Amy Vachon

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Amy Vachon

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:59 pm

Linguist wrote:
bcbc55 wrote :
It is going to take a coach who knows how to rebuild a program from scratch and how to coach the players that they have.

bcbc55, in a previous post you wrote the above quote.

I can't think of a person better than Richard Barron to do just that. He's done it before after the train wreck that was Cindy Blodgett and he did it at Maine. He recruited for the region, for the university, for the area, he found a couple of Maine kids (which you like), and he brought in players who changed the culture to fit what he wanted and he turned it into a winning program....quickly.

He would be the perfect fit to readjust the men's program. Perfect.

Clearly it makes too much sense, so the Athletic Department at UMaine will never consider it. Kreech will open up a national search to replace Walsh, and hire someone who flounders. He will ask Amy Vachon to slide back in to her associate head coach role and go back to her previous salary, and she will leave UMaine for another job some where burning bridges along the way.

Fun to be a UMaine hoops fan.

Linguist: Two ties in a row I got your name spelled right, I m on a roll.

I understand your post after you put it the way you did. Very interesting, sincere, timely, informative and relevant.

However, like you said If they don't hire Barron then they will go outside on a national search. I just hope they give Chris Markwood a better look then they did 4 years ago. He is the associate head coach of a top 100 RPI Team 78th in fact Northeastern and 112th in SOS of 351 D-1 teams in the Colonial AA conference which is the 12th ranked RPI conference of 32 and 13th in SOS so he has high level major D-1 experience and contacts, plus being from Maine and a former Maine high school and UMaine player and was an assistant coach at Maine.

All he doesn't have is head college coaching experience and Maine would be a great place for him to get it by coming back home and staying not using the job as a career stepping stone like any out of stater would as shown in the past.

We will just have to wait and see. If not Markwood I could live with Barron or even Bob Simon, the assistant coach currently under Walsh.
bcbc55

Postby Linguist » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:48 am

The university and the athletic department could very well change the requirements for this search now that they realized the mandatory head coaching experience limits them truly to D1 and D2 coaches because no D1 coaches with experience are going to be slumming at Maine.

Probably no D2 coaches will either.

So that means the only possible hire is a D3 coach and we've proven through this four year long experiment that doesn't work.

I would hope UMaine's leadership realizes that and changes their search requirements.

Actually I don't. I'd like to see Barron turn around the men's program, and let Vachon remain at the helm of the women's program.
Linguist

Postby Blind Zebra » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:02 am

I would love to see Richard Barron take over the Men's program. Maine Jeff suggested it and this really makes sense. Barron is a proven in-game strategist. He has proven he can develop players. He can recruit internationally, which this program needs in order to get the best talent available. Also, he and his family are settled here and love the community. Most importantly, he knows the UMaine landscape, It's limitations and strengths. Barron knows how to promote his program in Maine and excels with community engagement.
Amy has done a terrific job as the interim head coach of the women's team. The most impressive aspect of her coaching is how she seems to get the most out of her team. This team is young and inexperienced and the bench is thin. Amy knows which buttons to push and the players really respond to her. She deserves the promtion to Head Coach.
Blind Zebra

Postby fafan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:09 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:I would love to see Richard Barron take over the Men's program. Maine Jeff suggested it and this really makes sense. Barron is a proven in-game strategist. He has proven he can develop players. He can recruit internationally, which this program needs in order to get the best talent available. Also, he and his family are settled here and love the community. Most importantly, he knows the UMaine landscape, It's limitations and strengths. Barron knows how to promote his program in Maine and excels with community engagement.
Amy has done a terrific job as the interim head coach of the women's team. The most impressive aspect of her coaching is how she seems to get the most out of her team. This team is young and inexperienced and the bench is thin. Amy knows which buttons to push and the players really respond to her. She deserves the promtion to Head Coach.

I think we all agree this would be a win/win for both the Men's and Women's programs. But I also at this point have no idea if this is a pipe dream or something that is actually being considered ;)
fafan

Postby mainejeff » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:42 pm

fafan wrote:
Blind Zebra wrote:I would love to see Richard Barron take over the Men's program. Maine Jeff suggested it and this really makes sense. Barron is a proven in-game strategist. He has proven he can develop players. He can recruit internationally, which this program needs in order to get the best talent available. Also, he and his family are settled here and love the community. Most importantly, he knows the UMaine landscape, It's limitations and strengths. Barron knows how to promote his program in Maine and excels with community engagement.

I think we all agree this would be a win/win for both the Men's and Women's programs. But I also at this point have no idea if this is a pipe dream or something that is actually being considered ;)

We'll find out in about a month from now.... ;)
mainejeff

Postby Linguist » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:21 am

Well, now Amy Vachon has coached the Bears to 20 wins and the outright league regular season title and the #1 seed in the America East tournament and at worst a slot in the Women's NIT.

There is no way the administration can truly ask her to slide back in to her role as assistant coach.

So does Vachon leave or does Barron leave the women's basketball program?
Linguist

Postby mikegormanfan » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:56 am

Vachon stays with women, Barron takes over the men.
Two great coaches.

It's not complicated.
mikegormanfan

Postby mainejeff » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:50 am

mikegormanfan wrote:Vachon stays with women, Barron takes over the men.
Two great coaches.

It's not complicated.

It's really not. This has been in the works for some time.
mainejeff

Postby alumni1985 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:39 am

mainejeff wrote:
mikegormanfan wrote:Vachon stays with women, Barron takes over the men.
Two great coaches.

It's not complicated.

It's really not. This has been in the works for some time.

Actually in the works, or just hope and speculation?
alumni1985

Postby duke11 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:48 pm

As much as we would all like to see it happen, Division 1 basketball is all about recruiting. All of Barron’s contacts are on the women’s side and that is a huge obstacle to overcome. He has been offered jobs recently and is gaining interest from a Big 12 program. If he coaches again, it will be on the women’s side.
Amy has done an outstanding job(keep in mind it’s not her roster). She doesn’t really enjoy all the recruiting travel and might just enjoy being the associate head coach.
duke11

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics