Maine Struggles To Keep Referees

Posted by: bcbc55 on Fri Mar 1st, 2019 2:46 pm
Cim, the blarge is only used when two different officials have differing opinions of the same play. It is an embarrassing situation as an official as it should never happen if each of the officials is concentrating on the PCA. To call a blarge as a single official is a sure way to show all in the building that you don't have confidence in your abilities and were not in the right position to make the correct call. Officials should officiate the defense to correctly call the block/charge rule!
"refrider": I was using BLARGE as a joke not anything seriously. I agree with your post 100% otherwise.
Posted by: refrider on Mon Mar 4th, 2019 8:12 am
OK so lets figure out how to grow the boards.1. Don't make so difficult to become an official. Most other sports have an open book test.2. Don't require so many damn meetings to be considered in good standing. With todays technology, there could be webinars that officials should be required to watch. Even at their own leisure.3. Have one interpreter for the entire state. 5 boards and 5 interpreters doesn't work. Again with webinars the state can be quite small if we want it to be.4. The rules are written and the mechanics manual is written by supposedly smart people. Don't let someone decide that this mechanic is not how we do it in Maine. Or this is how we are going to do it in Maine.5. Change the pay scale to make officiating worth it. $100 each for varsity. $50 each for JV Frosh. 40 each for Jr high.6. Don't penalize officials for wanting to reach higher levels of the profession. We have many really good officials that work college level games that don't get tourney games. Think Gary Agger, Jack Coyne and Bobby Clarke would have put up with that?7. Get rid of the stupid board rating systems. They are a mandate by the MPA that each board has one. Yet the board does not have to use them for assignment purposes. These ratings are usually a you give me 10's ill give you 10's sort of deal and by the way lets give joe all 7's. That helps no one.8. The cream will rise to the top if you give it enough time. As of now, people quit before they get comfortable enough to do varsity games. Time constraints, not enough assignments. too many damn meetings or officials being thrust into games where they don't belong are all factors. Lets let these people figure things out for a while by themselves. The ones that want to learn and get better will ask or go to camps.9. School administrators- Grow some balls and rid yourselves of coaches and fans that misbehave towards officials. I guarantee you AD's and principals could't do your jobs very well if someone were berating you all day.
Posted by: Justabasketballfan on Tue Mar 5th, 2019 9:05 am
Wow ... what an intelligent view, refrider.Seriously.It is most-definitely timely, relevant, informative and accurate!Here's a big key: Officials in our state are woefully underpaid compared to those in states elsewhere.Increasing the fees ... I think it's $75 currently for varsity-level basketball games, which is way too low ... would be a huge help. An increase to $95 or $100 seems extremely reasonable, and would certainly attract a larger pool of candidates to the profession.Your point No. 4 is a good one, too. Please, no "maverick" officials deciding to let fouls go uncalled because they (the official) perceives a legitimate foul doesn't give either team an advantage!!!Also, couldn't agree more with No. 9. Officials shouldn't have to take over-the-top abuse during games. If an on-site school administrator perceives the verbal abuse to be over the top, ask the offending fan to leave.Actually, I believe officials working a game also have that authority ... if they think the abuse is over the top, they have the right to ask school administrators to remove the offensive fan/fans.Again, great post.
Posted by: refrider on Tue Mar 5th, 2019 9:48 am
Justabasketballfan, thanks for the kind words. However, don't put words in my mouth with #4. I want officials to rule fouls as the rule is written. A foul is when the defense impedes progress of the offensive player or contact that is deemed to cause the game to get too rough. No where does it say in the book that all contact ic a foul. Example, if a player is in good rebounding position and goes up and secures the rebound, gets bumped slightly from behind, this is not a foul according to the rule. The rebounder did exactly what they set out to do, which was get the rebound. No whistle necessary. As a side note, my #4 point was made because PW often throws out the mechanics manual that was decided upon by others because he feels he know better than all the others that decided. He is not God as reffan states. He is but one person who has a vote. Don't make me take a mechanics test to pass my floor exam and then tell me, Oh by the way we do things differently around here!
Posted by: Justabasketballfan on Tue Mar 5th, 2019 10:56 am
Hey refrider: I'm not putting words in your mouth.I agree with your #4 suggestion.Not all contact is a foul, you're right.But, a rule is a rule.The other poster, in question, advises only fouls be called if they cause an advantage for one team.I don't think that's the intent of the rule.The other poster is advising officials to interpret the rule to his own belief.Otherwise, I'm in full agreement with everything you posted.Our state does indeed need more, and it needs better, officials.Your suggestions would go a long way towards making that happen.
Posted by: refrider on Tue Mar 5th, 2019 12:59 pm
So in your opinion, you want a whistle when a player lifts his pivot foot 84 feet from the basket under no pressure before releasing the ball on a dribble? The Intent of rules is so that neither team gains an advantage. In this case does it give the ball handler an advantage? There are times when advantage disadvantage should be used in my opinion. Now if the player under pressure lifts the pivot before releasing the ball, different story.
Posted by: fafan on Tue Mar 5th, 2019 3:57 pm
So in your opinion, you want a whistle when a player lifts his pivot foot 84 feet from the basket under no pressure before releasing the ball on a dribble? The Intent of rules is so that neither team gains an advantage. In this case does it give the ball handler an advantage? There are times when advantage disadvantage should be used in my opinion. Now if the player under pressure lifts the pivot before releasing the ball, different story.
So when the offensive player has the ball and makes contact with the sideline and there is no pressure from the defense that should be ignored and only called when the defense effects the play?Of course not and the same goes with a travel, needs to be called regardless of the situation. One rule, one interpretation.
Posted by: refrider on Tue Mar 5th, 2019 6:06 pm
Some things obviously you can't ignore. But some things you can. Besides, refs miss calls all the time not on purpose don't they? One rule....... judgment helps!
Posted by: MBR on Fri Oct 8th, 2021 5:40 am

Prep basketball facing officials shortage