Augusta Civic Center paints seat in honor of fan (Geezil)

[u:3gm8zxfe]Ed Coffin has been frequent visitor of building, basketball tournament since 1973.[/u:3gm8zxfe]AUGUSTA — Section 17, row H, seat 17 at the Augusta Civic Center is not at center court. It’s not on the aisle, one seat in from the aisle, actually, or particularly close to a restroom. The view from this seat is directly down the baseline on the north end of the arena. It’s close to the concession stand, if you want something to eat and drink while you watch the games. There might only be one man alive who would call this seat the best seat in the house.“In this seat, I’m above the rim,” Ed Coffin said. “My theory on foul shots is, if you don’t shoot them high enough, you’re going to miss. The height opens up the rim opening. We see it in a tight game, the shots tend to get less arc. I never saw anyone shoot too high… The game gets tighter, the shots get flatter. All you’ve got to do is relax and shoot.”An Augusta resident, Coffin has been attending high school basketball tournament games at the Civic Center since the building opened in 1973. For much of that time, he’s made seat 17 in row H of section 17 has been Coffin’s home away from home. Other longtime tournament watchers know, this is Ed Coffin’s seat. When you’re at the Augusta Civic Center and want to speak with Ed, this is where he’ll be.As of Thursday morning, seat 17 in row H in section 17 is Ed Coffin’s seat, now and forever.https://www.centralmaine.com/2019/02/14 ... or-of-fan/
Posted by: MBR on Fri Feb 15th, 2019 5:53 am

When you talk passion for sport and life, look no further then Geezil .. We`ll chase down a few photos over the years, but Geez got involved with MBR during the preseason tourney we ran at the portland expo. The running Cavaliers of Valley put on a show defeating Portland . Geezil shortly thereafter proclaimed "Class D forever" as he entered into the mens facilities.. I still chuckle when I think back ... He also spent many years volunteering at MBR ASW .. He insisted on coaching D East boys, which he did. He may have even inspired a few to engineering ..

Earl Kingsbury , director of ACC and a bball junkie himself, made a beautiful gesture ... Permanently painting his traditional seat yellow in honor of "Coach Coffin " pic to big to load in forum, here is the link to the pic

https://multifiles.pressherald.com/uplo ... 24x652.jpg

Be sure to wish Geezil a Happy 87th on on Feb 18... God Bless Geez !!

Posted by: davido38fan on Fri Feb 15th, 2019 10:32 am
I had the pleasure of sitting along side 'Geezil' several years ago when my son played for Vinalhaven, a very informative visit with plenty of pointers to pass on to my son to polish up his foul shooting and overall game...have a great birthday!
Posted by: Archer Bunker on Fri Feb 15th, 2019 1:19 pm
The Geez and I have had some battles over the years, but man I actually love this guy. Maybe I could get a permanent seat right beside him, well on second thought that might not be a good idea. Congrats Geezil you deserve that seat. And Happy Birthday on Monday!Class AA Forever!AB
Posted by: circle6 on Fri Feb 15th, 2019 2:53 pm
I started chatting with Geezil on MBR about 10 years ago when I went by the moniker : emmawhitecrow. Met with him at a Chills home game against Parker's Nokomis squad. He told me to look for a yellow jacket in the crowd. Funny, some colors never change.
Posted by: driveandive on Fri Feb 15th, 2019 3:29 pm
There should be a plaque on the court marking where he perfected his sky hook 3 point shot.
Posted by: Class C Dad on Fri Feb 15th, 2019 4:44 pm
Classy Guy and Classy Family!
Posted by: Carl Parker on Fri Feb 15th, 2019 8:29 pm
Good man principled and stubborn. He helped me coach an AAU team and I learned a lot. He always is a joy to visit and hopefully I will see him and his lovely bride this week, Well deserved.
Posted by: MBR on Sun Sep 26th, 2021 5:10 pm

a little more Geezil look-back thread #RIP

Augusta Civic Center paints seat in honor of fan (Geezil)

driveandive: There should be a plaque on the court marking where he perfected his sky hook 3 point shot.

https://www.mbr.org/forum/viewtopic/64935