Maine women's basketball falls to Texas 83-54

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: WBB Wins .. to host 2018 America East Championship game

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:58 pm

64-48..

Maine Women's Hoops
@BlackBearsWBB
MAINE WINS! WE'RE HEADED TO THE AE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!
Millan finished with a team-high 16pts.
#BlackBearNation #AETourney
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby GoBlackBears » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:59 pm

Maine wins 64-48. Play winner of Hartford/Albany at cross center Friday at 4
GoBlackBears

Postby Blind Zebra » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:01 pm

Hartford wins a nail biter against Albany! The Hawks are gonna be a tough out for Maine. They've now won 5 in a row.
Blind Zebra

Postby CFJunior » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:12 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:Hartford wins a nail biter against Albany! The Hawks are gonna be a tough out for Maine. They've now won 5 in a row.

I would rather see Hartford then Albany. The way Maine played this weekend I don't see anyone in America East beating them.
CFJunior

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:48 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:Hartford wins a nail biter against Albany! The Hawks are gonna be a tough out for Maine. They've now won 5 in a row.

BZ: Hartford 58 Albany 56. Hartford holds Albany to 8 4th quarter points while scoring 13 themselves trailing 48 to 43 at the end of 3 quarters.

Maine beat Hartford at Hartford on Jan. 24 59-44 and beat them at Home on Feb. 5th 59-56.

Would hope for a crowd of 4,000 plus this coming Friday for a 4:00pm game at the CIC in Bangor.

Maine shows that a team of basketball players playing basketball from the shoulders up using high IQ basketball skills can win a conference regular season championship and two games in the conference tourney against teams that have more athletes playing basketball from the shoulders down and using athletic skills more than basketball IQ skills.

Especially after being picked to finish 6th in the AE women's coaches pre-season poll.

This is the results of having the best coach in the conference by far despite having to overcome loss of the original head coach who recruited most of the current players and losing 5 players from last year's team by transfer.

Plus, an excellent recruit by Coach Vachon in finding a freshmen point guard to replace one of the best point guards in the program's history which includes Coach Vachon as one of these best point guards herself.

Coach Vachon becomes the first female Mainer, who played high school girls basketball in Maine, the first lady UMaine player and first assistant UMaine women's coach to become the women's first women's head basketball coach with all those Maine qualifications. A lot of first's right there.

Great and Smart timing to name her and give her a four year contract to become this first female Mainer to achieve all that she has in basketball in Maine and UMaine right before the America East Tournament. What a great motivating factor by the administration.

Timing is everything and this couldn't have been done at a better time. Well done, UMaine administration responsible for this outstanding hiring. Best hire in a long time at UMaine in athletics.
bcbc55

Postby fafan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:39 pm

Great crowd and atmosphere in Portland today. Can't say enough good things about the tourney and how professional the AE and the crew in Portland is except for one thing- the obnoxious audio feedback that occurred routinely thruout the game, guess this has been on going issue at the CIA, needs to be fixed :o

I am thinking Hartford is a better option than Albany. If we play like we did today and Saturday certainly like our chances. The play of Parisse is really quite amazing and Saar's ball handling just continues to improve. Here is to hoping we go dancing and a huge crowd on Friday as well.

Article on the game from UMaine site- http://www.goblackbears.com/news/2018/3 ... -game.aspx
fafan

Postby mainah57 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:29 am

Just an all-around incredible tournament performance by Maine this weekend. This team is FUN to watch, and I hope the Cross Center is PACKED on Friday!

It would be nice to get some students there... I know students don't tend to turn up for regular season WBB games, but this is a BIG one - I hope they can find a way to draw in some groups of students (frats? other student athletes?) to help make some noise come Friday.

I have to agree that Parise was definitely the story of this tournament. She is hitting her stride at the right time and making an impact on this program a BIG way. To see just how far she's come over this last year has just been amazing - truly a role model and leader for the entire team. Really happy to see her getting some much-deserved recognition... she seems to be just an all-around great kid. I hope we see lots of Northern Maine representation at the CIC on Friday!

In terms of Albany vs. Hartford - both are tough teams who can put Maine to the test. However, I have to agree that I was happy to see Hartford come away with the W. In addition to it meaning that the 6-year Albany conference championship streak is officially over (finally!), I think that Hartford is overall a slightly better matchup for Maine. I think it will ultimately come down to how well Maine is able to handle Hartford's press (Dor Saar, get ready!). Overall though, it has been an outstanding season for Maine and I hope they can keep it going for one more game.

When was the last time Maine has hosted a conference championship game? It's probably been at least 10 years??
mainah57

Postby mainah57 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:02 am

Ignore my earlier question... I just read the above article, apparently last time we hosted was in 1998-1999. Love it!!!!
mainah57

Postby MaineBBFan99 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:35 am

Ignore my earlier question... I just read the above article, apparently last time we hosted was in 1998-1999. Love it!!!!

Sorry to be nit picky, but I think the article is a year off. Maine last hosted the conference title game during the 1997-98 season in a thriller against Vermont (the 1998-99 and 1999-00 season tournaments were held in Burlington).

Great recaps, everyone. It has just been a blast to have watched this team grow from its blowout loss against D-2 Stonehill to being on the precipice of a trip to the Big Dance! There have been so many compelling storylines this season, including (in no particular order): 1) Blanca Millan putting this team on her shoulders and serving as the poster child for offensive (and defensive) consistency en route to an MVP-caliber season; 2) Dor Saar performing admirably throughout the season as the starting PG on her way to Rookie of the Year honors; 3) Tanesha Sutton's growth as a legitimate force inside culminating in her leading Maine to the regular season title over Albany last week as well as second team all-conference honors; 4) Coach Vachon's well-deserved Coach of the Year honors (and 4-year contract) after steadying the ship following the transfer of five players and leading the team to (at least) a regular season title; and, of course, 5) the outstanding contributions of Parise Rossignol throughout the season on her way to Sixth Player of the Year honors - we all knew about her pull-up jumper (is there a better one in the conference?), but her defensive tenacity this season had added a whole new dimension to her already impressive game. I mean, seriously, take your pick!

Really hope Friday's ridiculous 4 PM start time doesn't adversely impact attendance, as these kids deserve to play for a trip to the Big Dance in front of a huge home crowd!
MaineBBFan99

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:21 am

Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics