Polar Bear Tournament

Posted by: just a hockey mom on Mon Jan 3rd, 2011 7:45 pm
In the end I strongly feel that all coaches want the elite player to succeed and maybe reminding the high school coach in October about the tournament (before the schedules are done) will go a long way to helping all teams maintain the players they need for success. I agree with you 100% It's not like high school coaches don't know about these tourn. Guess that the coaches don't really care about "their" team :cry:
on Mon Jan 3rd, 2011 7:55 pm
I have seen first hand both sides of this conversation and when you get down to it, both sides are right to some degree. What it boils down to is when you take the coaches out of the picture, what is in the best interest of the player. High schools have no interest in elite players, their goal is to offer an athletic option to anyone that can skate. The best high school teams have 2 or 3 quality players, meaning ones that might have the potential to play in college. Some don't even have that. Find 4 of them and you can win a state championship. Those players are the exception, so high schools do not feel any obligation to catering the schedule to them. Ice time is at a premium and the holiday week is usually when some time is available.
But for the elite player on a high school team, there are 2 tournaments that really are must play events. One is the Polar Bear over Christmas break and the other is the Chowder Cup in August (in Mass). If you skip these, you miss 80% or more of the likelyhood to impress the next level of coaches. Hat Tricks or shut outs in high school do not impress them as much as watching you play against talent similar to your own. Even more, they won't even know of your high school accomplishments because they are not scouting high school games for the most part. They go where the quality of player against player is easy to watch.
In the end I strongly feel that all coaches want the elite player to succeed and maybe reminding the high school coach in October about the tournament (before the schedules are done) will go a long way to helping all teams maintain the players they need for success.
on Tue Jan 4th, 2011 5:38 pm

As far as the tournament goes,
Central Maine won all of it's game but was not allowed to proceed due to missing an early morning game during the blizzard. They should have won their bracket. Tough call for the coach. They played in the U 17B bracket and were clearly the best team. Lady Breakers played in the 17AA bracket and played weel. They were competitive in every game. They went 1-2-1 and had a chance to go 3-1. I think penalties and a scoring drought were contributing factors. Both goalies played fair, but should have played better. I didn't have a chance to watch Lewiston U19. Can't say how they played.
JUST LET THE KIDS PLAY HOCKEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Team Maine,According to the PB website, Central Maine did not win all of their games. In addition to the forfeit against Assabet for not showing up, they also lost 4-2 to the Wallingford Hawks from CT. Not sure why you say they should have won their bracket and were the best team?? The team they lost to lost in the championship game to the team they forfeited to. I'd say they were no better than 3rd best. Maybe the team should have left the day before rather than waiting until the morning of an 8:30 am game to get on the road in a blizzard. Or was the plan to just take the forfeit and win the rest of their games to get to the playoff round?? :oops: Now onto the Lady Breakers. Losing to the MA Spitfires U16 Minor team 5-1 is competitive? You were also shut-out by Team Pittsburgh 3-0, so how do you figure you had a chance to go 3-1? Maybe 2-2 at best. Funny how last year you were looking for every chance to knock this team, now that your daughter is on it, they are great. And no, I'm not knocking them. They are a good team this year .....just like they were last year.
on Tue Jan 4th, 2011 7:50 pm
Team Maine,According to the PB website, Central Maine did not win all of their games. In addition to the forfeit against Assabet for not showing up, they also lost 4-2 to the Wallingford Hawks from CT. Not sure why you say they should have won their bracket and were the best team?? The team they lost to lost in the championship game to the team they forfeited to. I'd say they were no better than 3rd best. Maybe the team should have left the day before rather than waiting until the morning of an 8:30 am game to get on the road in a blizzard. Or was the plan to just take the forfeit and win the rest of their games to get to the playoff round?? :oops: Now onto the Lady Breakers. Losing to the MA Spitfires U16 Minor team 5-1 is competitive? You were also shut-out by Team Pittsburgh 3-0, so how do you figure you had a chance to go 3-1? Maybe 2-2 at best. Funny how last year you were looking for every chance to knock this team, now that your daughter is on it, they are great. And no, I'm not knocking them. They are a good team this year .....just like they were last year.[/quote]Coach,You had ten months to ponder your comeback from your last misgiving and this is it? I giggle as I don't know where to start with you. First off Central Maine did go down the day before. So did the Breakers, or most of them that I know of. Secondly if you read the tournament rules you would know if you forfieted one game you are automatically disqualified for extended tournament play. So where is the wisdom of forfieting a game????????????? :oops: Also if you were in Conn you would realize the CM goalie headed home after the first two wins to go to a .......you guessed it...a HS game! CM played with a girl who had never played goal in the 4 to 2 defeat and had the game meant anything they did have a more than qualified back up. But then again you would know that why.....because you were there????? :oops: :roll: Then again if you were there you might have seen the Team Pittsburg game. Anyone watching would have clearly admitted that the Breakers out played the Pittsburg team, and yes my goalie could of and should have done a better job. And just for the record, they are a better team than they were last year ;) ;) ;) JUST LET THE KIDS PLAY HOCKEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on Wed Jan 5th, 2011 12:05 am

Coach,
You had ten months to ponder your comeback from your last misgiving and this is it?
Comeback??? Is this what you use this site for? All I was doing was questioning your comments. You said "Central Maine won all of it's game but was not allowed to proceed due to missing an early morning game during the blizzard." When in fact they lost a game other than the forfeit. Oh yes, their goalie went home so it doesn't count as a loss. :roll: So if the team was in CT on Monday morning, why didn't they go to the game? There were more than 20 games played prior to 8:30 am that morning. That's more than 40 other teams that were able to get to rinks in time, so why not the Central Maine team? Just curious. Trust me, I know the tournament rules. Just not sure that the Central Maine coach did.Also if you were in Conn you would realize the CM goalie headed home after the first two wins .... Umm, I was in CT but I didn't get the memo that the Central Maine goalie in the 17B division was going home. Not everyone was watching the 17B division :lol: Then again if you were there you might have seen the Team Pittsburg game. Anyone watching would have clearly admitted that the Breakers out played the Pittsburg team, and yes my goalie could of and should have done a better job.I'm willing to bet that Team Pittsburgh wouldn't agree. And even if your goalie coulda, woulda, shoulda saved them all, you still need to score to win.Just because someone isn't there watching your team, it doesn't mean that they weren't at the tournament. Or maybe that "someone" was watching your team :o
on Wed Jan 5th, 2011 7:28 am
Still giggling coach,You were no more at the tournament than the trees are starting to sprout leaves on the Portland common today. You can do alot of scrolling on a computer but you can't make up the actual facts. There was a blizzard and several teams did not make the tournament. (If you were there you would know) Certain parts of Conn were getting pounded while other parts were bright and sunny. I will chaulk you up to the blow hard that you are based off your last post that I called you out on. And we both know what that was all about right Coach???? :oops: :oops: :oops: JUST LET THE KIDS PLAY HOCKEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on Wed Jan 5th, 2011 9:53 am
Really Team Maine, I wasn't there? Funny how I seem to recall watching a couple of games in Northford. Also watched many games in Newington. Oh, and also watched a few in Cromwell. You should be familiar with Cromwell seeing how the Biddeford Breakers played all of their games there. I had many good conversations with the small, older gentleman working the front table. You know, the one wearing the CAT ball cap. Or maybe YOU weren't there."Blow hard", now isn't that the pot calling the kettle black. You may want to be careful about what you post on these public forums. You are not doing your daughters any favors.
on Wed Jan 5th, 2011 10:16 am
Yeah coach,Thanks for the advice. Would you care to write a recommendation for my girls? Thanks for the chuckles!!!!!JUST LET THE KIDS PLAY HOCKEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on Thu Jan 6th, 2011 10:30 pm
I'm surprised that the MPA doesn't try to adopt the same rules that the MIAA (Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association) uses. They are as follows;
Members of a school team are precluded from missing a high
school practice or competition in order to participate in a non-school athletic
activity/event in any sport recognized by the MIAA.
First Offense:
Student athlete is suspended for 25% of the season.
Second Offense:
Student athlete is suspended for an additional 25% of the season, and is
ineligible for tournament play immediately upon confirmation of the
violation.
I can say that this works in keeping players from missing school games and practices for club teams. My daughter plays on a Massachusetts based Girls Club Hockey Team that played at the Polar Bear Tournament. Massachusetts High School girls on her team missed tournament games because they had to go to their high school teams games and/or practices.
I do not necessarily agree with this rule, but it does keep the girls from having to make the tough decision of which game/practice to attend.
Hey Hockey4Me, is it safe to assume that your daughter is Kara Violette?