Barron Is The Right Choice for Maine Men's Job

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Barron Is The Right Choice for Maine Men's Job

Postby Sports Chowdah » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:00 pm

So Richard Barron is the new men’s basketball coach at the University of Maine. When it comes to rebuilding a basketball program, Barron has been there, and done that. A few times. If he were a chef, he seemingly would have the ability to take table scraps and concoct a gourmet meal.

As the new University of Maine Men’s Head Coach, Barron is taking over one off the worst D-1 men’s programs in the country. But this is not new territory for the former Maine Women’s Coach.

When he arrived in Orono he took over a program that had won just twenty four total games the four prior seasons under former star player Cindy Blodgett. His Black Bears climbed the learning curve the first two seasons managing just 12 total wins. But by year three, Barron had his foundation built and Maine win total climbed every year to 17, 23 and 26.

Before UMaine, Barron began his Division I head coaching career at Princeton. After taking over the program fresh off a 2-25 season prior to his arrival, Barron guided the Tigers to an 11-16 record in his first season. During his six years at Princeton, Barron coached the Tigers to an Ivy League title in 2005-06, setting a school record for overall wins (21-7) and conference wins (12-2).

Before his time at Princeton, Barron spent five seasons at the University of the South in Sewanee, Tenn, compiling a 77-48 record during his tenure. In his final season at the University of the South, Barron guided the squad to its first ever conference championship and a No. 8 national ranking in Division III.

The Maine Men’s program will surely be a test of his abilities. The kitchen cabinet is pretty darn bare.
The team just wrapped up a 6-26 season. Only four of those wins came against Division One competition. The Black Bears have an RPI of 335. That’s out of 351 teams in the nation.

The program has a five year record of 30-124. They have not even won one conference tournament game since 2005. Not one. Sad.

But Barron’s resume speaks for itself. Everywhere he has been as a head coach, he has built winning programs. He knows the recipe.

Give him a couple of years to “shop for the groceries” as Bill Parcells once famously said, and Maine Black Bear fans will be dining on a five star meal in Orono.
Sports Chowdah

Re: Barron Is The Right Choice for Maine Men's Job

Postby fromthebench » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:10 pm

I don't think the cupboard is bare. If everyone returns, they just need a point guard to turn this ship around. I know I harp on the Moss kid. But it's like Dor Saar on the woman's team, a great point guard, even if undersized is your most important position. Maine does not have a single point guard on the roster. IMO Some undersized, shoot first two guards but no true point guard that can run a team and take care of the ball. They need to recruit a couple and let them duke it out. Moss should be one of them and he will win out if given the chance. This team could contend for the conference title next year with the new coach and that addition. IMO
fromthebench

Postby Blackbear28 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:27 pm

FTB: I haven't seen any high school basketball but isn't Moss like 5'10? I'd love to see Maine kids play at Maine if they can play but I don't like the idea of giving a scholarship to a kid under 6' unless they have elite (40+ inch vertical) athleticism. Like I said I don't watch any high school basketball but from what others have posted on this board it sounds like Flemming's younger brother might be a better target for a scholarship. Unless I'm mistaken Moss doesn't have any D1 offers. I wouldn't hate bringing him in as a walk on and giving him a real chance to earn a scholarship, if he can crack the rotation.

Regardless this is the first time I've been optimistic about the men's team in years. I may even get season tickets for next year.
Blackbear28

Postby mainefan827 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:30 pm

Want to know why this is a bad hire?

Because he is a terrible human. Ask any member of the women's basketball team in the past 4 years and they will all have the same opinion. Not a single player has a good thing to say about him. They were threatened to keep quiet. Everyone transferred because of him and more than 3 threatened to transfer if he came back. That is why Vachon got the job (that and she has been an incredible coach and leader).

The entire men's team is livid with this hire. They weren't sure it could get worse than Walsh but they are starting to prove otherwise. It will only show in time how much every athlete at Maine hates Barron. He is manipulative, has mental issues, and is a terrible, terrible person.
mainefan827

Postby fafan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:53 pm

mainefan827 wrote:Want to know why this is a bad hire?

Because he is a terrible human. Ask any member of the women's basketball team in the past 4 years and they will all have the same opinion. Not a single player has a good thing to say about him. They were threatened to keep quiet. Everyone transferred because of him and more than 3 threatened to transfer if he came back. That is why Vachon got the job (that and she has been an incredible coach and leader).

The entire men's team is livid with this hire. They weren't sure it could get worse than Walsh but they are starting to prove otherwise. It will only show in time how much every athlete at Maine hates Barron. He is manipulative, has mental issues, and is a terrible, terrible person.

Wow, Had heard rumblings that the mass exodus from the Women's team that occurred might have had something to do with Barron but nothing ever came of it. I still vividly remember him yanking the 3rd team off the floor against Clemson b/c of a couple bad possessions and thought his behavior was over the top. Parisse leaving the team and coming back to play for Amy does play into this theory. Guess I am willing to think his medical situation had something to do with his behavior and obviously the University should have addressed this with him before hiring him on as the men's head coach. Still hoping that the turnaround he had with women's team translates to the men's side but time tells all ;)
fafan

Postby mainefan827 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:58 pm

fafan wrote:
mainefan827 wrote:Want to know why this is a bad hire?

Wow, Had heard rumblings that the mass exodus from the Women's team that occurred might have had something to do with Barron but nothing ever came of it. I still vividly remember him yanking the 3rd team off the floor against Clemson b/c of a couple bad possessions and thought his behavior was over the top. Parisse leaving the team and coming back to play for Amy does play into this theory. Guess I am willing to think his medical situation had something to do with his behavior and obviously the University should have addressed this with him before hiring him on as the men's head coach. Still hoping that the turnaround he had with women's team translates to the men's side but time tells all ;)

The players were instructed to keep their mouths shut regarding this. They too hope it was his medical issues that caused this. Only time will tell. He was vicious, threatened his players, and was an extremely negative influence on their lives. Parise is putting on a good face for the program when asked about him but not one player talks positively about him behind the scenes.
mainefan827

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:30 pm

Barron named UMaine men’s basketball head coach following Walsh’s decision not to extend contract

Orono, Maine — Richard Barron, University of Maine special assistant to the director of athletics, has been named head coach of the men's basketball team.

Following coach Bob Walsh's decision to not seek a contract extension, the university moved forward with the appointment of Barron.

Effective March 5, Barron will immediately assume all head coaching responsibilities.

"The university would like to thank Bob Walsh for his hard work and dedication to the men's basketball program," says UMaine Director of Athletics Karlton Creech. "Coach Walsh's teams achieved academically while showing great toughness and perseverance on the court. We wish him the best moving forward."

UMaine President Susan J. Hunter echoed Creech's remarks, adding her appreciation for the efforts of Walsh and his team in the past four years, and looking ahead to the next chapter in UMaine men's basketball.

"Men's basketball is an important part of Division I athletics at the University of Maine and in the state," Hunter says. "We are pleased to see Richard returning to the court and we look forward to where his leadership will take UMaine men's basketball."

Barron has signed a five-year contract to be head coach of the men's basketball team, effective March 5. Beginning July 1, his annual salary will be $160,000, with a $5,000 increase at the start of the second year.

Since Dec. 1, he has been serving in a seven-month appointment as special assistant to the Athletic Director. He was head coach of the women's basketball team when he became ill in January 2017 and took a medical leave of absence.

Barron began his appointment as UMaine head coach on May 10, 2011. He guided the Black Bears to a pair of America East regular season titles and three-straight postseason appearances.

"Richard Barron has an impressive track record of success throughout his career," says Creech. "His skill as a basketball coach is unquestioned. Richard has an incredible basketball IQ, and the ability to share that knowledge through coaching and teaching. Under his leadership, our men's basketball student-athletes will learn and grow.

"Richard's previous success as our women's basketball coach makes him uniquely qualified to understand what it takes to build a program here at UMaine," Creech says. "We are excited that Richard and his family will remain involved, valuable members of this community."
Barron named UMaine men’s basketball head coach following Walsh’s decision not to extend contract

http://goblackbears.com/news/2018/3/5/b ... tract.aspx
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby rozzie » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:36 pm

Reasons why this may be a good hire? He has built programs before; knows the lay of the land(still can see him handing out tickets at a Bangor High Girls' JV game a few years ago); knows who the boosters are; knows how this duck tape and baling wire Athletic Department works; he and wife and family love the area; knows how to build a staff.

Reasons why this may not be? He has never coached a D1 men's team before; he has no connections on the men's side.

I'm not concerned with what has been attributed to him above, absent some more. He took over a trainwreck of a program and had to get everyone rowing in the same direction. Having tried to hire several folks at my business who are millenials, i imagine being told no and being told so vociferously, didn't sit well with some of them. They have the right to stay or leave and those who chose to leave, that's okay. LIfe is short.

However, Rudy was a nice guy---that didn't work out great. He didn't demand improvement and commitment. Gianninni did. He could be an a**hole and guess what, he had more success in modern D1 basketball than any UMaine coach. Watch him on the sideline now--he's a maniac and I love it.

Ted was an low key intellectual. He let the players police themselves and as time passed, the inmates were running the asylum.

I am perplexed why Walsh didn't succeed--I wonder if he could have managed personalities better if he wouldn't have been more successful. Can you imagine if he had not lost his recruits to transfer? That would be a formidable line-up this year. That said, there was something askew about him---he was into the "brand" of Walsh basketball with his speeches and Twitter and coaching seminars-, the self-proclaimed smartest guy in the room--kinda like the professor who can teach, but can't do it in the real world. His players didn't seem to respect him and that was his demise.

Honestly, if a bunch of players who have won 6 games this year want to leave, I'm frankly okay with that. They aren't in a position to be patted on the back and told what an excellent job they did. They didn't. And, if their feelings get hurt, then leave. I think that Barron will bring in mentally tough players who will row in the direction he sets. I'm finally a little interested in UMaine basketball again, after having gone to 2 games in 7 years, whereas i virtually never missed a home game from '92--2010.
rozzie

Postby mikegormanfan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:18 pm

What a ballsy hire. I love it. Barron will tackle this job and succeed. When does his Euro tour start?
mikegormanfan

Postby basketball_guy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:21 pm

Has anyone heard whether Barron is going to keep Coach Bob Simon as an Assistant Coach or are all current Assistants out as of today as well?
basketball_guy

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics