82-220-10.......It's Over!

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

82-220-10.......It's Over!

Postby mainejeff » Sun May 18, 2008 11:49 pm

The horrendous 2007/2008 UMaine athletics year is officially over.......thank God!

The gory stats:

Baseball: 20-28-1
Men’s Basketball: 7-23
Football: 4-7
Men’s Ice Hockey: 13-18-3
Men’s Soccer: 3-13-1
Women’s Basketball: 7-23
Field Hockey: 5-11
Women’s Ice Hockey: 4-27-3
Women’s Soccer: 6-8-3
Softball: 11-39
Women’s Volleyball: 2-23

2007/2008 UMaine Athletics Overall Record: 82-220-10 (27.2% )

I'd like to think that it could improve in 2008/2009.......but I think that we may be in for a long dry spell for UMaine athletics. I doubt that any coaches are on the hot seat because quite frankly, winning is just not important in Orono (Blake James has stated that himself). So we look toward the future......and hope that UMaine athletes can behave themselves and get good grades.......it's the least that they can do.
mainejeff

Re: 82-220-10.......It's Over!

Postby bainsey » Mon May 19, 2008 7:53 am

Jeff Solari of WZON did a little research, and found that 15 Division I schools had teams with all losing records this year. However, when you remove the schools that have been D-I only for a few years, or schools with fewer than 10,000 enrollment, Maine is only one of two schools that fit this category. (Idaho is the other.)

Again, a perfect storm of rebuilding years? Something missing from every single program (like a field goal kicker, a sniper, a point guard, or consitent pitching)? Is UMaine spreading itself too thin with all of these sports? Should personnel changes be made, or should schollies be shuffled?

I don't have the scholly numbers for any of these sports, so it may be wise to know the numbers before making suggestions.
bainsey

Postby mainejeff » Mon May 19, 2008 11:59 am

Nice post bainsey. Glad to see that you have an open mind about all of this.

I'm not sure what the answers are......they might not be the same for every sport. I'd like to think that at least a few of the sports were just in rebuilding mode and can start turning it around. One would think that football, men's basketball and baseball would be in the best positions to improve next season. I still think every program needs to go under the microscope......it's only going to get more expensive to support this broad based athletic program.......and Title IX really limits what can be done and what can be cut.

While football would seem to be the most apparent target to cut......at least it seems like they are making an effort to be as self-sufficient as possible by scheduling I-A games (the FSU game is a $450,000 payday). And other than hockey, cutting football may cause the most damage with alums and in terms of marketing the university.

On a side note, I hate to put a rumor out there, but has anyone else heard that the softball staff has been let go?
mainejeff

Postby bainsey » Mon May 19, 2008 8:29 pm

Haven't heard any such rumor, but nothing would surprise me either way.

As for everything else, well said, Jeff. I wouldn't worry about cutting football. If you take a look at the cuts URI just made, they made every effort to keep football, and I would suspect that UM administrators would do the same, if they had to make cuts. And you're right. Most UM games are just games. A football game, as viewed by many, is an event.

Okay, let's say UM cut a women's sport. Would there be enough room to distribute those schollies to the other women's sports? Or is there a detail that I'm missing?
bainsey

Postby xcoach30 » Wed May 21, 2008 9:09 am

I heard the same softball rumor. Who knows? It's been pretty disappointing to watch this unfold this year. Along with the rumors about the removal of staff, I've heard lots of rumors about how poorly (actually, awful) Coach Sullivan treats her players. I realize that this is Division I and supposed to be "hard," but Coach Anderson never treated her players poorly. She took them to the NCAA's, she won conferences, she built the program. She was, and is, a class act. Not sure I can say the same for Sullivan. She's driving players away, not building a program, and we can't even use the tired excuse of her being new and not working with the players she recruited. It's a shame that players leave programs--it tells me they weren't respected, appreciated. College athletes may be more talented, more competitive, but they still want the same things out of sports that middle school athletes want. They want to feel successful, like they can contribute, like they're part of something important. When players feel expendable, as some have been made to feel, you can't expect to have a successful season. You can't expect players you've treated poorly to perform, or even WANT to perform. You want your athletes to feel proud of their team, and the coach is often the voice of the team. To Sullivan's credit, she's a gifted speaker, who can put a positive spin on the nightmare of the season. But, she's never taken much responsibility for WHY it's the case.
xcoach30

Postby mainejeff » Wed May 21, 2008 12:06 pm

xcoach30 wrote:I heard the same softball rumor. Who knows? It's been pretty disappointing to watch this unfold this year. Along with the rumors about the removal of staff, I've heard lots of rumors about how poorly (actually, awful) Coach Sullivan treats her players. I realize that this is Division I and supposed to be "hard," but Coach Anderson never treated her players poorly. She took them to the NCAA's, she won conferences, she built the program. She was, and is, a class act. Not sure I can say the same for Sullivan. She's driving players away, not building a program, and we can't even use the tired excuse of her being new and not working with the players she recruited. It's a shame that players leave programs--it tells me they weren't respected, appreciated. College athletes may be more talented, more competitive, but they still want the same things out of sports that middle school athletes want. They want to feel successful, like they can contribute, like they're part of something important. When players feel expendable, as some have been made to feel, you can't expect to have a successful season. You can't expect players you've treated poorly to perform, or even WANT to perform. You want your athletes to feel proud of their team, and the coach is often the voice of the team. To Sullivan's credit, she's a gifted speaker, who can put a positive spin on the nightmare of the season. But, she's never taken much responsibility for WHY it's the case.

Thanks for that insight. I'm sure that we'll find out about all of this on the UMaine website about 6 months from now. Seems like UMaine needs to study candidates a bit more when considering them for an open coaching position. I don't think that everyone is prepared when taking over the reigns of programs at UMaine........it is a tough place to recruit and win (and there really isn't even a very high level of expectations compared to other D-1 programs). Softball is one program that should be on the chopping block if cuts need to be made. To play only 8 or 9 (out of 50) games at home is ridiculous).......I don't think that ANYONE can consistently win with that program.
mainejeff

Postby gofour » Wed May 21, 2008 1:28 pm

Mainejeff, I am extremely glad that the U Maine leaders don’t look to you for insight when making decisions that affect an athletic program or a student athlete’s future. Regardless of the coaching situation, your execution style answer to a situation would affect a great deal of students and people who support the team. We shouldn’t throw the baby out with the bath water. There wasn’t a single team with a winning record this year and you target softball. Two years ago the program was atop the American East. Quitting is too easy Mainejeff and is not the answer. Let's send a positive message and support the program through tough times.
gofour

Postby mainejeff » Wed May 21, 2008 2:38 pm

Can you tell us more about the coaching situation gofour?

I bet that most posters on this board understand the UMaine athletic program better than Blake James does. I would be happy to take over the athletic program and makes the tough cuts that NEED to be made. It will be a GREAT day when he finally leaves Orono......he came here because of his buddy Nero, and now he is stuck in a losing situation......serves him right! Be careful which stepping stones you choose......looks like he chose the wrong one. :lol: :lol: :lol:
mainejeff

Postby xcoach30 » Thu May 22, 2008 2:31 pm

Guess the softball rumors were true...Coincidentally, former UM sb coach, Deb Smith is not returning to her Rhode Island coaching position next year either, according the URI website.
xcoach30

Postby mainejeff » Thu May 22, 2008 3:10 pm

xcoach30 wrote:Guess the softball rumors were true...Coincidentally, former UM sb coach, Deb Smith is not returning to her Rhode Island coaching position next year either, according the URI website.

How do you know that they are true? Has it been in the news?
mainejeff

Next

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics