Top 10 Players of the Last Decade

Posted by: swedishfish on Mon Dec 13th, 2010 9:53 pm
Ryan GayDavid GusheeJohnny Hayes IVToby SpectorShawn WarrenKeegan FennesseyTyler MacPhieWill RobinsonBrian AngisJJ Harris[u:1i71bolw]Honorable Mention[/u:1i71bolw]Henry FallTim MilletShawn KeenanJohn WhitemanAnthony ArditoRon KeltonMatt CampbellSeth Sweet (Would be in top 10 assuming he has a great senior season)What are your thoughts?
on Mon Jan 31st, 2011 1:26 pm
Dan Slavin
on Wed Feb 2nd, 2011 5:47 pm
dan slavin..? really..?and i agree with your list although i wouldnt have them in that order..if you are going by just high school career and not a U18 career id make some changes. id think that youd have to move shawn warren up. hes by far the best player to come out of maine in the last 10 years. id say hes top three for best to ever come out of the state of maine. Id ahve to say him, Jerry Diphillipo (sp) and of course the great Ray Lebel. your top 10 look solid but your honorable mention are questionable.. id have to agree with sweet. but idk about ardito. he tried to play at holy cross but fell off the map after that.. Fall id have to question. and your boy Angis is solid but i dont recall how he did freshman-junior but i remember he was 2 to Cummings.. other than that id say solid list sweedishfish!
Posted by: swedishfish on Wed Feb 2nd, 2011 10:42 pm
dan slavin..? really..?
and i agree with your list although i wouldnt have them in that order..
if you are going by just high school career and not a U18 career id make some changes. id think that youd have to move shawn warren up. hes by far the best player to come out of maine in the last 10 years. id say hes top three for best to ever come out of the state of maine. Id ahve to say him, Jerry Diphillipo (sp) and of course the great Ray Lebel. your top 10 look solid but your honorable mention are questionable.. id have to agree with sweet. but idk about ardito. he tried to play at holy cross but fell off the map after that.. Fall id have to question. and your boy Angis is solid but i dont recall how he did freshman-junior but i remember he was 2 to Cummings.. other than that id say solid list sweedishfish!
Angis won the Maine Junior Championship when he was 14 in the 13-14 year old division, he actually beat Cummings in the final. So that would have been the summer going into their freshman year if I remember correctly. He was the 6 man as a sophomore but could have beaten anyone on the team on any day. Not to take anything away from Cummings but I think he was better than Cummings as a junior even though Cummings played ahead of him. And his senior season he was the best player in the state. Yes I have a bais but I really think he deserves to be on the list. One of the big things was his consistency. He never blows up and performs well under pressure. Made it to the finals of the Maine Junior Champion when he was 17, going into his senior year. And, of course, won the Individual high school title and led his team to the team title as a senior. Could be my bias talking, he is one of my closest friends after all, but I think he deserves it!You are definitely right about Warren. I think he should be at 2...not sure what I was thinking. I think Gay was better but one could definitely make a convincing argument for Warren being number 1.I put Fall on the list for his ability to make birdies. What held him back from being really great was that he made a lot of bogeys to go along with those birdies. My honorable mention list was in no particular order, I was just kind of throwing names out off the top of my head. I like the names you added, they definitely deserve it. Feel free to keep the names coming if you have them!
on Thu Feb 3rd, 2011 6:03 pm
id have to add Jesse Speirs, Mike Hersey (from up north, plays at Husson now), and John Kostis. Kostis didnt play high school here but played msga and practiced here during the summer months so idk if you want to count him...So here is my list in order..1) Shawn Warren2) Ryan Gay3) David Gushee4) Keegan Fennessy5) Toby Spector6) Mike Hersey 7) Jesse Speirs8) Johnny Hayes9) JJ Harris10) Brian AngisHonorable Mention:1)Will Robinson2) Tyler Macphie3) Tim Millett4) DJ Honan5) John Whiteman6) Shawn Keenan7) Anthony Ardito8) Henry Fall9) Seth Sweet10) Ron Keltonagree or major changes?
Posted by: swedishfish on Thu Feb 3rd, 2011 9:13 pm
I would move things around a little but nothing major. Good list!
Posted by: maine88 on Wed Mar 9th, 2011 10:06 am
Jessie Spears is easily the best Junior golfer to come out of Maine. He was in the top 50 in the AJGA standings coming out of high school, remember his 63 at the Bangor Open??? at age 15. His junior career tops any other golfer that has come from Maine even Ryan Gays. My number 2 player would have to be Shawn Warren, he also has the lowest scoring average ever at Marshall University. Ryan Gay would go #3, great junior career. Gushee and Hayes would be at a tie in my opinion.