Amy has signed a 4 year deal!!!
duke11

Re: Vachon

Postby mikegormanfan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:28 pm

Ok...so where does Barron go?
mikegormanfan

Postby turkeyman » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:55 pm

Great news, indeed. Both for the four-year term and for this weekend. She has shown time and again that she is up to the job and more. She is 31-16 in a year and a half, and for the first part of that term, no one knew for sure what was going on. Then she lost five players (plus two good players who graduated) and came back with a team that is significantly better than the previous team. I may never have seen a team with better chemistry.

Watching from afar and from up close, I am struck at how Coach Vachon maintains the respect of the players and can also be casual around and with them, to relate personally, it seems. That is a very neat trick, and many coaches can't do it, or they can't do it without someone else to help them play good cop-bad cop. And you need only watch a few minutes to see her bench coaching. She is fully engaged in the game that is on the floor in front of her, and she coaches accordingly from the bench

I would still like to see Richard Barron step in as men's coach, should Bob Walsh leave. Barron has experience on the men's side, and he knows how to recruit. He probably know how differently to approach the parents of young men as opposed to the parents of young women. And we know he can sell kids on the attraction of rebuilding a program. Or, in this case, building a program from scratch.

Congratulations, Coach Vachon.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby fafan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:57 pm

Nailed it Bob, let's hope you are correct on Barron ;)

http://goblackbears.com/news/2018/3/2/w ... maine.aspx
fafan

Postby GoBlackBears » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:03 pm

Glad that she was named coach. She earned it.
GoBlackBears

Postby Sports Chowdah » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:38 pm

Heres my blog just posted at www.sportschowdah.com
Jeff Solari

Sunday during the thrilling Maine win over Albany at the Cross Center I wondered out loud what Amy Vachon would be doing next season? Well, now I know.

Vachon has signed a four-year contract with the University of Maine to be head coach of the women's basketball team.

While nobody has asked me yet, I’ll say right now I LOVE the hire! Coach Vachon has succeeded at every level of basketball as a player and coach. I’m thrilled to see a Maine native and former Black Bear get this opportunity.

I did radio play by play for much of her career at UMaine and was always impressed with her ability to manage a team on the court. She helped lead the Black Bears to four-straight NCAA Tournament appearances and she was a member of the 1999 team that knocked off Stanford in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

While Vachon played at UMaine, the Black Bears compiled a four-year record of 87-35, including a 61-11 record in conference play.

But her work on the sidelines has been equally impressive.

This season Vachon has guided the Black Bears to a 20-9 record and a regular season conference title.

Last season she had the tough job of stepping in for the very successful Richard Barron. Maine went 11-7, along the way upsetting No. 1 UNH to earn a trip to the America East title game.
Pretty darn good.

Prior to joining the UMaine staff, Vachon was the head girls' basketball coach at Catherine McAuley High School, guiding the squad to the 2011 Maine Class A State Championship.

As a player at Cony, she played on two-state championships teams and in 1996, she was named Miss Maine Basketball.

Hiring Amy is truly a win for the UMaine Athletic Department, the Women’s basketball team and its fans.

So, the next question is, what does the future hold for Richard Barron? Thankfully his health appears too have returned. He is a terrific coach on the court, a fantastic role model for his players, and did a masterful job or promoting the program while working with boosters and the community.

There has been rumbling that if UMaine parts with current men’s coach Bob Walsh, Barron might take that job. I remain unconvinced although there’s not much I’d like to see more than a great men’s hoops team at
U Maine, and I bet he could do it.

Some think he might like to be the next Athletic Director at UMaine, but he told us point-blank on the Drive on 92.9FM that he wants to coach and does not want to be an administrator at this time.
So, its seems he will be on the sidelines somewhere next season? Will it be here in Maine?
Sports Chowdah

Postby imposter » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:39 pm

Looks like Barron will be moving on.......
imposter

Postby hoopsisme » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:16 pm

Where is Barron headed?
hoopsisme

Postby imposter » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:33 pm

by duke11 » 02 Mar 2018 17:55
Keep an eye on Texas Tech and Boston College
imposter

Postby Blind Zebra » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:25 pm

Keep in mind the Barron's love the Bangor area. He doesn't strike me as a metro Boston guy. Also, I think Richard would enjoy the challenge of taking over the Men's program. Don't screw this up UMaine! Pay him 180 K and give him a realistic budget to work with. Watch the wins accumulate and the Cross Center fill up!
Blind Zebra

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics