Love the Vachon hire! What's next for Barron?

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Love the Vachon hire! What's next for Barron?

Postby Sports Chowdah » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:43 pm

Sunday during the thrilling Maine win over Albany at the Cross Center I wondered out loud what Amy Vachon would be doing next season? Well, now I know.

Vachon has signed a four-year contract with the University of Maine to be head coach of the women's basketball team.

While nobody has asked me yet, I’ll say right now I LOVE the hire! Coach Vachon has succeeded at every level of basketball as a player and coach. I’m thrilled to see a Maine native and former Black Bear get this opportunity.

I did radio play by play for much of her career at UMaine and was always impressed with her ability to manage a team on the court. She helped lead the Black Bears to four-straight NCAA Tournament appearances and she was a member of the 1999 team that knocked off Stanford in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

While Vachon played at UMaine, the Black Bears compiled a four-year record of 87-35, including a 61-11 record in conference play.

But her work on the sidelines has been equally impressive.

This season Vachon has guided the Black Bears to a 20-9 record and a regular season conference title.

Last season she had the tough job of stepping in for the very successful Richard Barron. Maine went 11-7, along the way upsetting No. 1 UNH to earn a trip to the America East title game.
Pretty darn good.

Prior to joining the UMaine staff, Vachon was the head girls' basketball coach at Catherine McAuley High School, guiding the squad to the 2011 Maine Class A State Championship.

As a player at Cony, she played on two-state championships teams and in 1996, she was named Miss Maine Basketball.

Hiring Amy is truly a win for the UMaine Athletic Department, the Women’s basketball team and its fans.

So, the next question is, what does the future hold for Richard Barron? Thankfully his health appears too have returned. He is a terrific coach on the court, a fantastic role model for his players, and did a masterful job or promoting the program while working with boosters and the community.

There has been rumbling that if UMaine parts with current men’s coach Bob Walsh, Barron might take that job. I remain unconvinced although there’s not much I’d like to see more than a great men’s hoops team at
U Maine, and I bet he could do it.

Some think he might like to be the next Athletic Director at UMaine, but he told us point-blank on the Drive on 92.9FM that he wants to coach and does not want to be an administrator at this time.
So, its seems he will be on the sidelines somewhere next season? Will it be here in Maine?
Sports Chowdah

Re: Love the Vachon hire! What's next for Barron?

Postby duke11 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:55 pm

Keep an eye on Texas Tech and Boston College
duke11

Postby mikegormanfan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:14 pm

THose schools are going to hire a guy that hasn't coached in two years? Dream on Duke
mikegormanfan

Postby turkeyman » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:11 am

Here's an idea. Don't know if he would like it or whether NCAA would approve it. What if Richard Barron became Maine basketball's Grant Standbrook for both women's and men's? Super scout, super recruiter. Not sure he'd fancy spending a lot of nights in cold barns in North Dakota the way Standbrook did, but he has proven he can spot talent and that he can recruit players into one another, that is players who complement others he has recruited.

A lot of the game has changed lately. Look at the ascendance of relatively short but more athletic women at all levels. Some teams now play an all-guard set. Several teams have any of two or three players bring up the ball. Quite a few teams are setting up threes in the low post, as Maine does Tanesha. Quite a few teams have top rebounders who aren't particularly tall. Didn't Dor lead the team in boards a couple of games this year?

Would an associate head coach for recruiting on both sides be allowed? Would it work? I dunno. Just occurred to me tonight listening to 96.3 FM (The Big Jab) actually covering women's sports with a report on the America East awards and the guys wondering whether Barron would stay. I was stunned that The Big Jab was covering wbb at Maine, about as stunned as I am when public radio gives a score -- that is the extent of public radio's sports coverage, other than the outstanding program (7 a.m. Saturdays) Only A Game -- that isn't from a New York, Boston or Portland pro team.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby basketball_guy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:41 pm

With all the changes going on at UMAINE I suspect he moves on, but he would be an excellent choice for Mens Basketball coach.

Of course it would mean either Walsh gets fired after today or leaves voluntarily which I don't think will happen right away. The handwriting is on the wall though.
basketball_guy

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics