2018-19 MBB Discussion

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: 2018-19 MBB Discussion

Postby Blind Zebra » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:20 pm

That is not a bad idea for playing style, based on that roster. Maine has some length, speed, toughness and athleticism in the players you mentioned. Barron, however has always played that Princeton style offense, methodically dissecting a defense with back door cuts, precision passing and timely screens. He can still use that style with this roster, but he'll need to recruit a couple of dead eye wing shooters to keep floor spacing and to keep defenses from packing the paint.
Blind Zebra

Postby MaineRoots » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:38 pm

I hope Barron considers keeping current assistant coach Antone Gray on the staff (if he has any desire to stay). He’s been professional and enthusiastic in our interactions. He thinks there’s real potential with Lowndes and White and they seem to respond to him. Barron has at the very least observed him the past few years.
MaineRoots

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:48 pm

MaineRoots wrote:I hope Barron considers keeping current assistant coach Antone Gray on the staff (if he has any desire to stay). He’s been professional and enthusiastic in our interactions. He thinks there’s real potential with Lowndes and White and they seem to respond to him. Barron has at the very least observed him the past few years.

A="MaineRoots": I agree and I would also keep Bob Simon as they offer knowledge of the program the players, the men's AE conference and have a recruiting base.

Bob Simon is the most qualified assistant basketball coach ever to coach ether the UMaine men's and women's programs and his knowledge and contacts are not replaceable in my opinion.

With what Maine pays for assistant basketball coaches it is going to be hard to get any D-1 current associate or assistant men's coaches to even apply.
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:06 am

You know Bob these generation xer's need to learn to respect the elder statesman on this board.
I have seen too many demeaning statements....lately....from them.... These rookies just don't know a
a great former basketball coach when they see one unfortunately.

That being said I agree Bob Simon should stay if he does not leave on his own but he had told me once he loves
the State of Maine so I believe he will stay....even if Barron can be a bit overbearing at times...That would be a great
tandem for UMAINE basketball and this year Simon will make a difference in the recruiting side of the ball (so to speak). He was primarily responsible for Alabama getting the 5th rated recruiting class in the nation a couple of years ago. UMAINES basketball fortunes are about to get a major shot in the arm I believe. The basketball program
has never really been that far off, they just need the right coaches in place to make it happen. The two of them
working together can make it happen for Maine basketball.

Of course I am partial to anyone who helped the Crimson Tide, and as we have seen they are on the bubble, but I think if they give Auburn a game they get in this time...but way too depending on Collin Sexton. some of the other players need to pick it up a notch if they are going to make a run in the SEC tournament as well as the NCAA tournament.

Of course I doubt anyone here cares about the Crimson tide. Understood of course. Having been a basketball player at both schools I believe both schools can be great once again.... We will see marked improvement in UMAINE basketball next year. I have no doubt about that.
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:16 am

basketball_guy wrote:You know Bob these generation xer's need to learn to respect the elder statesman on this board.
I have seen too many demeaning statements....lately....from them.... These rookies just don't know a

That being said I agree Bob Simon should stay if he does not leave on his own but he had told me once he loves
the State of Maine so I believe he will stay....even if Barron can be a bit overbearing at times...That would be a great
tandem for UMAINE basketball and this year Simon will make a difference in the recruiting side of the ball (so to speak). He was primarily responsible for Alabama getting the 5th rated recruiting class in the nation a couple of years ago. UMAINES basketball fortunes are about to get a major shot in the arm I believe. The basketball program
has never really been that far off, they just need the right coaches in place to make it happen. The two of them
working together can make it happen for Maine basketball.

Of course I am partial to anyone who helped the Crimson Tide, and as we have seen they are on the bubble, but I think if they give Auburn a game they get in this time...but way too depending on Collin Sexton. some of the other players need to pick it up a notch if they are going to make a run in the SEC tournament as well as the NCAA tournament.

Of course I doubt anyone here cares about the Crimson tide. Understood of course. Having been a basketball player at both schools I believe both schools can be great once again.... We will see marked improvement in UMAINE basketball next year. I have no doubt about that.

basketball_guy: Thank you for the your very kind words.

Please don't worry about me, I am very used to be disagreed with and demeaned ever since I started coaching in the 60's, and then again since joining MBR when it started as I was asked to participate by Tom@MBR. And now after writing my basketball column for the Bangor daily News along with my BDN year round basketball BLOG.

At my age I donlt have time to waste on the negatives that are thrown at me here on MBR. Treat the negatives just like water off a duck's back with one good, quick, small shake.

Agree with you on Simon. but more sense if it had been a Markwood-Simon combination.
bcbc55

Postby thebam » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:24 am

basketball_guy wrote:You know Bob these generation xer's need to learn to respect the elder statesman on this board.

There is a fine line between knowing the game and the game passing you by.. A very fine line.
thebam

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:48 pm

A fine line heh? Look is he right about Bob Simon? Absoulutely, and let me tell you why. Simon is the one primarily responsible for bringing the Number 5 rated recruiting class in basketball at Alabama two years ago. That includes Collin Sexton. Simon is also one of the most honest recruiters I have ever met. I got to meet him at the alabama basketball alumni get together three years ago. I have no idea why Avery Johnson let him go but I suspect it was because he could see Bob knew more about recruiting than he did, and probably just allowed him to bring in a top notch recruitng class before allowing him to move on.

Barron would be an absoulute fool if he lets Simon leave for other programs, but it may not be possible with the Salary they are willing to pay Assistant Basketball Coaches at Maine. Simon was not responsible for Walsh getting fired. Walsh was responsible for Walsh getting fired.

I just think this will be the first year that Simon will be actually recruiting for Maine (hopefully he sticks around). Talented Coaches like Simon just don't show up at Maine. He wanted to be in Maine and I think Barron had better find a way to keep him around. Barron may know of a way to do that.

Maine needs both of them now.
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:23 pm

basketball_guy wrote:A fine line heh? Look is he right about Bob Simon? Absoulutely, and let me tell you why. Simon is the one primarily responsible for bringing the Number 5 rated recruiting class in basketball at Alabama two years ago. That includes Collin Sexton. Simon is also one of the most honest recruiters I have ever met. I got to meet him at the alabama basketball alumni get together three years ago. I have no idea why Avery Johnson let him go but I suspect it was because he could see Bob knew more about recruiting than he did, and probably just allowed him to bring in a top notch recruitng class before allowing him to move on.

Barron would be an absoulute fool if he lets Simon leave for other programs, but it may not be possible with the Salary they are willing to pay Assistant Basketball Coaches at Maine. Simon was not responsible for Walsh getting fired. Walsh was responsible for Walsh getting fired.

I just think this will be the first year that Simon will be actually recruiting for Maine (hopefully he sticks around). Talented Coaches like Simon just don't show up at Maine. He wanted to be in Maine and I think Barron had better find a way to keep him around. Barron may know of a way to do that.

Maine needs both of them now.

basketball_guy: Couldn't agree more with you that Bob Simon should be kept if at all possible. In fact, I would be after him to stay before I even offered any player a scholarship which according to"duke11" new men's coach has offered Terian Moss from Portland, so I hope he offered Bob Simon to stay on before he offered Moss.

Bob Simon is the most qualified assistant basketball coach to ever be hired at the University of Maine.

Actually, he is probably way over qualified for the 335th RPI ranked D-1 team out of 351 schools playing in the 23rd ranked rpi conference of the 32 in the country.

Maine was darn fortunate to get him last fall and would be too bad and Maine's loss if they let him go.
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:18 pm

I think he got the shock of his life when Avery let him go, but to be honest when I was back in Tuscaloosa three years ago and I saw they had hired someone from the Northeast as an Assistant Coach, I was saying to myself I wonder how llong he will last here.

It was not about him, it is the Southern way of doing things. Up North you see what is coming at ya...down South things are not always what they seem to be...so to speak.

But that being said I think he is actually happier at Maine...hopefully he sticks around really more for Maines sake...
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:41 pm

basketball_guy wrote:I think he got the shock of his life when Avery let him go, but to be honest when I was back in Tuscaloosa three years ago and I saw they had hired someone from the Northeast as an Assistant Coach, I was saying to myself I wonder how llong he will last here.

It was not about him, it is the Southern way of doing things. Up North you see what is coming at ya...down South things are not always what they seem to be...so to speak.

But that being said I think he is actually happier at Maine...hopefully he sticks around really more for Maines sake...

basketball_guy: If Maine doesn't keep Bob Simon then it is certainly Maine's LOSS and wherever he ends up GAIN.
bcbc55

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics