Class A Pick Emí (Quarterfinals)

Posted by: dunbar on Thu Nov 7th, 2019 10:40 am
Portland and Deering are likely to co-op next year. I'd guess that they and Windham would be bumped to Class A next year, unless they move to three classes of 11-man. I'm hearing around seven schools are going to move to 8-man next year. I like the idea of the following:10 A16 B16 C16 D18 8-Man76 TOTAL
Posted by: the guru 23 on Thu Nov 7th, 2019 10:53 am
Dunbarusing last year's enrollment #'s what would that look like for divisions?
Posted by: dunbar on Thu Nov 7th, 2019 11:53 am
Dunbar
using last year's enrollment #'s what would that look like for divisions?
Depends on who plays eight-man.
Posted by: Rob Kennedy on Thu Nov 7th, 2019 12:40 pm

I like the idea of the following:
10 A
16 B
16 C
16 D
18 8-Man
76 TOTAL
I still think I'd prefer a total of 4 classes for HS football. But if there are to be 5, I can live with this because there's some semblance of balance to it. The rest of what i want is probably a pipe dream: do what Dunbar has, play 9 weeks of regular season, eliminate N/S distinction, 8 teams make the playoffs based on Heal points and not Crabtrees, and go from there.
Posted by: interloper on Thu Nov 7th, 2019 2:06 pm
I have not heard that Portland and Deering are thinking of playing a co-op next year. They did talk about it a little this year but it was never truly an option. That could have changed. I do think that more schools will switch to 8 man.Details I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that there was some sarcasm about schools getting to do what they want. But I don't see why Marshwood and Brunswick should be forced into A. There are 7 teams in B that have a larger enrollment than Marshwood and Brunswick's enrollment is close to the largest school in C than the largest school in B. Based on what I am seeing at the middle school levels I do think there could be some changes in the near future concerning who are the better teams. If anyone is interested you can go the link to see how a majority of the southern schools are doing at that level. The Atlantic division is considered a better division. Both divisions will play their championships games this weekend. You can check the scores of all games at the link below. Although one grade level is not necessarily enough to accurately predict the future, there is some ammunition for those who say that enrollment should not be the sole reason to determine classes.https://smyfl7.wixsite.com/smyfl
Posted by: xnbury on Thu Nov 7th, 2019 2:14 pm

The rest of what i want is probably a pipe dream: do what Dunbar has, play 9 weeks of regular season, eliminate N/S distinction, 8 teams make the playoffs based on Heal points and not Crabtrees, and go from there.
BUT WHAT WILL WE DO WITHOUT REGIONAL FINAL RUNNERS-UP PLAQUES!?!?!?!
Posted by: TAallday on Thu Nov 7th, 2019 8:29 pm
I am a firm believer in two things that could help Maine high school football...1) Stop being so god damn reactionary. Just because one, two, or three programs are dominant, we don't have to shuffle everyone else around to give people a chance or fair shot. All the programs that are great now have taken their lumps in the past, earned their spots today, and will struggle at some point in the future. The reactionary nature of our current competitive culture sickens me.2) Divide the teams that want to play into 3 classes based on enrollment and recalculate the classes every two years to adjust for demographic changes. I think enrollment is the easiest way to sort teams and when I did it, it put competitive teams together in large classes. Each class could come up with a regular season schedule for teams that is a mashup of "local" games (maybe 5 or 6) and "travel games" (2 or 3) based on coaches ranking the class prior to scheduling. The best teams would play each other and everyone would have their local schedule to rely on. Playoffs would no longer have many, if any, teams that don't deserve to be there.
Posted by: Details on Fri Nov 8th, 2019 7:51 am

Details I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that there was some sarcasm about schools getting to do what they want. But I don't see why Marshwood and Brunswick should be forced into A. There are 7 teams in B that have a larger enrollment than Marshwood and Brunswick's enrollment is close to the largest school in C than the largest school in B.
I guess I don't see it as being "forced". I just do not agree that enrollment is the only factor for determining where a team plays. EDIT: I just deleted a lot of what I wrote. Wrong topic for it and I'm tired of trying to explain my thoughts.Back to OH vs. Sanford thoughts in a new post!
Posted by: Details on Fri Nov 8th, 2019 7:58 am

Coach Fallon will certainly have them prepared, but by my estimation, this is going to be a very very difficult match up for THIS Sanford squad against THIS OHills squad.
Can they win, sure, but theyíre missing a ton of offensive and defensive production in terms of TDís and tackles.
Back to the topic TA and my late thoughts in the week:Matchups determine the games. I think, even though Sanford is down a few players, that they just matchup well with Oxford Hills. I've tried to learn that matchups, especially in the late part of the year and playoffs, mean more than records and scores from previous games. Even though OH appears healthier overall (and with less important players missing), Sanford will have Shain and Bickford (I think), two kids who have killed OH.I think this game is a barn burner and likely comes down to the final drive or two of the game. Matchups are the key. I think I picked OH 28 to 21, but I'm thinking this ends up more like a 3-4 point game with one team sweating it out at the end.