Portland, Deering to play as co-op team this fall

[i:1ahtd8c1]A low number of players at Deering High prompted the Rams to join forces with rival Portland[/i:1ahtd8c1]Beth Arsenault is entering her 20th season as the Portland High field hockey coach. This year, she’ll have a team like no other.That’s because the Bulldogs also will include some Rams this fall. Low numbers at Deering led the schools to combine players for one team. The team, which has yet to determine a nickname, has five Deering players.“I think they’re going to add a lot to the team,” said Arsenault. “They clearly have a love for the sport. This isn’t an easy thing to do for them. They have a love and passion for the game and they have some experience … It would have been tragic if they had not been able to continue playing.“We benefit from it, but it’s good for the city of Portland. It’s good for the sport of field hockey.”Deering made the playoffs last year, finishing with a 6-9 record, but graduated 10 seniors. And when Coach Amethyst Hersom announced she was leaving to become the Bonny Eagle coach, the returning players knew the program was in trouble.More: https://t.co/o8gbgQqfOz