No more T's on Dunks Sports Chowdah 2/22

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: No more T's on Dunks Sports Chowdah 2/22

Postby Rob Kennedy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:32 pm

I normally don't care about referees, even a little. But a few of the actions taken by officials on and off the floor over the past tourney have made even someone usually disinterested in that part of the game take notice.

This tops it for me, though.....this tweeted by Travis Lazarczyk earlier today:

Had a longtime basketball official berate me at the Augusta Civic Center over last week's column because I "don't understand the rule." I understand it. It's a jive rule. And I'm astounded so many people are OK with holding Maine athletes back in its defense.

So it's appropriate to go and accost a reporter on the job because you're butthurt about something they wrote? Really? (My friend Jeff Mannix pointed out, also on Twitter, that a kid who gets in a ref's face on the job is T'd up. But it's OK for this guy to do it? Sure.)

Like I said, most of the time, all this discussion of officials bores me to death. But this year has either been particularly bad, the culmination of the last several finally coming to a head, or both. And some of the individuals have been unwittingly shining a spotlight on it.
Rob Kennedy

Postby reffan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:52 am

Bob...good post

It is appalling that a longtime ref would confront a reporter (Travis is a good writer) because he had the gall to write an article about something that is in the news all over the state! And his article was accurate! This is new...everyone has known for years that the game has gone by Webb.....but AD's, coaches, administrators and refs just kept silent....this year something has changed....maybe it is like the "metoo" movement....but finally we see people speaking up! Even a veteran Portland ref criticized Webb' in the paper and wasn't afraid of the consequences....

He needs to go...he might be the greatest guy since Jesus...but what he has done with officiating in the State of Maine is sinful....and it might take years to bring the game back into the 21st century...and being a Catholic reffan can say this....Jesus would be a heck of a hoop player...bet he would shoot the lights out...and reffan is betting he would not like the officiating today...he would be a "let em play guy"! *he would have to wear a headband because he would not cut his hair...

thank hoops88 and reffanfan.....reffan is touched by the compliments.....

reffan just wants what is best for the game he loves!
reffan

Postby Patsfan07 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:11 pm

Rumor has it all the zebras who worked state games got WWWD bracelets......What would Webb do ?
Patsfan07

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:15 am

Commissioner of state basketball commission responds to dunking controversy
http://www.wmtw.com/article/commissione ... y/19136852
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:24 am

and if you want more Peter talk, he and i were going around in 2007 in between A games at ACC ....

MBR Radio Network
@MBRRadio
Throwback Tuesday - Peter Webb in a 2007 interview with http://MBR.Org on officiating in Maine: http://bit.ly/2D6G0mJ #mesports #Tourney18
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby chalk_talk » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:56 am

In my mind, this is no longer an issue of officiating or even of rules interpretation. This is becoming a true generational issue. In the WMTW interview, Webb states "there is no such thing as a Euro step or a spin move." Huh? Excuse me? This reminds me of watching an older person trying to learn how to use a smartphone. While it is slightly humorous to me watching them peck at the screen like a bird, it isn't there fault that the generation they are from didn't have these devices.

Peter Webb and the "top" officials in Maine have let the game go by them in terms of speed, movesets, and overall athleticism. No one wants to see a great rip through move called a travel. No one wants to see a "grasping the rim" Technical Foul. No one wants to see defenders slide under the basket and get rewarded with an offensive foul. No one wants to see a behind the back dribble get called a carry. But these things happen in Maine, and they happen a lot. The idea that scoring is down is happening strictly because "kids spend too much time playing video games and not enough time shooting" is offensive and frankly its quite idiotic. Scoring is down for a lot of reasons, and one of them is because kids get penalized for making certain offensive moves and because EVERYTHING at or near the point of contact is called an offensive foul.

Basketball, like every single other sport in America is changing. Kids want to be athletic, fast, and chaotic. Maine simply wants them to make 15 footers and never attack the rim. Something has got to give.
chalk_talk

Postby hoops88 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:47 am

chalk_talk wrote:In my mind, this is no longer an issue of officiating or even of rules interpretation. This is becoming a true generational issue.

Good points. Just because the old-timers didn't have the skills or athleticism to try some of the modern moves does not make them illegal. I hate the defenders that slide into the landing lane and get rewarded with the offensive charge call. Once an offensive player has left their feet the defenders shouldn't be able to move into their path. But at the same time, I do see guys so focused on driving to the hoop that they don't even see the defender that has been standing there in his path the whole time. Just because you have started a drive doesn't give you the right to a clear lane for the entire 20 feet to the basket.

Hopefully good change is coming. A start would be to put guys in my generation into leadership. We 80's guys are old now, but damn, we grew up with Jordan, so we understand modern basketball.
hoops88

Postby reffan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:03 am

chalk talk and hoops...

reffan has one word to respond to your posts..................AMEN
reffan

Postby wings » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:26 am

Attack the basket AND pull-up from 5, 10, 15 feet and drain it. GSA’s Schildroth and Anna DeWolfe pull-up and bury jump shots as well as any players in Maine....develop this skill and we’ll see fewer collisions near the basket.
wings

Postby reffan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:06 pm

reffan agrees...pull up jumper is an excellent way to score points....

but so is driving to the hoop.....Moss from Portland earned two rings and a full scholarship offer by using this style..

and so is having an offense that shoots the 3 ball.....

and so is pounding the ball into a 6'9" guy and having him use a variety of low post moves to score points..

and so is running the floor with 5 athletic players and dunking the ball to score points....

This is why the game of hoop is so great....so many different ways to score points....one not anymore important than the other!

what.drives the reffan crazy is Webb has tried to "officiate" one or two ways out of the game because he personally does not think it should be part of the game of basketball...
reffan

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur