82-220-10.......It's Over!

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: 82-220-10.......It's Over!

Postby mainejeff » Thu May 22, 2008 3:15 pm

mainejeff wrote:
xcoach30 wrote:Guess the softball rumors were true...Coincidentally, former UM sb coach, Deb Smith is not returning to her Rhode Island coaching position next year either, according the URI website.

How do you know that they are true? Has it been in the news?

Looks like it was reported on WABI-TV. Of course UMaine mouth pieces Bangor Daily News and Portland Press Herald have no mention at all. And the UMaine website still lists her as head coach :lol: :lol: :lol:.

Good 'ole UMaine.......ever so secretive and ALWAYS on the ball...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
mainejeff

Postby xcoach30 » Thu May 22, 2008 5:02 pm

It was in today's Bangor Daily...their contracts were not renewed. I would hate to think that Sullivan's issues had an impact on Lynn Coutts status as an assistant...it appears this is the case. According to James, the reason for the decision was "an accumulation of things." He said they're looking to go in a new direction. We'll see.
xcoach30

Postby mainejeff » Thu May 22, 2008 7:11 pm

xcoach30 wrote:It was in today's Bangor Daily...their contracts were not renewed. I would hate to think that Sullivan's issues had an impact on Lynn Coutts status as an assistant...it appears this is the case. According to James, the reason for the decision was "an accumulation of things." He said they're looking to go in a new direction. We'll see.

The Coutts family just can't get a break! First Mike is passed over for the baseball position (in favor of Kosty) and now this. I wonder if this affects Ashley Kelly's (Hermon) decision? Prior to her knee injury she was considering UConn as well, and honestly is probably a better pitching talent than the UMaine program deserves. Due to her injury, she might not have much of a choice now.......but I'm sure that Blake James will let her out of her LOI.
mainejeff

Postby mainejeff » Thu May 22, 2008 7:15 pm

By the way......is anyone else tired of Blake James keeping coaches that are obviously targeted for termination before the season even started? Same thing happened with McInerney. The guy is a HORRIBLE leader and manager of people and programs........when will alums, donors, students, and fans tell that drone of a UMaine President that enough is enough!
mainejeff

Postby MSweet57 » Thu May 22, 2008 10:16 pm

“better pitching talent than the UMaine program deserves.”

Honestly, this is the attitude that really hurts UMaine and unfortunately it’s all over these boards. Imagine being a recruit or parent and coming across this board and reading this and some of other comments, most of which state something along the lines of if you’re any good you wouldn’t be here.

Good luck keeping the 2009s that committed to Sullivan. It should be interesting to see how that plays out. I think the softball program was headed in a good direction and changing over the staff is a huge mistake but that’s just my opinion.
MSweet57

Postby mainejeff » Fri May 23, 2008 12:05 am

MSweet57 wrote:“better pitching talent than the UMaine program deserves.”

Honestly, this is the attitude that really hurts UMaine and unfortunately it’s all over these boards. Imagine being a recruit or parent and coming across this board and reading this and some of other comments, most of which state something along the lines of if you’re any good you wouldn’t be here.

Good luck keeping the 2009s that committed to Sullivan. It should be interesting to see how that plays out. I think the softball program was headed in a good direction and changing over the staff is a huge mistake but that’s just my opinion.

I don't think that Maine will keep one of those 2009 recruits......and honestly, with a completely new staff.....it may be best for the recruits and program if they went elsewhere. We don't need another exodus like the women's basketball program recently experienced.

It does seem like the women's programs at Maine recently have really had a difficult time of it. From the coaches to the players to the recruits to the won-loss records......everything seems topsy turvy. What gives?
mainejeff

Postby SeaDogsFan » Fri May 30, 2008 9:37 am

Well, I know with the women's hockey program both at Maine and most other places: Nobody gives a damn. I watched a game briefly on NESN, it looked like Dolphin Stadium during a Marlins game. Or the MCI gym during a prep tourney game involving 2 other schools.

Everything else: No idea. I do know women's basketball and softball are about the only 2 women's sports I can bring myself to remotely care about. Field hockey, at least at the high-school level and below, doesn't deserve to be called a sport on the grounds that there's a whistle every 10 seconds. It's like traffic after a tourney game @ the ACC, Bangor, CCCC.

Speaking of minor sports... when the hell is lacrosse gonna take its place among major sports in the US? MLL had a golden chance during the NHLOL lockout, and I think they added a couple of expansion teams, but otherwise made little to no progress at least in the media.

gogo lax!
"Brace yourself everyone. Here come the uneducated rants of fans that know what really happened but choose to revel in the obserdity" ~ ballerdad
SeaDogsFan

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics