Three Cheers for Cheerleaders:

Posted by: MBR on Thu Mar 27th, 2014 8:03 am
Introducing Three Cheers for Cheerleadersby Rachel CoorAs I begin this new adventure into blogging about cheerleading in Maine, I feel like itís important to first establish the guidelines for the topic Iíll be writing about. Iím partial to it, so please forgive my biased opinion. Iíve had the ďIs cheerleading a sport?Ē debate many times over the course of my coaching career, and Iíve come to the conclusion that the answer is all in the eyes of the beholder. Hopefully as we move along throughout the year (I have so much to cover!), my skeptical readers will, at the very least, entertain the idea that cheerleading IS, without a doubt, a sport...Read more: http://threecheers.bangordailynews.com/ ... erleaders/
Posted by: MBR on Thu Apr 3rd, 2014 8:31 am
Safety in NumbersBy Rachel CoorCheerleading is more dangerous than all other sports. There are more injuries and more emergency room visits in cheerleading than in football. There are several high school and college cheer teams that have been prohibited from stunting and tumbling because catastrophic injuries have occurred. You may have seen the video Öread more: http://threecheers.bangordailynews.com/ ... n-numbers/
Posted by: Archer Bunker on Sun May 4th, 2014 7:37 pm
Well Rachel we could debate all day long about cheering being a sport (It isn't) I respect what some cheerleaders can do, but I have been to many high school games and I have seen many cheerleaders taped up or bandaged up from injuries. Most of the one's I have seen with a cast on or an ace bandage wrapped around their leg are clearly 20 to 30 pounds over weight which leads me to believe that a lot of these girls are not in shape to be doing these kinds of maneuvers that these cheerleaders are trying to do. Also I think when you try to do stupid things you will end up with stupid injuries. Bring back the pom-poms and the good cheers for the team to win. This new type of cheering is not cheering it's more like some kind of a glorified dance routine. Go back to real cheering or change the name of the activity to something else like maybe Dancing With The Stars Competition or something along that line.Cheering is clearly not a sport it is an activity and I believe most colleges don't consider it a sport and in most pro sports they call the Dance Teams.AB