Andy Bedard

Posted by: geezil on Sat Jun 8th, 2019 9:49 pm
...............Just think (for B-ball)Before TV: Waterville-Winslow drew a packed house for any contest (40"s). And there were town teams (up to 50's).Before the smart phone: The home team could draw a decent crowd.Now: Only parents and some relatives might be seen.Technology has its downside. I used to have balsa glider that could do the loop de loop, even fly a kite on occasion, or have a piece of string and a tin can that might amuse me.
Posted by: bcbc55 on Sat Jun 8th, 2019 11:01 pm
...............Just think (for B-ball)
Before TV: Waterville-Winslow drew a packed house for any contest (40"s). And there were town teams (up to 50's).
Before the smart phone: The home team could draw a decent crowd.
Now: Only parents and some relatives might be seen.
Technology has its downside. I used to have balsa glider that could do the loop de loop, even fly a kite on occasion, or have a piece of string and a tin can that might amuse me.
"geezil": Great memories those championship Winslow teams of Bill Mansfield in the late 30's, the great Waterville teams of the 40's and Waterville under Wally Donovan being the only Maine high school team ever to win a 6 state New England Schoolboy Tournament. They played the NE's at Brown University in RI before they moved the NE's to the old Boston Garden and it' s parquet floor at North Station. When Stearns won the NE's in 1963 it was only a 5 state championship as Connecticut had pulled out it's 2 teams from the NE's a year or so before.Bangor High in the 40's won the State L Championship in 1947 and went to the New Englands and played in the old Boston Gardens, but lost uin the opening round and were runnersup in State in 1948.I can remember as a 10 year old going to all the Bangor home games at the first Bangor Auditorium which was a wooden yellow painted building that held around 2000 and it was located at the current site of the Cross Insurance Center at the corners of Main and Buck Steets across from the current Hollywoods Slots.All those home Bangor games were sold out and standing room only in the late 40's.The L tournament was held at the "PIT" in Memorial Gym at the UMaine University Campus in Orono.The M and S tournaments were held in that Yellow painted wooden first Bangor Auditorium where Bangor practiced and played it's home games until 1956 when the 2nd Bangor Auditoriun known as the "Mecca" was opened.Thanks for the memories geez.
Posted by: geezil on Tue Jun 11th, 2019 3:28 pm
.........Bob--Who was the player that had first utilized the jump shot in Maine. I don't know, but I am curious to find out. Some clues include a jumper pix of Stanley Beal in the BDN (Eastern Maine D Tourney), and about the same time you had Jackie Scott (both early fiftes). As I recall, both had the shot down pat, but was there another??? It would be interesting to find out why these guys used the shot and how they came across the idea (Kenny Sailors (Montana??) invented the shot because his older brothers kept stuffing him).
Posted by: bcbc55 on Tue Jun 11th, 2019 5:11 pm
.........Bob--Who was the player that had first utilized the jump shot in Maine. I don't know, but I am curious to find out. Some clues include a jumper pix of Stanley Beal in the BDN (Eastern Maine D Tourney), and about the same time you had Jackie Scott (both early fiftes). As I recall, both had the shot down pat, but was there another??? It would be interesting to find out why these guys used the shot and how they came across the idea (Kenny Sailors (Montana??) invented the shot because his older brothers kept stuffing him).
"geezil": That is a great question. I just don' know the answer. However, I was a year behind Jack Scott in High School he graduated in 1954 and myself in 1955 and the jump shot was being used by quite a few high school players by then. I know most of my teammates and myself on the 1955 State Class L Champions Bangor high team that won two games in the New England Schoolboy Tournament on the old parquet floor of the old Boston Garden most used the jump shot along with the two hand set shot along with the one hand set shot (which was eliminated or became extinct when the 3 point shot came in because the set shooter did not want to step on the 3 point line to make it a two pointer when they took that step forward. That was a great shot because if you stepped forward and the defense took your shot away you where still on the floor so you could pass or dribble if still live. The one hand set shot was nothing more than a foul shot with a step.The jump shot followed the running one hander which followed the one hand set shot which followed the 2 hand set shot.Suggestion: FrankySpanky who is on MBR would be a good person to ask this interesting, historical question. So I will ask him now, Do you know the answer to geezils question above Franky? Thanks in advance.
Posted by: geezil on Thu Jun 13th, 2019 8:08 pm
.............Bob--Looks like no one will offer--I think the one hand push set shot (first used in Maine) was used by a guy from Gorham by the name of Teddy Jackson (late forties). Norris was a bit ahead of you at Bangor--did he have the hook in high school?
Posted by: bcbc55 on Thu Jun 13th, 2019 8:26 pm
.............Bob--Looks like no one will offer--I think the one hand push set shot (first used in Maine) was used by a guy from Gorham by the name of Teddy Jackson (late forties). Norris was a bit ahead of you at Bangor--did he have the hook in high school?
"geezil": John Norris Graduated in 1947 8 years ahead of me as I graduated from Bangor high too in 1955. His team in 1947 won the state class L and played in the New Englands and the Bangor team I played on in 1955 also won the State Class L championship and played in the New Englands too. I remember watching him play at the old yellow Bangor Auditorium which sat right where the new Cross Insurance Center sits at the corner of Main and Buck Street and watching him help the Rams to win the Eastern Maine L Tourney at the UMaine's Pit.Norris had a hook shot then. He also was the first Maine high school player that I know of that went Big time in college as he went two years (freshmen only played on freshmen teams back then) to Georgetown and then transferred to Maine for his Junior and senior years and teamed up with Keith Mahaney, Fort Fairfield to lead the Black Bears. Watched them play together at The UMaine's Memorial Gym, the famous "The PIT".Played against John Norris and a lot of other former Bangor Stars that I watched as a 10 year old in the finals of the 1957 Maine State Semi-Pro tournament held at the world famous Brewer Auditorium for the top 16 semi-pro teams in Maine by invitation. He played for the New England Pipers and I played for Danby Auto and we edged them out in overtime 76-72 in a great game and Norris lead all scorers with 17 field goals for 34 points.What a great personal thrill to play against the high school players that I watched and idled as an elementary student. Players like Gary Burke, Bob Nelson, Bob Simpson, Kern Feeney, Dana Treadwell, etc. Gary Burke had an excellent jump shot back then and BIG JOHN had his hook.Great memories. Thanks for the chance to look back.
Posted by: geezil on Fri Jun 14th, 2019 6:08 am
..............Looks to me like you answered the jump shot question--at least you have driven it back in time. let's say it was Gary Burke (if he played in the 40's). Norris teammates at Maine were Carville (York), Nixon (Gardiner), Churchill (Porter High, Bridgton). If Keith (Fort Fairfield) played with them, then I got someone tangled-He might have been a year later. The real question to ask the high school player--Where did you get the idea? (TV wasn't much then--mostly snow). By the way, nobody ever copied Bevo Francis turn around jumper and he was about that time.
Posted by: bcbc55 on Fri Jun 14th, 2019 12:06 pm
..............Looks to me like you answered the jump shot question--at least you have driven it back in time. let's say it was Gary Burke (if he played in the 40's). Norris teammates at Maine were Carville (York), Nixon (Gardiner), Churchill (Porter High, Bridgton). If Keith (Fort Fairfield) played with them, then I got someone tangled-He might have been a year later. The real question to ask the high school player--Where did you get the idea? (TV wasn't much then--mostly snow). By the way, nobody ever copied Bevo Francis turn around jumper and he was about that time.
"geezil": Keith Mahaney played 4 years at Maine, freshmen team 1951-52 and 2 varsity 1952-53 and 1953-54 as at that time freshmen could not play varsity he played with John Norris those two years on the varsity and then went into the service and returned and played 1 year at Maine 1956-57.Norris was an All-American Honorable mention in 1952-53 averaged 23.2ppg and Mahaney was All-American Honorable mention twice once in 1953-54 averaging 22.7ppg and again after returning from the service in 1956-57 averaging 22.6 ppg.TV was also mostly Test Patterns as well as snow back then. I don't really know where the idea for the jump shot by a Maine high school player came from I just know I saw it being used by Gary Burke and that is where I got my jump shot from watching him play in the early 50's at Bangor. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Posted by: MBR on Thu Sep 30th, 2021 7:16 am

Audio version ....