abandon a season you can not field a varsity team the following year. I beleive if Dirigo asks for a waiver the MPA would grant it and allow them to play 8-man football next year. Looking at rosters from around the state there are several schools that should go to 8-man. Alas some adults may try to prevent it because they think it is about them rather that than the kids who are in the school. I have heard one negative comment from someone involved in 8-man football this year. It is quite possible that schools that are involved in a co-op team to be able to play 11-man might dissolve the co-op and play 8-man with only their kids.
Posted by: Rob Kennedy on Tue Nov 12th, 2019 5:25 pm
In this scenario, each class would have 22 teams and no NorthSouth designation. Would you take the top 8 at that point? I mean, you could potentially have a 5th ranked team that is undefeated, depending on scheduling. In this case, you would be decreasing the number of playoff qualifiers by half still, so I could see this working.
I would take the top 8, yes. I think 8 of 22 makes the regular season meaningful and ensures that only deserving teams get in--in fact, as you mention, a couple teams that could be considered deserving may not get in, but I'd prefer that to the alternative of letting teams that have no business in the postseason into the mix. One thing I really don't know, though, is whether or not Heal Points or Crabtree Points would work best for such a system. My gut says Heal Points, but someone could certainly show me evidence that Crabtrees would be better and I'd be all ears.
Posted by: interloper on Tue Nov 12th, 2019 6:50 pm
Heel points rewards you for wins. Crabtree points rewards you for playing a tough schedule. However if a team gets beat by a good team in a blowout do they deserve to get points for that?
Posted by: Rob Kennedy on Tue Nov 12th, 2019 8:15 pm
Heel points rewards you for wins. Crabtree points rewards you for playing a tough schedule. However if a team gets beat by a good team in a blowout do they deserve to get points for that?
That's the dilemma, or it would be, if my suggestion had a chance in hell of becoming reality.