Top Teams & Individuals for 2010?

Posted by: interloper on Sat Sep 18th, 2010 9:08 pm
Mia Rapolla is the best overall girl athlete in the state.
Posted by: baseketball on Sat Sep 18th, 2010 11:17 pm
Mia Rapolla is the best overall girl athlete in the state.
This may be true. In cross country she could be as high as #4 behind Leonardi, Durgin and Mace.
Posted by: strategery on Sun Sep 19th, 2010 12:04 pm
[quote="interloper":225i3we2]Mia Rapolla is the best overall girl athlete in the state.
This may be true. In cross country she could be as high as #4 behind Leonardi, Durgin and Mace.[/quote:225i3we2]And that is misleading even, because I don't believe Maine has ever had three girls as good as those three at the same time in XC. Moody-Roberts and Hintz is as close as I remember.
Posted by: interloper on Sun Sep 19th, 2010 1:56 pm
[quote="baseketball":3m8ng1js][quote="interloper":3m8ng1js]Mia Rapolla is the best overall girl athlete in the state.
This may be true. In cross country she could be as high as #4 behind Leonardi, Durgin and Mace.[/quote:3m8ng1js]And that is misleading even, because I don't believe Maine has ever had three girls as good as those three at the same time in XC. Moody-Roberts and Hintz is as close as I remember.[/quote:3m8ng1js]I believe this current group of female distance runners might be the best group of athletes in a sport in the history of the state. I feel they are superior to the group of female throwers that are currently in college, 3 of whom are in D1. Leonardi and Durgin are top level D1 material and Mace and Hendry could end up in D1 as well. Is there another sport, not just track and field event, where this many girls are under coaches eyes across the entire country? Rapolla will more than likely hand up her cross-country shoes when she goes to college but considering this is only her 2nd season of competitive running, she would have a huge upside if she were to run in college.
Posted by: oscar on Sun Sep 19th, 2010 2:23 pm
interloper, I agree 100% not even close. These girls rank at the top of NE in their sport no other sport in Maine comes close. The number of runners that continue in their sport in all Div I-III totally blows away all other sports. On a seperate note I still can't believe the race up in Belfast does not get more pub in this area, it has to have more students boys /girls competing in one day then any event in Maine.
Posted by: strategery on Sun Sep 19th, 2010 8:34 pm
interloper, I agree 100% not even close. These girls rank at the top of NE in their sport no other sport in Maine comes close. The number of runners that continue in their sport in all Div I-III totally blows away all other sports. On a seperate note I still can't believe the race up in Belfast does not get more pub in this area, it has to have more students boys /girls competing in one day then any event in Maine.
I have argued endlessly with reporters about lack of coverage for TF/XC. You can not tell me that Belfast FOC or a conference championship does not have as many competitors and spectators as a non-state game in just about any sport.
Posted by: oscar on Mon Sep 20th, 2010 5:59 am
Last year at FOC: Boys Frosh 131, Seeded 187, Unseeded 246/ Girls Frosh 102, Seeded 164, Unseeded 170. Grand total of 1000 runners one day event pretty impressive.
Posted by: ommmm on Mon Sep 20th, 2010 9:40 pm
The Cheverus Girls Team is going to be hard to beat this year and next as their top finishers are 3 juniors and 2 freshmen. On Friday their average time was 19:31. The Cheverus team last fall at states averaged 19:53.
Posted by: baseketball on Tue Sep 21st, 2010 9:57 pm
The Cheverus Girls Team is going to be hard to beat this year and next as their top finishers are 3 juniors and 2 freshmen. On Friday their average time was 19:31. The Cheverus team last fall at states averaged 19:53.
But that 19:31 was also on a much faster course than Twin Brooks, where the States were held last year. Simply listing those times doesn't mean this year's Cheverus team is superior to last season's team.However, I agree with the point that Cheverus will be tough to beat. If they stay healthy they will win A. A key injury could open the door for Massabessic, Mt. Ararat or Brunswick. In combined State results from all classes Cape Elizabeth would be the most likely team to give Cheverus a challenge.