[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/mb4/public_html/Assets/Class/Content.class.php on line 101: Illegal string offset 'Name'
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/mb4/public_html/Assets/Class/Content.class.php on line 102: Illegal string offset 'Text'
MBR.org Forum • View topic - Maine women's basketball falls to Texas 83-54

Maine women's basketball falls to Texas 83-54

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: WBB Wins .. to host 2018 America East Championship game

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:24 am

Rossignol elevating her play at the right time for Maine women's basketball

..."I wasn’t having as much fun as I should have been, you know I had a pretty successful high school career and everyone had all these ideas of what I was going to do at Maine and I had them for myself too. I put way too much pressure on myself," Rossignol said.

In her first year back with the team Rossignol has solidified herself as top player off the bench for Amy Vachon, but the junior elevated her game in the America East tournament scoring a career high 15 points against UMBC and 13 against UNH.

"She committed herself like she never committed herself before you know she competed. She earned that role. I mean when we talked about her coming back I told her 'I can’t guarantee you any time' and she said 'I don't care I want to be part of it,'" head coach Amy Vachon said.

https://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/2 ... basketball
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:56 am

America East tournament notebook: Albany’s reign ends with loss to Hartford
For the first time since 2011, the Great Danes won't be the league's tournament champion.

Six-time defending champion and No. 2 seed Albany held a 56-49 lead over sixth-seeded Hartford with less than three minutes to play Sunday.

“Unfortunately, we’re often in this position, digging ourselves out,” Hartford senior Janelle Harrison said. “So, this is familiar territory.”

Hartford came back with a 9-0 run to beat the Great Danes 58-56 in the second semifinal of the America East women’s basketball tournament at Cross Insurance Arena.

The Hawks’ reward is a trip to Bangor on Friday to play top-seeded Maine for the conference championship at Cross Insurance Center.

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/03/04/ ... -hartford/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby turkeyman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:17 am

CFJunior got it right. The way Maine played this weekend, no one in AE can beat Maine. But, Hartford matches up really well, and probably the two grittiest teams in AE are playing for the championship. Who woulda thunk that, based on Maine's history, we would call Maine a gritty team?

Cannot figure why UNH kept passing up open threes early in the game. Did they not see the tape from the Albany game when Albany hit five of its first seven? Maine outrebounded UNH 37-32, though UNH had a 14-11 advantage in offensive boards, and Maine averages about two inches shorter than UNH. Maine has fronted Carlie Pogue the last four times it has played UNH, and UNH has had no answer. Pogue is not fast or particularly agile, and her step-around move just wasn't there. When she has the ball in her hands, she can be a monster, but fronting her closed that passing lane. By the late third quarter, you could see the look of defeat on her face.

I always thought Olivia Healy was UNH's best overall among the seven seniors, but Maine skunked her, 0-8, yesterday. Brittni Lai was outstanding both games, but had a hard time finding her teammates open against Maine.

When Julie Brosseau gets through the rough patch she's in, Maine may have the best guard-set it has had since 2003-04 with Kim Corbitt, Missy Traversi and Melissa Heon. Dor, Julie and Parise are working extremely well together and with the rest of their team. The versatility of Parise's game just seems to increase every time she takes the floor. Great tournament with 28 points and a couple of dagger shots just when UNH might have been starting a run. Add defense to Dor's game and she'll be an all-conference point very soon. She really takes care of the ball well.

Tournament time is when the all-stars need to turn it up. So, how did the AE first team do? PoY Imani Watkins (Bingo) committed seven turnovers and scored 15 points. Guy I talked to said he heard the Bingo coach say that after every time out her team put the ball into play by throwing it away. Stony Brook's Shania "Shorty" Johnson scored 25 but against UNH but Brittni Lai was all over her all day. Lai cut off her passing lanes quite a bit, and it looked as if Johnson believed she had to do it all by herself. She couldn't. Albany's Fequiere shot 9-31, had 21 points in two games. Pogue was pretty well shut down by Maine. Blanca scored 37 and shot 14-31 with 13 boards. Look to me like only Johnson and Blanca played up to first-team level.

Tanesha's play at Portland should have opened some other coaches' eyes. She shot 10-24 (25 points total) and had 16 boards in two games. Double-double against UMBC. And played defense like she invented it. Stayed out of foul trouble by not going for every loose ball every time. T played like a first-teamer this weekend.

On Hartford, a big worry is No. 2, Sierra DaCosta. I believe she has been injured some this season, but she has played well again Maine, and she played well off the bench against Albany. Darby Lee has always played well against Maine, too. The big three of Lee, Janelle Harrison and Lindsey Abed all just keep playing. Against Binghamton, Harrison was in a bit of foul trouble, Bingo had taken Lee out of the offense after a good first half and Abed was getting her shot but not hitting. UH was down by 12 with eight minutes to go when I said six games in 29 hours -- I had gone to Div. III first-round games Friday at Bowdoin -- was enough, and I went home. Dumb idea.

Be interesting to see which AE teams get bids for the WNIT. Albany's record of 24-7 might earn it a look for an at-large bid to NCAA, but its strength of schedule isn't strong. Maine got AE's first at-large (I believe) in '99 with 25-7. But Albany should get NIT for sure. Hartford maybe too if it loses to Maine, though it would be 18-13 then. Perhaps Bingo or Stony Brook but probably not both. Bingo is 19-11 and Stony Brook is 18-12. Both beat the conference champion, no matter who that turns out to be, once. And, one or more AE teams might buy into the WIBL.

In other places, Texas Tech, where Tihana Stojsavljevic transferred, lost PiG in Big 12 tournament. Butler, where Naira Caceras transferred, lost to one seed Marquette in the Big East. Duquesne, where Laia Sole transferred, went into A10 tournament at 23-6 and lost first round. Remember, Tanesha transferred to Maine from Duquesne. Laia Sole for Tanesha Sutton? I'll take that trade any day. Georgetown, where Anita Kelava transferred, is still alive in Big East. Wonder if those kids who transferred from Maine will watch ESPNU on Friday afternoon. At least three of them don't have game benches to sit on this week.

Go, Black Bears.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:51 am

Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:44 am

Women's Basketball America East Championship Tickets on Sale Now!

Orono, Maine -- The University of Maine women's basketball team will host Hartford on Friday, March 9 in the America East Championship at 4 p.m. Tickets are on sale now!

Fans can purchase their tickets by visiting the Cross Insurance Center box office during regular operating hours, online at GoBlackBears.com (additional fees will apply online) or by providing payment information through the UMaine box office by calling 207.581.BEAR.

Ticket prices for the America East Championship are $20 for adults and $10 for youth, senior citizens or groups (10+). Courtside seats can be purchased for $30. All seating will be reserved (no General Admission). Students at America East institutions can purchase tickets for $5 with valid student identification, and the first 200 UMaine students at Friday's game will be free with MaineCard.

Season Members' seats will be held for the first 48 hours, until 10 a.m. on Thursday morning, before being released for purchase to the general public. You can purchase your season ticket location by calling 581-BEAR.

Maine will host the conference title game for the first time since 1997-98 and will look to capture its eighth conference title and first since the 2003-04 season.
-UMaine-

http://www.goblackbears.com/news/2018/3 ... 10-am.aspx
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:47 am

UMaine Women's Basketball Back at Practice, Preparing for Conference Championship
- http://www.wabi.tv/content/sports/UMain ... 75493.html
- https://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/2 ... ford-press
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:56 am

Rossignol Shines Again

ORONO, MAINE (WABI)- Parise Rossignol was on the Black Bear team for two years and didn't play very much. After sitting out last year she knew she still had some basketball left in her.

http://www.wabi.tv/content/sports/Rossi ... 16353.html
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:11 am

Maine Women's Hoops
@BlackBearsWBB
Hey #BlackBearNation! - It's been 20 years since we last hosted the #AEHoops Championship! We need your support to #PackTheCross on Friday at 4 p.m.!
Tickets: http://bit.ly/2tjui93
#BlackBearNation #AETourney @bangorsavings @CICBangor
Watch video: https://twitter.com/BlackBearsWBB/statu ... 4883886080
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:02 am

Thinking big: Sutton has UMaine aiming for title
When the Black Bears host the America East women's basketball championship game Friday, they will look to undersized Tanesha Sutton for strength.

...Vachon opted for a four-guard system. That gives Maine an advantage on offense, with Sutton difficult to defend. But it also means Sutton is outsized on defense, having to play against power forwards at times.

“She was resistant a little bit, playing that 4-position,” Vachon said. “It’s not her position. Especially when we’re going up against the Mississippi States and the Dukes, she’s going up against 6-4, 6-5 players. She’s 5-10 on a good day.

“But she’s really embraced it. She’s done a really good job of figuring out how to guard down low, not fighting with them.”

Although Sutton is strong, she uses positioning and quickness to win battles.

“I really got a feel for it,” she said, “and figured out where I could be effective for my team.”

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/03/07/ ... for-title/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:40 am

Sutton, UMaine Women's Basketball Hope to Take Next Step in the Process

ORONO, MAINE (WABI) - UMaine women’s basketball plays for the conference title and a trip to the NCAA Tournament Friday at 4 PM.

http://www.wabi.tv/content/sports/Sutto ... 27013.html
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics