Edniesha Curry to instill confidence in Maine Men's Team

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Edniesha Curry to instill confidence in Maine Men's Team

Postby thebam » Mon May 07, 2018 1:33 pm

Blackbear28 wrote:I could definitely be wrong but as far as I know Walsh is the only basketball coach in Maine history to have one player break another players jaw.

yeah, because a player being a total thug is entirely the coach's fault?
thebam

Postby bcbc55 » Mon May 07, 2018 2:06 pm

Many coaches get what they recruit especially at D-1 if they recruit usually in the following order of importance to the coach which usually seems to be as follows:

1st. Athleticism
2nd. basketball skills
3rd. grades to seek to graduate
4th. Good human beings

when maybe they should recruit in the reverse order of
1st. Good human beings
2nd. grades to seek to graduate
3rd. basketball skills
4th. athleticism

coaches who demand not get not.

The intangibles are more important then the tangibles especially if your team is a 250-351 ranked RPI D-1 team.

Brad Sevens proved that at the college D-1 level when he got Butler to the NCAA finals 2 years in a row and then has taken that philosophy of coaching to the NBA and look how he has turned the Celtics around.

He has looked at the following in order in the NBA when drafting, trading, etc: Much like the San Antonio Spurs have done the past 20 years. Celtics are the Spurs of the eastern Conference.

Siining for future success:

1st. good human beings
2nd. coachablity
3rd. good basketball players
4th. atheticism

Danny Ainge has to get great credit for hiring a coach from the college D-1 level that did not have great athleticism on his college team, but did the right things to have them overachieve and get to the NCAA finals twice.

It has shown the Stevens coaching philosophy will work in the PRO's as well as the college level if you do the right things, at the right times fir the right reasons.

Just my basketball opinions though. Like "Different basketball strokes for different basketball folks" or "What floats others basketball boat may not float my basketball boat".
bcbc55

Postby parquetfloor » Mon May 07, 2018 3:40 pm

Man, this thread is all over the place.

I think taking a chance on Curry is a great idea even if all it does is bring some extra exposure to the program. I think it will have a much bigger impact as I think the players will realize how intelligent she is and take her teaching seriously. I think she has the right demeanor to be successful. As someone has mentioned, Bernadette Mattox coached at Kentucky for a few years and right now, Becky Hammon is on the staff of the Spurs. Becky also has the demeanor to command respect and players really respond to her. She was a hell of a player as well and I have no doubts she can still shoot the lights out.

I won't respond to any of the other stuff in here as I'm hoping the thread will get back on track about what Curry could potentially bring to this program. I mean, imagine if this program makes significant improvement...what could that potentially do for not only this program but what about our daughters' lives if they decide coaching basketball is their passion? Suddenly they aren't just limited to the women's game but could have expanded opportunities in the men's game, just like we as men have had in the women's game.

I would liken it to the sport of auto racing. There were women before Danica Patrick (Shirley Muldowney, Janet Guthrie, Milka Duno, Sarah Fisher, Patty Moise, etc) but no one was able to reach nearly as many girls/women as Danica has been able to (obviously, the world of social media is a big part of it). If you take a look at the grass roots racing levels, you are seeing an uptick in the girls/women in the sport. Shoot, John Force's daughters are among the best in the world right now in the world of drag racing.

I have no clue how well this will go but count me among the people that are in favor of this and for giving this clearly knowledgeable and talented young woman an opportunity to make a difference in the game I think most of us on here know and love.
parquetfloor

Postby bcbc55 » Mon May 07, 2018 4:22 pm

parquetfloor wrote:Man, this thread is all over the place.

I think taking a chance on Curry is a great idea even if all it does is bring some extra exposure to the program. I think it will have a much bigger impact as I think the players will realize how intelligent she is and take her teaching seriously. I think she has the right demeanor to be successful. As someone has mentioned, Bernadette Mattox coached at Kentucky for a few years and right now, Becky Hammon is on the staff of the Spurs. Becky also has the demeanor to command respect and players really respond to her. She was a hell of a player as well and I have no doubts she can still shoot the lights out.

I won't respond to any of the other stuff in here as I'm hoping the thread will get back on track about what Curry could potentially bring to this program. I mean, imagine if this program makes significant improvement...what could that potentially do for not only this program but what about our daughters' lives if they decide coaching basketball is their passion? Suddenly they aren't just limited to the women's game but could have expanded opportunities in the men's game, just like we as men have had in the women's game.

I would liken it to the sport of auto racing. There were women before Danica Patrick (Shirley Muldowney, Janet Guthrie, Milka Duno, Sarah Fisher, Patty Moise, etc) but no one was able to reach nearly as many girls/women as Danica has been able to (obviously, the world of social media is a big part of it). If you take a look at the grass roots racing levels, you are seeing an uptick in the girls/women in the sport. Shoot, John Force's daughters are among the best in the world right now in the world of drag racing.

I have no clue how well this will go but count me among the people that are in favor of this and for giving this clearly knowledgeable and talented young woman an opportunity to make a difference in the game I think most of us on here know and love.

"Parquetfloor": Good post as it is interesting, timely, relevant and informative and it makes a lot of sense.

It certainly brings more attention and exposure to the UMaine men's program as does the hiring of Barron from the women's program. More pressure on Barron because he decided he wanted to coach the men's program and he hired Curry.

If it works and they turn around the men's program of the previous 4 years around to 17-15 by the third season like Barron was able to do with the women's program then that will be great and do a lot for women in the coaching of men's college D-1 basketball.

If it doesn't work out then it can do as much damage as it could good for more importantly D-1 women head coaches moving on to coach men's D-1 basketball then women assistant D-1 coaches moving on to D-1 assistant coaching positions . It is a gamble, "nothing ventured then nothing gained".

I hope it works out as it certainly will help more women getting a chance to coach D-1 mens's basketball as a head or assistant coach and will also make it easier for women's D-1 head coaches moving over to become men's D-1 head coaches.
bcbc55

Postby CoachA » Mon May 07, 2018 4:35 pm

Interesting that the 3 other assistant coaches have no Division 1 coaching experiences at all...something Coach Curry actually has...yet no one is mentioning that. None the less, this is a very good staff that has been assembled by Coach Barron. Each one brings a different dynamic of skill. Between Coach Barron and Coach Curry, the other three coaches will learn quickly from those two coaches about the Division 1 coaching world.
CoachA

Postby bcbc55 » Mon May 07, 2018 7:13 pm

CoachA wrote:Interesting that the 3 other assistant coaches have no Division 1 coaching experiences at all...something Coach Curry actually has...yet no one is mentioning that. None the less, this is a very good staff that has been assembled by Coach Barron. Each one brings a different dynamic of skill. Between Coach Barron and Coach Curry, the other three coaches will learn quickly from those two coaches about the Division 1 coaching world.

"CoachA:": The other 2 coaches and 1 Director of basketball operations without D-1 coaching experience may not learn as quickly as you stated from Barron and Curry as they both Barron and Curry have got to learn themselves about coaching D-1 men's players/team before they can teach the others. Maybe all 5 of the coaches will learn about D-1 men's coaching altogether as t could be a real team effort.

Actually, the coach with the most experience head coaching men players is the former Lee Prep School coach and there will be 6 of his former Lee Players on the roster for next year. He also probably had those international contacts for Yagodin, Into, Iluyomade and Larsson and also those former Lee Preppers Darwich, Prijovic as international players.

Real good hire as he has those international contacts and those contacts with former Lee Prep players.
bcbc55

Postby CoachA » Mon May 07, 2018 8:57 pm

bcbc...I disagree with you. Coaching the game is coaching the game...yes, women tend to have a little more drama and men definitely have ego problems but bottom line you're coaching a game...a simple game....all the skills, strategy, the fundamentals, etc. get taught the same way..or should be...a little more above the rim with the men's game but the rest is coaching personalities...which if you can get along with other human beings you can coach either one. Just a personal opinion.
CoachA

Postby bcbc55 » Mon May 07, 2018 9:39 pm

CoachA wrote:bcbc...I disagree with you. Coaching the game is coaching the game...yes, women tend to have a little more drama and men definitely have ego problems but bottom line you're coaching a game...a simple game....all the skills, strategy, the fundamentals, etc. get taught the same way..or should be...a little more above the rim with the men's game but the rest is coaching personalities...which if you can get along with other human beings you can coach either one. Just a personal opinion.

"CoachA": That's fine, but we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

There is a definite differences in coaching both and if there wasn't you would have seen more women D-1 head and assistant coaches moving to men's head and assistant D-1 and NBA coaching positions or even vice versa.

Girls and women are more coachable.

I have coached both at the middle school and high school level in running shooting camps and giving individual shooting lessons.The females always improved overall more then the guys as they listened better.Tried to do what you told them and tried more to try to please the coach.

Hardly any ego problems with the girls and they are more team oriented then the men.

Men's players and games are more athletic and physical and rely on their athleticism far more and play the game from the shoulders down more. Women players and teams play from the shoulders up and use their brains more than their bodies which allows them to make better basketball decisions that lead to better shot selection. fewer turnovers, less player-out-of-control fouls as I call player control fouls and fewer personal fouls.

The better women and girl players are more fundamentally sound then boys and men because they don't have the size, quickness, strength and athleticism so they rely more on their brains then they do their bodies to play the game where the better boys and men try to play it with their bodies first and then their basketball skills.

To me that is a big difference and it requires more coaching with the female side and that is great because they usually are more coachable and usually respond better to coaching.

To me basketball should be a 6 inch game. Played from 6 inches from a players adam's apple to their brains and 6 inches down from their adam's apples to their hearts and anything below their hearts their core and legs are athleticism.

Most athletes playing basketball by using mostly just their athletic skills act before thinking and the basketball players playing basketball usually think first and react second just the opposite.

It would be much easier to go from coaching D-1 and NBA men to coaching women's D-1 and WNBA then it would be the going the opposite way.

Just my basketball opinion by coaching and teaching shooting to girls and women and reffing girls high school and women's college basketball. Girls and women's games much easier to officiate because they play more under control then the boys and men.

The female games are under more control then the male games regardless the level.

Girls and women usually let the game come to them while the boys and men want to take themselves to the game and force the action while the girls and women read the court in front of them and then react.

As I said above it is just my opinions vs. your opinions and opinions are like noses, everyone has one.

It is just a case of "Different basketball strokes for different basketball folks" or "What floats your basketball boat doesn't necessarily float my basketball boat".
bcbc55

Postby Blackbear28 » Mon May 07, 2018 9:54 pm

thebam wrote:
Blackbear28 wrote:I could definitely be wrong but as far as I know Walsh is the only basketball coach in Maine history to have one player break another players jaw.

yeah, because a player being a total thug is entirely the coach's fault?

Come on Bam-Bam you don’t have to recruit kids who have character issues. Myers punching someone in the face wasn’t the first time he had character issues at Maine. If character was so important to Walsh he would’ve kicked him off the team, but Myers was the best player on the team so he ignored the warning signs. If Bam-Bam had been the coach Myers wouldn’t have made it through his redshirt year because you’re a man of INTEGRITY unlike those gosh darn millennial thugs. You would’ve PROMPTLY told him to get off your lawn.
Blackbear28

Postby MattyB » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:04 pm

UMaine coach gains experience leading up to NBA Draft

ORONO, MAINE (WABI) - UMaine men’s basketball assistant coach Edniesha Curry has been involved in the events leading up to the NBA Draft tomorrow, as she is in the the NBA Assistant Coaches Program.

Video Feature: http://www.wabi.tv/content/sports/UMain ... 84601.html
Twitter.com/MattyBRadio
105Sports.com
MattyB

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics