Walsh out

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Walsh out

Postby turkeyman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:36 pm

Sorry, 827, but you can't have it both ways. First reason you gave (when you joined this board at 2:23 p.m. today) for this being a bad hire is that Barron "is a terrible human." You went on to post, "He is manipulative, has mental issues, and is a terrible, terrible person." Then at 7:47 p.m., you posted, "I'm sure he is a great person." And you go on to post, "I am not going to pretend to know him personally."

Which is it, 827? Is he a "terrible human" (your words) or is he a "great person" (your words)? You cannot have it both ways.

I have talked with any number of players over the past 20 years, and certainly during all of the Barron years. I am sure some liked him better than did others. I'm sure some did not like him at all. I have seen players come back to campus knowing they would be at events where they would see Richard Barron. If he were so terrible, would they have come back to watch a game or to eat some lobster with the new players? When I go back to UMKC, I am surely not going to look up my biology 101 professor or my intro to anthropology professor. They were not good teachers. I do look up my medieval and Middle East history teacher. She is a great teacher and a great human being, and whatever I know about those histories is because of Carla Klausner.

My conversations with players are private, and I will not publicize either their names or what they said. But I have never heard the sort of grumbling you relate about Barron. Same goes for parents, and parents may be more likely to spill any rotten beans than players are. In several cases during the Barron years, Marilyn and I got to know the parents better than the players. Before Barron's time, Marilyn and I once moved our season ticket seats because we were afraid we were becoming too close to some parents who attended all the games, and we didn't want to be in the uncomfortable position of being in the middle of disputes between parents and coaches. And, we did hear that sort of grumbling about past coaches. Nothing so slanderous as what you suggest about Coach Barron, but what parent never thought her or his daughter should be the starter and the 1,000-point scorer? Of course they do. They love their daughters.

You also posted that the men's team thought Bob Walsh was terrible but others have quoted players as to how close the men's team might have been to becoming successful. And certainly the team played much better in the second half of this year, even though its W/L proportion didn't improve.

In my days as a newspaper editor, your sentence "He is manipulative, has mental issues, and is a terrible, terrible person" would have come out in a heartbeat, and the reporter who wrote it, whether in her own words or as a direct quote, would have been on the carpet. You offer no evidence. I gave you chapter and verse about my dealings with Barron AS A PERSON. You did not refute anything I posted, you only rebutted it with unsubstantiated assertions about Barron's mental state. The statement is slanderous and the instant you put it on paper or on the air it may become libelous. In Journalism 101, which I taught at UMaine and other schools, you would have learned that you are reporting facts and when you come to conclusions you MUST report the facts that led to the conclusions. That should apply to life as fully as it applies to journalism. Frankly, I hope Tom takes down your most slanderous assertions, unless you can back them with facts.

Amy Vachon got the interim job because she was the best possible short-run solution to a very serious gap (Barron's illness) in the resurgence of Maine wbb. She got the permanent job because she was 31-16 as a coach -- since signing she has won two more and is 33-16 -- and had the team performing at a high level. And because the question of what would become of two basketball programs was on the way to being resolved by offering the mbb job to Barron. We shall see if he can do the men's job. I know where my money is on this bet.

My heart is still with the women's program, but now I'll get up to Bangor (71 miles for me, each way) when the men's and women's schedules don't conflict, which is most often the case during the non-conference season. I am sorry now that I did not get to any of Coach Walsh's games, but my wife's illness sharply limited what she and/or I could do and we worked really hard to keep up our connections to the Maine wbb program.

Please, 827, when you post personal comments about someone, also post your evidence.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby mainefan827 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:40 pm

turkeyman wrote:Sorry, 827, but you can't have it both ways. First reason you gave (when you joined this board at 2:23 p.m. today) for this being a bad hire is that Barron "is a terrible human." You went on to post, "He is manipulative, has mental issues, and is a terrible, terrible person." Then at 7:47 p.m., you posted, "I'm sure he is a great person." And you go on to post, "I am not going to pretend to know him personally."

Which is it, 827? Is he a "terrible human" (your words) or is he a "great person" (your words)? You cannot have it both ways.

I have talked with any number of players over the past 20 years, and certainly during all of the Barron years. I am sure some liked him better than did others. I'm sure some did not like him at all. I have seen players come back to campus knowing they would be at events where they would see Richard Barron. If he were so terrible, would they have come back to watch a game or to eat some lobster with the new players? When I go back to UMKC, I am surely not going to look up my biology 101 professor or my intro to anthropology professor. They were not good teachers. I do look up my medieval and Middle East history teacher. She is a great teacher and a great human being, and whatever I know about those histories is because of Carla Klausner.

My conversations with players are private, and I will not publicize either their names or what they said. But I have never heard the sort of grumbling you relate about Barron. Same goes for parents, and parents may be more likely to spill any rotten beans than players are. In several cases during the Barron years, Marilyn and I got to know the parents better than the players. Before Barron's time, Marilyn and I once moved our season ticket seats because we were afraid we were becoming too close to some parents who attended all the games, and we didn't want to be in the uncomfortable position of being in the middle of disputes between parents and coaches. And, we did hear that sort of grumbling about past coaches. Nothing so slanderous as what you suggest about Coach Barron, but what parent never thought her or his daughter should be the starter and the 1,000-point scorer? Of course they do. They love their daughters.

You also posted that the men's team thought Bob Walsh was terrible but others have quoted players as to how close the men's team might have been to becoming successful. And certainly the team played much better in the second half of this year, even though its W/L proportion didn't improve.

In my days as a newspaper editor, your sentence "He is manipulative, has mental issues, and is a terrible, terrible person" would have come out in a heartbeat, and the reporter who wrote it, whether in her own words or as a direct quote, would have been on the carpet. You offer no evidence. I gave you chapter and verse about my dealings with Barron AS A PERSON. You did not refute anything I posted, you only rebutted it with unsubstantiated assertions about Barron's mental state. The statement is slanderous and the instant you put it on paper or on the air it may become libelous. In Journalism 101, which I taught at UMaine and other schools, you would have learned that you are reporting facts and when you come to conclusions you MUST report the facts that led to the conclusions. That should apply to life as fully as it applies to journalism. Frankly, I hope Tom takes down your most slanderous assertions, unless you can back them with facts.

Amy Vachon got the interim job because she was the best possible short-run solution to a very serious gap (Barron's illness) in the resurgence of Maine wbb. She got the permanent job because she was 31-16 as a coach -- since signing she has won two more and is 33-16 -- and had the team performing at a high level. And because the question of what would become of two basketball programs was on the way to being resolved by offering the mbb job to Barron. We shall see if he can do the men's job. I know where my money is on this bet.

My heart is still with the women's program, but now I'll get up to Bangor (71 miles for me, each way) when the men's and women's schedules don't conflict, which is most often the case during the non-conference season. I am sorry now that I did not get to any of Coach Walsh's games, but my wife's illness sharply limited what she and/or I could do and we worked really hard to keep up our connections to the Maine wbb program.

Please, 827, when you post personal comments about someone, also post your evidence.

Bob Neal
New Sharon

Would love to meet up and discuss or have a phone call.
mainefan827

Postby mikegormanfan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:13 pm

Let's set up a conference call
mikegormanfan

Postby mario_spaghettio » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:21 am

Barron has the same or less experience coaching mens college basketball as anyone posting in this thread. They gave him way too long a contract. Should have been year to year. Walsh 2.0 coming up.
mario_spaghettio

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:59 am

Walsh parts ways with Maine men's basketball, Barron in as head coach
- https://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/2 ... head-coach
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby umaine67 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:58 am

Certainly an odd hire. He hasn't coached men in more than 20 years, and that was on the DIII level.
Does he have any recruiting contacts at all on the men's side?
He'll need to bring in assistants with contacts, but that won't be easy considering our school doesn't pay much for assistants.
But, let's get behind him and hope this works out.
umaine67

Postby thebam » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:59 pm

RForester wrote:
mainefan827 wrote:
mainejeff wrote:This is SO very typical of MBR. Aliases are a dime a dozen on here...and so are anti-UMaine agendas.

A great big *YAWN*! :roll:

Would love to get you on the phone to really explain.

Hi Mainefan827 - I'd love to set up a call. Let me know what times work for you.

and if you would do us all the courtesy of providing the transcript of this conversation, that would be awesome... and fun..
thebam

Postby mainefan827 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:15 pm

basketball_guy wrote:Re: Walsh out
Postby mainefan827 » 06 Mar 2018 02:40

This is maine19fan before he switched over to mainefan827. That guy was a piece of work....he already got booted
off this board as well as basketballfofum.

I would be weary of listening to him.....

Who said I was a guy? Never been on this thing before. Everyone thought we saw the last of Barron- this is the only way I know how to get the truth out without getting fired.
mainefan827

Postby mainejeff » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:35 pm

I thought that you already were?
mainejeff

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:18 am

Outgoing UMaine coach Walsh praises players’ work ethic

...For the 46-year-old Walsh, that answer was no, in part due to what he described as the changing structure of his job during the last 18 months.

“Budget changes, budget challenges, and scheduling challenges made it really difficult, it made it different, so our players had to face a tremendous amount of adversity,” said Walsh, who came to UMaine before the 2014-15 season after a successful nine-year stint at Rhode Island College where he guided that team to more than 200 victories and eight consecutive NCAA Division III tournament appearances.

“Some of it was simply bad luck, injuries, personnel. Ultimately our inability to get all of our personnel out on the floor for the last two years had a significant impact but our guys fought like crazy no matter what.”

http://bangordailynews.com/2018/03/05/s ... ork-ethic/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics