A near miss not enough to spoil Geoghegan's season

Posted by: MBR on Sun Dec 6th, 2009 9:38 am
Boys' Cross Country: A near miss not enough to spoil Geoghegan's season Will Geoghegan just missed qualifying for Foot Locker nationals, but still had an outstanding fall.By GLENN JORDAN, Staff WriterA Connecticut runner who had befriended Will Geoghegan at a Colby College running camp came upon him in the finishing chute of the Foot Locker Northeast Regional cross country race last Saturday in Kings Park, N.Y."You make it?" asked Tully Hannan of West Hartford, eyes wide both from the effort expended over the hilly 5,000-meter course at Sunken Meadow State Park and from the sight of Geoghegan at the front of the chute, with no one ahead of him."I was 11th," Geoghegan said quietly, glancing briefly at a tent containing the 10 runners who qualified for the nationals in San Diego next Saturday."Nooooooooo!" exclaimed Hannan. "That is, by far, the worst position ever!"Upon further reflection, Geoghegan's position wasn't all that bad. A repeat winner of the Class A state title in Maine. Third-place finish in New England. Owner of a perfect 2400 score on the SAT Reasoning Test. Near-certain plans to continue running at Dartmouth College next year."I'm all right with it," Geoghegan said. "I would have liked to go (to San Diego), but I'm fine."Click for full storyhttp://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story ... 4&ac=PHspt
Posted by: strategery on Tue Dec 8th, 2009 12:22 pm
nice article, good picks. tough to choose the last couple spots.