UMaine Cheerleaders:

Posted by: MBR on Thu Oct 30th, 2014 5:45 am
‘It’s something they’re passionate about’: UMaine cheerleaders overcome challenges to share school spiritORONO, Maine — They have been a fixture at University of Maine athletic events for decades, sharing their energy and enthusiasm with the Black Bear fans. They practice 12-14 hours per week, even though they receive no athletic scholarship money and only minimal program funding. They are the UMaine cheerleading squad, young women who support UMaine athletics while participating in an extracurricular activity they love. “I’ve been cheering since I was in the first grade,” said Samantha Hopkins of Lewiston, a senior on this fall’s 24-member team. “It’s been part of my life for a very long time, so I honestly can’t picture my life without it.” That doesn’t mean UMaine cheerleaders are always wearing the big smiles that fans see during games.It’s not a ‘sport’Read more: http://bangordailynews.com/2014/10/29/s ... ol-spirit/
Posted by: Archer Bunker on Thu Oct 30th, 2014 9:51 am
Good article by Pete Warner. Cheering is a great activity for these students to be cheering on the UMO sports teams while attending college.