2018-19 MBB Discussion

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

2018-19 MBB Discussion

Postby dunbar » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:33 pm

Who stays? Who goes?

Who will be on Barron's staff?

Will they get more than two Division I non-conference home games?

Very intriguing times for this program and university.
dunbar

Re: 2018-19 MBB Discussion

Postby dunbar » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:01 pm

Calixte transferring, per Jeff Goodman (ESPN). No surprise. The ultimate Walsh guy. Should be great wherever he lands.
dunbar

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:54 am

Calixte set to transfer from Maine men's basketball

ORONO - Maine men's basketball guard Aaron Calixte has confirmed to ABC 7 and FOX 22 that he is transferring from the program. The news was initially reported by ESPN's Jeff Goodman.

- https://www.foxbangor.com/sports/local-sports
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby duke11 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:19 pm

According to Multiple recruiting sites, Danny Evans has “permission to contact other schools”.
duke11

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:24 pm

duke11 wrote:According to Multiple recruiting sites, Danny Evans has “permission to contact other schools”.

"duke11": Heard about Evans on local TV news tonite. 2 down, how many more to go?

https://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/2 ... k-transfer

UMaine basketball Transfers have been of epidemic porportions. Men-2 years ago 6, last year 5 each for the men and women.

M doesn't stand for Maine in transfers it stands for measles which are very contagious. It spreads very quickly.

Calixe first, 2 days later Evans second , whose tomorrow?
bcbc55

Postby mainejeff » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:09 pm

Evans wasn’t on my list of 5 keepers. Hopefully he practices his shot over the summer :oops: . Good luck to him!
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:28 pm

mainejeff wrote:Evans wasn’t on my list of 5 keepers. Hopefully he practices his shot over the summer :oops: . Good luck to him!

MJ: So first Calixe and now Evans.

Anyone of the players who have red shirted at Maine are not going anywhere to another D-1 program because of the 5 years to play 4 years NCAA transfer rule.

That includes, White, Eze, Ashley, Dusan M.

The ones that could go are JUCO's Araujo, Lowndes, Bryant, non JUCO's and non red shirts Ilija S., Fleming, Antoms, Wang, and Rob B.

Seniors gone Melmad, Er and Jr. Douglas left the team.

That should account for all 17 players that were on the roster at the start of the year.

That may narrow your list of 5 down including Calixe?
bcbc55

Postby CFJunior » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:06 am

Isn't this a normal thing to have a hand full of player's transfer once a new coach is hired? Plus coach Walsh had players transfer during his time on the bench.

I'm also pretty sure Coach Barron wants to get his own players so this whole re-building process will take some time.
CFJunior

Postby Linguist » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:27 am

CFJ,

Yes this is typical. Players sign with a coach not a school (for the majority of cases) because that coach promises a system and a culture the athlete wants to be part of. It has nothing to do with the university. Why would Player A sign with Duke over North Carolina, or Kentucky over Wisconsin, or Oregon over UCLA? (taking out the fact one school may pay more than another) It is because they want to be part of that program, they feel that is the best fit for them. When the coach changes so does the culture an therefore players who can leave often do. Some may not have other scholarship offers so they will ride it out, others know they aren't playing for money in their future so they are in it to get the free education and be off.

So this is typical, expect a couple of more players to leave Orono as well.

As long as Maine keeps : Trae Bryant, Vernon Lowndes Junior, Isaiah White, Vincent Eze and Ilija Stojiljkovic I am fine with it.

I hope Andrew Fleming, Dusan Majstorovic, Miks Antoms, and Celio Araujo stick around (I would have liked to keep Danny Evans in the fold) but if they decide the grass is greener then please take a UMaine T-shirt as a parting gift and best of luck in your future endeavors.

Starting Bryant at PG, Lowndes and White at the 2/3, with Ilija at the 4 and Eze at the 5 is a team that can compete.

Fleming off the bench as a 3/4 player depending on a big or small lineup is fine, Antoms in to give Eze a break for 12 minutes or so is good. Dusan as a 2/3 depending on matchups or lineup size is good as a 7th man. And Celio can be there for a few minutes of rest at the point guard for Bryant.

That mentions nothing of recruits. But that is 9 deep, a decent starting 5, that is 6'1", 6'5", 6'6",6'7", 6'9" and has 2 scorers Lowndes and White, a distributor in Bryant, a shot blocker/rebounder in Eze and a defender rebounder in Ilija. Add some depth to the mix, make Dusan or Antoms or Celio the 9th, 10th, 11th options because the newcomers are better and this team is top 5 in America East.
Linguist

Postby Linguist » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:32 am

Dunbar, maybe this is for another thread, but what type of style would you like to see Maine play?

Since there are no real stars, I would love to see them play similar to West Virginia, pressing and relentless all over the floor. Let White and Lowndes attack in transition offensively, leave Big Vince as a Sagaba Konate shot blocker on the back of the press, and turn Trae Bryant into Jevon Carter and let them go.

Maybe even play like the Early 1990's Arkansas Razorbacks, White becomes Scotty Thurman, Fleming is the new Red Nasty and becomes Corliss Williamson, Bryant is Corey Beck and Vernon turns into Clint McDaniel.

I would love to see up tempo, full court pressure, turnovers galore basketball as the new style. Make it ugly, make it a mess and thrive when it gets nasty.
Linguist

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics