BEST MAINE H.S. BASEBALL PLAYERS EVER

post info & talk all things baseball...

Re: BEST MAINE H.S. BASEBALL PLAYERS EVER

Postby Belfast Lions » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:46 am

Tim Murphy of Searsport and Husson College...great high school and college player and I'm bias toward old Viking Players...
Belfast Lions

Postby magnetic » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:12 am

Randy White from Deering (early '80's)....hell of a southpaw slinger...had a solid career at USM and for Nappi Distributors in the twilight league. Unhittable at times!
magnetic

Postby brewhabram » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:00 pm

Matt Kinney--Bangor, pitched in 2 or 3 state championships and won 2 of them. The last one a great pitching duel with a kid from Porland. Bangor won 1-0 on an error on a pick off in the 7th or 8th inning of a runner at 3rd base.

Billy Swift--Had a great high school career, also a great college career and played in Omaha a couple of times. Had a shot with the Olympic team, and had a decent career with the Mariners and Giants (20 wins, cy young chase, mvp chase)

Mark Rodgers--of the recent times a very good hs pitcher

there are many more to add to the list.

I know that all the names I have mentioned have been said, but I felt that my vote was worth repeating.
brewhabram

Postby billzfan34 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:20 pm

There has never been a pitcher in the SMAA (Telegram) that was more dominant than Mark O'Brien of Deering. In those days, the Telegram played nine innings and he averaged over 20 strikeouts per game. He threw a no hitter in the Western Maine Final against SP but unfortunately lost. He was drafted by the Texas Rangers. I personally believe he was the best baseball player ever to pitch in high school in Maine. He didn't make it because of personal reasons in the pros but his stuff was unhittable. Lefty who could hit the low 90's on his fastball, had a sharp curveball and pinpoint location.

Is he the same Mark O'brien who was Gatorade Basketball player of the Year in 1990? Sounds like helluva an athlete.
Arrive...Raise Hell...Leave
billzfan34

Postby bandemsdad » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:31 pm

Craig Secord
bandemsdad

Postby billzfan34 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:40 pm

Craig Secord

What other credentials did he have besides a Legion MVP award?
Arrive...Raise Hell...Leave
billzfan34

Postby Louisiana Fastball » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:01 pm

Secord was a player, but It sure was an unfortunate early end to a promising career back in the late 80s.
Louisiana Fastball

Postby Steaglesfan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:07 am

It is the same O'Brien. He was also a pretty good QB although I don't think he liked football too much. I believe he led the SMAA in scoring, rebounds, and assists. He was a great hoops player. But baseball was his best sport by far.

Couple of other names from the late 80's era which was fantastic for baseball:

Pease - Bonny Eagle
Aceto - Cape Elizabeth (pitched at U. of Miami)
Dillon - Scarborough
Sequin - Lewiston
Millington - SP
D'Andrea - Portland
Steaglesfan

Postby Xbulldog » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:41 am

I never saw anyone dominate a high school game like MArk Obrien. Fans would cheer if the opponent touched the ball at all. the no hitter he lost had two triples and was left on base both times,
Xbulldog

Postby bucksfan67 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:44 am

Tom Vanidestine of Bangor, went on to play at Maine and hit four doubles in one game during Maine's spring trip to Florida. This was a collegiate record I don't know if it still is or not.
bucksfan67

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball: Maine High School & Amateur