Can Someone Explain This To Me?

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Can Someone Explain This To Me?

Postby thebam » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:23 am

bcbc55 wrote:So there now you know one of the other of biggest of the several reasons why I refer to watch the games on line.

1. So media pass which I was wrong about
2. Cataracts
3. Cold and Snow weather
4. My age

So if they hire a coach of your choosing, these 4 things just go away and you will got to a game? That is the exact thing that just makes these somewhat lame excuses. You refuse to go across town , I gladly go across country. It's all about wether you support the PROGRAM unconditionally, or you don't. Cut... Dry... Not really complicated.
thebam

Postby dunbar » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:33 am

bcbc55 wrote:Guys: I'm an old school Mainer and when they get a Coach from Maine like Skip Chappelle who will stay and recruit Maine kids like Skip did and be successful with 10 winning seasons out of 17 the best if any Maine coach since 1949 then I will make the venture out to watch Maine play. Until then I am just going to watch the UMaine Non-Mainers Teams and coaches on line. Although when the weather is good in October I wil probably take in the exhibition games at the CIC and "The Pit".

This just confirms that you just want the program to lose.
dunbar

Postby mainejeff » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:03 am

Barron is going to come in & turn this program around. I predict that he will win 15 games in 2018-2019. You heard it here first!
mainejeff

Postby basketball_guy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:27 pm

They will do a National Coaching Search. Barron may get it.

But I would prefer to see this guy get it.

http://georgiabasketballblog.com/philip ... ead-coach/
basketball_guy

Postby fafan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:32 pm

basketball_guy wrote:They will do a National Coaching Search. Barron may get it.

But I would prefer to see this guy get it.

http://georgiabasketballblog.com/philip ... ead-coach/

Why would they need to do a national search if you have a qualified person in house? I don't remember a national search when Coach H was hired as the football coach.

Seems like this Coach has really strong ties to the south wonder how he would handle Bangor, Maine? But hey anything is possible!!!
fafan

Postby turkeyman » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:28 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if UMaine regulations require the department to go through a "national search," but I know there are ways around that. And they may have used some of those ways when the hired Harasymiak so quickly.

Here is another possibility. Walsh leaves. Search committees usually have leeway to write job requirements, so the committee or someone else could just write out the requirement for head-coaching experience. Then, UMaine goes on a national search and offers the job to Bob Simon or a top assistant somewhere else.

By that time, Karlton Creech -- he's been here four years -- may be looking to get back to one of the Carolina schools or at least somewhere warmer. So, there is an opening for Barron to be named athletic director. In whatever capacity, Richard Barron can only be a positive for the University of Maine.

Win, win, win. New men's coach -- hope springs eternal, as it did four years ago when Bob Walsh came in -- with newly installed permanent women's coach Amy Vachon and with a new AD who knows Maine extremely well and who has already been accepted widely in the state and, especially, in the athletic community.

Thanks, MJ, for offering up this bright piece of speculation. We can hope, can't we?

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:45 am

I know Phillip personally. He was a walk on at Alabama as I was after I left the University of Maine when they dropped the JV program. I am a native Mainer and Phillip is a native Alabamian but they don't get any better than Phillip Pearson. It would be a solid move for Maine just as Barron was when they decided to bring him in from North Carolina. Pearson also has solid recruiting and SEC conference coaching experience. The thing is Maine has gotten some solid players over the past four years. 11 transferred out. They just need a solid Bench Coach. Hopefully someone with a stronger acumen toward winning and losing. Maine has been so close this season in a number of games but they have got to get a Coach who gets them over this losing hurdle into a winning tradition. There is no
excuse for all this losing at the flagship University for the State of Maine. We can do better.

I am kind of wondering about Bob Simon as well. I just don't think if they decide to get another Coach that they will keep anyone from the former regime. Just thinking out load but it does seem to me he would be a heck of a choice as well. I would not mind seeing him as Coach.

But yes I agree with you Spring can not get here soon enough. It does seem to me that Barron would be an excellent choice for AD as well if that opportunity does present itself. Perhaps that was why Creech appointed him
as Senior Associate Athletic director.
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:36 pm

basketball_guy wrote:I know Phillip personally. He was a walk on at Alabama as I was after I left the University of Maine when they dropped the JV program. I am a native Mainer and Phillip is a native Alabamian but they don't get any better than Phillip Pearson. It would be a solid move for Maine just as Barron was when they decided to bring him in from North Carolina. Pearson also has solid recruiting and SEC conference coaching experience. The thing is Maine has gotten some solid players over the past four years. 11 transferred out. They just need a solid Bench Coach. Hopefully someone with a stronger acumen toward winning and losing. Maine has been so close this season in a number of games but they have got to get a Coach who gets them over this losing hurdle into a winning tradition. There is no
excuse for all this losing at the flagship University for the State of Maine. We can do better.

I am kind of wondering about Bob Simon as well. I just don't think if they decide to get another Coach that they will keep anyone from the former regime. Just thinking out load but it does seem to me he would be a heck of a choice as well. I would not mind seeing him as Coach.

But yes I agree with you Spring can not get here soon enough. It does seem to me that Barron would be an excellent choice for AD as well if that opportunity does present itself. Perhaps that was why Creech appointed him
as Senior Associate Athletic director.

basketball_guy: You are right. Whoever gets the head job it would be a very smart idea to keep Bob Simon on as an assistant as he has only been here a season so he is not a solid member of the current regime and from the looks of things he didn't have much input or if he did he was not listened too.

I'd keep him if it was me because he knows the players, the AE conference now and the program and just the fact that he is the most experienced and qualified assistant men's basketball coach the Maine program has ever had would be enough for me.

As nothing has changed over the 3 plus years under this coaching regime doing the same things over and over and over again and not getting any different results.
bcbc55

Postby umaine67 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:04 pm

Haven't looked at the board in a while, but had to comment on this from bcbc55:
"However, this also could possibily be a "your side, my side" situation as umaine67 is unidentified as is his sources and mine and that is the way it is going to stay on my side of this story..unidentified, but very creditable.

However, I possibly could have misunderstood or misinterpreted also.

Seeing that I am the only person named by his real name here on this MBR thread in this situation, if what umaine67 posted is true and I have no reason to believe it isn't even if it was from unnamed sources."

Why does anyone have to reveal his/her identity here, except for vanity?
This is most definitely NOT a "your side, my side" situation. I contacted both our school's public relations office and the sports information office about Mr. C's claim that he was denied a media credential. Both offices confirmed that neither Mr. C, nor anyone on his behalf, ever requested media access for him.
There is no misunderstanding or misinterpretation about that.
umaine67

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:59 pm

umaine67 wrote:Haven't looked at the board in a while, but had to comment on this from bcbc55:
"However, this also could possibily be a "your side, my side" situation as umaine67 is unidentified as is his sources and mine and that is the way it is going to stay on my side of this story..unidentified, but very creditable.

However, I possibly could have misunderstood or misinterpreted also.

Seeing that I am the only person named by his real name here on this MBR thread in this situation, if what umaine67 posted is true and I have no reason to believe it isn't even if it was from unnamed sources."

Why does anyone have to reveal his/her identity here, except for vanity?
This is most definitely NOT a "your side, my side" situation. I contacted both our school's public relations office and the sports information office about Mr. C's claim that he was denied a media credential. Both offices confirmed that neither Mr. C, nor anyone on his behalf, ever requested media access for him.
There is no misunderstanding or misinterpretation about that.

maine67: I posted here on MBR and admitted I was wrong and that there was a misunderstanding on my part and I apologized here on MBR to all involved that my information was not accurate.

You are correct. Not a your side, my side situation.
bcbc55

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics