Cheerleaders at sports events...

Posted by: SportzFan on Mon Jan 2nd, 2012 12:07 pm
What is the purpose of having cheerleaders at basketball games if all they do is stand on the sidelines with their arms folded displaying no support for their team. There is no attempt by the cheerleaders to get the fans into the games. One only has to witness a college game and see the disparity. I miss seeing the routines between halfs and during time outs. The thrill is gone.
Posted by: SportzFreak on Tue Jan 3rd, 2012 9:39 pm
This is my understanding and if I'm wrong, someone please correct me.Basketball season is also cheering comp season too. If a school has a cheering comp team, they must be affiliated with one of the school's sports teams in order to compete in the cheering competitions. So, they typically have them cheer at basketball games. However, the bigger focus of the cheerleaders is the cheering competitions.I'm speculating as to which team you are referring to and it's my understanding that they will start doing their halftime routine this Friday night during the girl's game.Their first competition is this Saturday. So, they have been trying to perfect their routine before doing it in public.
Posted by: SportzFan on Wed Jan 4th, 2012 10:09 am
I can understand the cheerleaders' reason for not doing routines during halftime or time outs, but just to stand there all during the game with their arms folded is inexcusable. It doesn't take much effort to occasionally urge the team on with shouts of "defense', "steal it", or "go team". Cheerleading(?) I guess just isn't what it used to be....They might as well just stay home and practice for their upcoming competitions.
Posted by: SportzFreak on Sat Jan 7th, 2012 5:27 pm
It's too bad that the schools wouldn't just sponsor the competition teams and not make them cheer at the basketball games. But since they don't, I agree with you. They may as well make the best of it and do a good job.