Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Vermont ends MBB season.. . 2018 AE Tournament

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:13 am

#AEHoops
@AEHoopsNews
Watch @BlackBearMBB press conference live!
https://twitter.com/AEHoopsNews/status/ ... 7210919936

Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby dunbar » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:59 am

26 losses with an average margin of defeat of 13.5. Average margin of defeat in conference play was 12.1 points.

The Walsh watch is on. With only losing Er and Melmed to graduation, and getting Eze back from injury hopefully, it’ll be interesting to see what any coach will have going forward. Barring mass departures again, the core nucleus is all back. Call me crazy, but I think retaining Walsh might be the best solution moving forward. It’s a lack of talent and institutional resources that really keeps the program from competing.
dunbar

Postby basketball_guy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:58 am

No way they keep Walsh.
basketball_guy

Postby mikegormanfan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:11 pm

Walsh will not be given a new contract.
mikegormanfan

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:04 pm

dunbar wrote:26 losses with an average margin of defeat of 13.5. Average margin of defeat in conference play was 12.1 points.

The Walsh watch is on. With only losing Er and Melmed to graduation, and getting Eze back from injury hopefully, it’ll be interesting to see what any coach will have going forward. Barring mass departures again, the core nucleus is all back. Call me crazy, but I think retaining Walsh might be the best solution moving forward. It’s a lack of talent and institutional resources that really keeps the program from competing.

dunbar: I agree, Maine has a lot back adding Eze. The question is will the returnees which have good AE talent s a group will they stay and wait until the new coach is named before deciding to go or to stay to me is the big question.

The longer it takes to make a decision on whether to keep Walsh or not the farther the coach who ever it is will be behind in the recruiting process, but if no players leave then all Maine will have is one scholarship available being Ilker Er's.

Now that Maine has named Vachon as the women's coach which was a great move and the men's season is donedon;t you think they should move as quickly as possible on the men's basketball job?

Creech hired Walsh and he should make the decision on to let him go or keep him before be leaves and then everyone would know what page the men's program is on and it's direction.
bcbc55

Postby Blind Zebra » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:53 pm

I've gone back and forth on this topic and the more I thought about it....Creech, as outgoing AD, should extend Coach Walsh 2 years. If he fires Walsh, I think several of the players won't be far behind him. You will see a rash of transfers. This leaves a prospective new coach with an empty cupboard and very little time to recruit replacement players. The new coach would be in a worse position than the team is now. picking up whatever left over players have not committed, in order to fill spots. A new coach and a new AD with the same underfunded program, floundering at the bottom of the America East.
I believe that the majority of players that Bob Walsh has in the program now are committed to him and play hard for him. Maine lost 25 games, but dammit, they competed and worked hard. Could've mailed it in against Vermont, but they played them tough, leading for much of the first half never giving up against a great, Senior laden team.
A couple of talented players can make a big difference in a low major conference. If Maine could bring in an impact point guard and a good two way big, they can move up the standings pretty quickly (see UMBC and Hartford this year and neither brought in a ton. They just got healthy.) Hopefully Vince Eze and Trae Bryant can return to health and Maine can add a couple of nice pieces.
Letting Walsh go would completely blow everything up yet again. This program needs stability and support not mass amounts of transfers.
Blind Zebra

Postby basketball_guy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:14 am

It needs a Coach who knows how to win at the Division 1 level....and that is not Walsh.
He should resign for the future sake of the UMAINE BASKETBALL program.
basketball_guy

Postby Blind Zebra » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:47 am

Maine is not going to get a proven D1 head coach for the salary they are willing to pay. The applicants will be D1 assistants and D2 & D3 head coaches.
Blind Zebra

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics