UMBC women edges UML 73-65 now meet UMaine on Saturday

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

UMBC women edges UML 73-65 now meet UMaine on Saturday

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:46 pm

UMBC moves on to the quarter-finals to take on top seed UMaine women on Saturday as they got by 9th seed 73-65 at home in the 8-9 play in game tonight.

Maine is currently ranked as the 76th of 349 D-1 team RPI rankings and UMBC is ranked 324. Maine's SOS (strength of Schedule) is 123 and UMBC is 221.

The best for Maine women in the tourney results is a trip to the "big dance" and the worse is a trip to the "NIT". 76th puts them in the major division of the 349 D-1 women's teams.

Some great America East Conference Awards should be coming to Maine.

Coach of the year: Vachon
All conference First team: Millan and Sutton
Rookie if the Year: Saar and all rookie first team: Saar

Hope the other 8 AE women coaches pick better for these awards then they did for picking Maine to finish 6th in their pre-season standing poll. Saar

These should be automatic.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Re: UMBC women edges UML 73-65 now meet UMaine on Saturday

Postby MaineBBFan99 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:10 am

Maine is currently ranked as the 76th of 349 D-1 team RPI rankings and UMBC is ranked 220. Maine's SOS (strength of Schedule) is 123 and UMBC is 324.

I think you have UMBC's strength of schedule of RPI rankings reversed.

76th puts them in the major division of the 349 D-1 women's teams.

What is this "major division" of which you speak?

Hope the other 8 AE women coaches pick better for these awards then they did for picking Maine to finish 6th in their pre-season standing poll. Saar

Millan on first team and Vachon as Coach of the Year should be automatic. I don't have a good sense for who Saar's competition is for Rookie of the Year, but based on the fact that 1) she has won Rookie of the Week 3-4 times and 2) is the starting PG for the regular season champions likely makes her the front runner. As valuable as Sutton is to Maine (and as much of a fan as I am of hers), I think the best she does is second team. I think she was borderline second team/third team going into the Albany game, and her outstanding performance in that contest solidified her spot on the second team.
MaineBBFan99

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:49 am

MaineBBFan99 wrote:
Maine is currently ranked as the 76th of 349 D-1 team RPI rankings and UMBC is ranked 220. Maine's SOS (strength of Schedule) is 123 and UMBC is 324.

I think you have UMBC's strength of schedule of RPI rankings reversed.

76th puts them in the major division of the 349 D-1 women's teams.

What is this "major division" of which you speak?

Millan on first team and Vachon as Coach of the Year should be automatic. I don't have a good sense for who Saar's competition is for Rookie of the Year, but based on the fact that 1) she has won Rookie of the Week 3-4 times and 2) is the starting PG for the regular season champions likely makes her the front runner. As valuable as Sutton is to Maine (and as much of a fan as I am of hers), I think the best she does is second team. I think she was borderline second team/third team going into the Albany game, and her outstanding performance in that contest solidified her spot on the second team.

MaineBasketballFan99: Thanks for helping out an old basketball senior citizen. I made the changes on my post.

Major division I was referring to is Major, mid major and low major classifications of the 349 D-1 women's teams. Usually top 100 are considered major.

Sutton should be on first team as they are the regular season AE champions. That should get them 2 first team spots. That fact should really help her. If she doesn't make first team then that is like the AE other coaches picking UMaine to finish 6th in their pre-season coaches poll.They were really wrong on that and they will be just as wrong if Sutton isn't selected for the first team.

Best post up power layup player in the conference even though she is only 5'10'. Should have been used there more this year than she was until the last Albany game. Better late then never and they should not change that offensive game scheme for this coming weekend. The Inside threat that she is will really open up the inside-outside game to get better 3 point looks because if Sutton isn't doubled down on then she will score at will in the paint even against her bigger defenders if she gets the same or more number touches she got against Albany.
bcbc55

Postby MaineBBFan99 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:37 pm

If she doesn't make first team then that is like the AE other coaches picking UMaine to finish 6th in their pre-season coaches poll.They were really wrong on that and they will be just as wrong if Sutton isn't selected for the first team.

Apples and oranges - one is prospective (preseason poll) and one is retrospective (evaluating who performed the best during the conference regular season). And honestly, while I did think the sixth place ranking in the preseason poll was low at the time, did you foresee Maine winning the regular season title following the losses of Koizar and Sole? I would be very (pleasantly) surprised if Sutton makes first team, but I really think it will be Watkins (POY), Millan, Fequiere, Shorty Johnson, and Crymble. Either way, we'll find out tomorrow night!
MaineBBFan99

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:39 pm

MaineBBFan99 wrote:
If she doesn't make first team then that is like the AE other coaches picking UMaine to finish 6th in their pre-season coaches poll.They were really wrong on that and they will be just as wrong if Sutton isn't selected for the first team.

Apples and oranges - one is prospective (preseason poll) and one is retrospective (evaluating who performed the best during the conference regular season). And honestly, while I did think the sixth place ranking in the preseason poll was low at the time, did you foresee Maine winning the regular season title following the losses of Koizar and Sole? I would be very (pleasantly) surprised if Sutton makes first team, but I really think it will be Watkins (POY), Millan, Fequiere, Shorty Johnson, and Crymble. Either way, we'll find out tomorrow night!

99: You are correct about apples and oranges. Good deduction on your part not so good on mine.

However, I think Sutton is a very good all around player who is one the most if not the most versatile player in the conference.

She can do an awful lot of different positive things. Many of which do not show up in the stats sheet. Great leader by example not by words. When she plays well, Maine plays well. She is a great example of "actions speak a lot louder than words".

She can play facing the basket, is one of the best post up players even at 5'10" in the conference, excellent defender, rebounder and gets here share if big assists at crucial times in close games.

Best transfer to Maine on the women's side in a long time. Can't really remember at my age if there has been any better in the program's history. Maine was real lucky to get her. Hope she makes first team and Maine deserves two as the regular season champions.

If I was picking a team to play other conference all-star first teams I would want Sutton as one of my 5 players.
bcbc55

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics