[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/mb4/public_html/Assets/Class/Content.class.php on line 101: Illegal string offset 'Name'
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/mb4/public_html/Assets/Class/Content.class.php on line 102: Illegal string offset 'Text'
MBR.org Forum • View topic - OT: Steelman out at Presbyterian

OT: Steelman out at Presbyterian

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

OT: Steelman out at Presbyterian

Postby turkeyman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:30 am

This surprised me. Seemed like Todd's team was improving steadily through his two years there, before being edged out in the opening round of the Big South tourney. I thought he did a really good job at Maine, and he and his family were very much part of the community.

Bob Neal
New Sharon

"Presbyterian College Director of Athletics Danny Sterling announced Tuesday that women’s basketball head coach Todd Steelman has resigned, effective immediately.

'I appreciate what Coach Steelman has done for Presbyterian College and the women’s basketball team,' said Sterling. 'He has continued the strong tradition and history of the program and we wish him well in his future endeavors.'

"Steelman, who just completed his second season at PC, was hired in 2016 and compiled a 25-36 overall and a 19-17 Big South Conference record.

"In 2017 the Blue Hose advanced to the semifinals of the Big South Tournament for the second year in a row. This past season the team dropped a heart-breaker to High Point in the Quarterfinals.

"During his tenure, the team collected six Players-of-the-Week and three Freshmen-of-the-Week honors, five All-Conference selections, and two Scholar-Athletes-of-the-Year.

"Steelman came to PC after a four-year stint at Maine where he helped the Black Bears to a 26-9 record and a trip to the Women’s NIT in 2016.

"A national search for a PC’s next women’s basketball head coach will begin immediately."
turkeyman

Re: OT: Steelman out at Presbyterian

Postby Linguist » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:13 am

Wow this is surprising.

Following him on social media it seemed like he was in a good situation and things were improving.

I wonder why the change happened and was it his choice or the school.
Linguist

Postby mainejeff » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:39 am

I wonder if he will become an assistant again under Barron?
mainejeff

Postby Blind Zebra » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:53 am

His son Jonathan is still enrolled at Orono HS.
Blind Zebra

Postby turkeyman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:28 pm

Folks on Blue Hose chat board this morning were as surprised as folks up here. As recently as yesterday, Todd was tweeting about prospects for the future at Presbyterian. I have noticed on the PC website that wbb has only two assistant coaches, which is highly unusual for a DI program. I believe Lauren Bodine, who played at UMaine 2012-16, when Todd was here, was a volunteer assistant at PC his first year there, but she doesn't show up on the coaching roster. That suggests to me that PC may have financial difficulties -- another thread on the chat board deals with changes in the football program -- and that an issue came up that Todd felt he could not accept.

One commentator on Presbyterian board thought Todd might take the Wofford wbb job, where he has kids in school. But Wofford, like PC, hired a new man to coach two years ago, and it, like PC, is gradually rebuilding its wbb program, went 10-20 this year. There is no mention on the Wofford chat board of the coach getting done or being in hot water.

MJ's idea of Todd coming back to UMaine seems plausible. He certainly already knows how to work in an environment in which money is always an issue and sometimes the deciding issue.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:13 am

Former Maine assisant Todd Steelman resigns as Presbyterian College head coach
https://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/2 ... head-coach
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby mikegormanfan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:06 am

Turkey... any more on this resignation? Seems very odd that he would resign.
mikegormanfan

Postby turkeyman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:46 am

Mike et al,

Nothing new that I've seen. Noodling around on the Blue Hose chat board, I see that money is a big issue there. I gather Presbyterian is just returning to scholarship football. Not sure how you compete in Div. I or II football without scholarships.

Only seven comments on the PC wbb thread, and one post I won't repeat here as it is unsubstantiated.

The Steelman family has been through a lot in order to serve career and kids' needs. When he came to Maine, the family stayed in Indiana to finish the school year. If I remember correctly, they got together at the tournament in Binghamton for only the second or third time that season. Div. I bb being what it is, there is not enough Christmas break to drive from Indiana to Maine or vice versa. Then, when he took the PC job, his kids stayed here to finish at Orono High, where they had promising athletic careers, not to mention the all-important-at-that-age-especially groups of friends.

Remember that after he went to PC, Steelman was back here visiting his kids and went over to UMaine to record his singing of the Austrian National Anthem in German for Sigi's Senior Day game. He sang each of the anthems in person and in their native languages for the class of 2016's overseas seniors. He often gave game previews for interested fans, telling us what to expect from the opponent of the day and talking about how Maine had prepared for the opponent. That was a really nice touch, presumably put in by Barron, and Steelman was very good at discussing the upcoming game without tipping the coaches' hands.

Hope there is just a difference in philosophy or funding or some such here. We saw Bob Walsh's discussion of how the mbb situation changed here in four years, so lots of other schools that have less than munificent funding may be going through something similar.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby mikegormanfan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:35 am

Why don't any media outlets investigate the reason he resigned (or was forced to)? The only thing I can find is a press release and a few messages on a bluehose thread that turkey mentioned.
mikegormanfan

Postby ScoopsMinihane » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:39 am

Something stinks...
ScoopsMinihane

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics