Alright MBR Basketball Experts: Fix the Celtics

What the hell is wrong with this team? Brad?Kyrie?Danny?Everyone?
Posted by: bcbc55 on Mon Mar 25th, 2019 6:07 pm
What the hell is wrong with this team?
Brad?
Kyrie?
Danny?
Everyone?
MattyB: Maybe they should go with the players that played so well in last years playoffs. Minus Irving and Hayward, although I could live with Hayward off the bench. Maybe the young players have backed off this year because of the return of Irving and Hayward. Reduced playing time and expected Irving and Hayward would take over and lead them which has not happened. In fairness to Hayward he is just getting over a very serious injury and he has kept his mouth shut, but not Irving. I never liked the trade for him. Too many I's in KryrIe IrvIng.
Posted by: Blind Zebra 1 on Mon Mar 25th, 2019 7:32 pm
Kyrie Irving is a good place to start. He has supreme talent and is a proven closer, but heís also injury prone going back to the 11 games he played at Duke. Irving is a ball stopper on offense and doesnít put forth much effort on defense. In my opinion, his presence hampers the development of the Celtics young core of Tatum, Brown, Rozier & Smart.The Celtics record is actually better without Irving. If you watch the games on a regular basis you see more ball movement and more players getting involved when Irving is out of the lineup . Horford appears to play more aggressively and the offense tends to run through him when Kyrie is not available.I also think Brad Stevens & Ainge are partly to blame. Stevens is an x & o genius and great in game strategist. Stevens also struggles at times with allocation of minutes based on performance. Hayward was rushed back too quickly was not even close to 100% to start the year. Jaylen Brown lost minutes to a player who wasnít performing. I donít think Stevens has handled Tatum correctly. This kid excels attacking the basket and should be coached to do this. He continues to take tons of 3ís at a falling percentage, rather than getting to the basket and to the line. I donít think the Celtics are going anywhere this season. The roster construction needs revamping. Will be an interesting off season. The Celtics have 3- first round picks. Kyrie has a year left on his deal. Ainge likes to wheel and deal. Would love to see a blockbuster to shake up things up and hopefully improve team chemistry.
Posted by: bcbc55 on Mon Mar 25th, 2019 7:57 pm
Kyrie Irving is a good place to start. He has supreme talent and is a proven closer, but heís also injury prone going back to the 11 games he played at Duke. Irving is a ball stopper on offense and doesnít put forth much effort on defense. In my opinion, his presence hampers the development of the Celtics young core of Tatum, Brown, Rozier & Smart.
The Celtics record is actually better without Irving. If you watch the games on a regular basis you see more ball movement and more players getting involved when Irving is out of the lineup . Horford appears to play more aggressively and the offense tends to run through him when Kyrie is not available.
I also think Brad Stevens & Ainge are partly to blame. Stevens is an x & o genius and great in game strategist. Stevens also struggles at times with allocation of minutes based on performance. Hayward was rushed back too quickly was not even close to 100% to start the year. Jaylen Brown lost minutes to a player who wasnít performing. I donít think Stevens has handled Tatum correctly. This kid excels attacking the basket and should be coached to do this. He continues to take tons of 3ís at a falling percentage, rather than getting to the basket and to the line.
I donít think the Celtics are going anywhere this season. The roster construction needs revamping. Will be an interesting off season. The Celtics have 3- first round picks. Kyrie has a year left on his deal. Ainge likes to wheel and deal. Would love to see a blockbuster to shake up things up and hopefully improve team chemistry.
"BZ": So we seem to agree, KyIe IrvIng is the hidden problem. Shows when their won lost record is better when KI is not in the lineup.