Walsh out

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Walsh out

Postby mainefan827 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:06 am

Tom Nolette wrote:Outgoing UMaine coach Walsh praises players’ work ethic

...For the 46-year-old Walsh, that answer was no, in part due to what he described as the changing structure of his job during the last 18 months.

“Budget changes, budget challenges, and scheduling challenges made it really difficult, it made it different, so our players had to face a tremendous amount of adversity,” said Walsh, who came to UMaine before the 2014-15 season after a successful nine-year stint at Rhode Island College where he guided that team to more than 200 victories and eight consecutive NCAA Division III tournament appearances.

“Some of it was simply bad luck, injuries, personnel. Ultimately our inability to get all of our personnel out on the floor for the last two years had a significant impact but our guys fought like crazy no matter what.”

http://bangordailynews.com/2018/03/05/s ... ork-ethic/

Why are you deleting my posts, Tom? Afraid of the truth? Happy to give you a call as well to discuss this. People like you are why his abuse and power trip has gone unchecked for this long.
mainefan827

Postby GOOSIE » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:17 pm

Who else was considered for the job?
GOOSIE

Postby mainejeff » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:24 pm

GOOSIE wrote:Who else was considered for the job?

Bob Cimbollek.
mainejeff

Postby umaine67 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:35 pm

It seems to be an extremely tough transition.
Coach Barron has never coached men at the Division 1 level, has never recruited men's players before.
Not sure about this one.
umaine67

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:59 am

umaine67 wrote:It seems to be an extremely tough transition.
Coach Barron has never coached men at the Division 1 level, has never recruited men's players before.
Not sure about this one.

"umaine67: I agree with. "It seems to be an extremely tough transition. Coach Barron has never coached men at the Division 1 level",....But don't agree "has never recruited men's players before"....also agree with "Not sure about this one".

You helped me out, I'll help you out. Barron hasn't recruited men's D-1 players, but he must have recruited men's D-3 players when he was the head men's coach at D-3 Sewanee College from 1991-95, his first head college coaching job.
bcbc55

Postby umaine67 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:15 am

"Recruiting" at the Division 3 level, as you should know bcbc55, is an entirely different world. A different pool of players.
D3 has no scholarships, so no connections with scholarship players/AAU people, etc.
And, Mr. Barron's experience with male players/recruiting contacts, etc.? 23 years ago.
I'm guessing he has either no, or very few, "connections" in the world of men's basketball right now.
Now, his first recruit is a player who had no interest ... absolutely none ... from any other Division 1 program.
But, everyone is going to love the move because he's a Maine-based player.

Nice try to "help me out," but your "help" isn't much help!
umaine67

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:01 pm

[quote="umaine67"]"Recruiting" at the Division 3 level, as you should know bcbc55, is an entirely different world. A different pool of players.
D3 has no scholarships, so no connections with scholarship players/AAU people, etc.
And, Mr. Barron's experience with male players/recruiting contacts, etc.? 23 years ago.
I'm guessing he has either no, or very few, "connections" in the world of men's basketball right now.
Now, his first recruit is a player who had no interest ... absolutely none ... from any other Division 1 program.
But, everyone is going to love the move because he's a Maine-based player.

umaine67: Come on now. If you had stated above in the post I responded to then I would not have tried to help you out, but you didn't.

However, I do agree with your post above except for that.

You could refer to me as the guy "who time has passed by" instead of bcbc if you wish! Your choice, what ever floats your basketball boat.
bcbc55

Postby umaine67 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:23 am

Having recruited division 3-level players 22 years ago isn't going to "help" our program.
As for the "verbal" commitments made by a couple of players.
No knowledge of their abilities from me.
I'll just say this. The verbals were made to the previous coach.
Players almost universally come to a program to play for a coach.
Verbal commitments are non-binding. Nothing is binding until a letter of intent is signed. I believe the next signing period is in April.
Let's hope Maine's "verbals" don't rescind their respective decisions.
umaine67

Postby mainejeff » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:28 am

umaine67 wrote:Having recruited division 3-level players 22 years ago isn't going to "help" our program.
As for the "verbal" commitments made by a couple of players.
No knowledge of their abilities from me.
I'll just say this. The verbals were made to the previous coach.
Players almost universally come to a program to play for a coach.
Verbal commitments are non-binding. Nothing is binding until a letter of intent is signed. I believe the next signing period is in April.
Let's hope Maine's "verbals" don't rescind their respective decisions.

Maine's recent verbals to the men's basketball program were made to Barron not Walsh.
mainejeff

Postby Mainefan1975 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:08 pm

A little research, which goes a long way, shows that you're partially correct.
Komagun, the 6-8 kid, does look to have made a "verbal" since Barron took over.
All the other guys, though, seem to still be uncommitted.
Please correct, mainejeff, if that information is incorrect.

I just had a friend, who is a college basketball Division 1 ass't coach, take a look at Komagun's highlight film.
Here's what he e-mailed to me:
"Good height/length for the way he plays."
"Woefully thin, weak. Needs 25-to-30 pounds of muscle/bulk."
"Probably needs to play on the perimeter, although if he does put on 30 pounds could be more of a "4."
"Seems fairly athletic with some decent movement, but hard to tell. The talent level he's playing against in the highlight film is extremely weak, and no one is playing any defense."
"Maine looks to be his level. With some added bulk/strength, could be pretty good there in a couple of years."

I didn't ask him to look at the other guys you pointed that Maine is involved with since they have not given a verbal.
However, my friend has seen DJ Mitchell a couple of times.
He thinks Mitchell is a little more advanced/ready to play Division1 than Moss.
He doubts Mitchell will go to Maine. Schools usually don't bring in two guys, whose style is very similar, for the point guard position in the same class.

Admittedly, my friend doesn't know what Barron might be thinking.
Just passing along his thoughts.
Mainefan1975

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics