Westbrook Falmouth 27-25

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: Westbrook Falmouth 27-25

Postby reffanfan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:33 pm

Reffanfan says—1990. Bapst class c what? Not sure how that is relevant to the the 27-25 score. 1990 flock of seagulls were good too, I think. The game was a horror show as is flock of seagulls today. 1990, what are you guys taking for meds to remember that long ago? Just put the shot clock in and we will see how good these coaches are...and as someone posted—-Falmouth has been a factory for years. You need to coach but the Past 15 years, nothing but studs.

Reffan—please for this time only, lower yourself to my level and give me a quick answer on the why we have no shot clock?
reffanfan

Postby reffan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:54 pm

Reffan watching Hannity.....will post tomorrow

Reffan watching Hannity.....will post tomorrow
reffan

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:32 pm

oscar wrote:Falmouth // Halligan

"Oscar" You are correct. Thank you for answering the 2 questions correctly. Interesting that Falmouth fans and basketball fans in general didn't like the slow patient ball control offense 28 years ago and still don't like it today.

But the game is not for the fans entertainment. IT IS SUPPOSED TO 'TEACH THE LIFE LESSONS THAT CANNOT BE TAUGHT OR LEARNED IN THE HIGH SCHOOL'S ACADEMIC CLASSROOMS".

The only reason I ever went into high school basketball coaching after playing in (elementary school, junior high school, high school, college and semi-pro basketball) for 29 years in high school, 3 years at the middle school level and 1 year at the freshmen level was "TO TEACH THE LIFE LESSONS THAT CANNOT BE TAUGHT OR LEARNED IN THE HIGH SCHOOL's ACADEMIC CLASSROOMS".

I used these slow, patient, ball control continuity offensive philosophy for all of the 33 years I coached at each level. The pace that we played at was determined by the talent we had available. Some years we went at a different increased tempo when we had good talent versus to real slow when we were very non-athletic teams. The speed of the tempo was different each of the 33 years, but it was great to "Teach the life Lessons" that I wanted the players to learn from the game.

The biggest "Life Lesson" it taught was to do something you might not like or want to do" but for the good of the whole they learned and appreciated doing it. It is a life lesson that we all need to learn as in life there are many times we are going to have to do things we don't want or like to do but we have to do them in order to be successful.

Playing this way, teaches this "Life Lesson" a lot better then today's or even back in my time of coaching from 1960 to 1977 and from 1984 to 2000 then letting players play the popular "run and gun and have some fun" and "live by the 3 and die by the 3 offenses" of today.

Besides in the 29 years of using this system to varying degrees at the high school level it produced 2 undefeated 22-0 Class B state championships, 3 Class C State Championships, 1 State B runner up, 6 Eastern Maine Championships, 6 Eastern Maine runnersup and 12 Eastern Maine Final appearances and made the tournament 26 of the 29 years and the 3 years it didn't make the tournaments it finished 9th the lowest it ever finished in the heal points.

As far as the players reacting or reactions to playing this way all I can say is that the system produced on an average of 1 plus coach per season that went into high school coaching and many carried on the same philosophy in their coaching careers and many were very successful at both the high school and college levels.

I realize that it can be "Different basketball philosophy strokes for different basketball folks" or" what floats some basketball people's basketball philosophy may not float my basketball philosophy basketball boat".

I wanted to teach "life lessons" and the best way for me to do it in basketball coaching was using the slow, patient, disciplined ball control continuity offenses depending on how or what speed of slowness we played at was determined by the basketball and athletic talent we had available each and every season and no 2 seasons were ever the same.

I always believed that we many times proved that "a very good fast athletic team cannot make a very good slow non-athletic team go fast, but a a very good non-athletic team can make a very good fast athletic team go slow".

Ask the 1990 very fast and athletic Falmouth team!!!!!!!
bcbc55

Postby HoopHopeful » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:05 am

I'm not a big fan of teaching players how to move from point a to point b like robots in a continuity and or set offense. If you develop players skills, teach them how to create offense, and not run an offense, you can allow them to make decisions real time and take what a defense gives them. If you're in a community for that many years there is no reason, in my opinion, that you can't develop kids skills.

I disagree on some of what you've posted, we are talking about high school players and helping them to make decisions on their own. I would much rather teach them how to read a defender and use their skills to create their offense then to hope my continuity offense will work when defense changes. The game should be entertaining for them and the fans. Again, I go back to this being more about the kids/community and less about just winning games.

If kids have the appropriate skills taught to them at the youth level they will be far more successful at the high school level. The need for having them run a "set" a to b offense should not be necessary.

I never had an offense for any of the youth teams I've coached. In fact, I don't even recall having an out of bounds play.
HoopHopeful

Postby reffan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:16 am

Ok.....reffanfan......what are reffan's feelings on a shot clock?

2018 and time for basketball in Maine to get out of the 1960's......

Shot clock would stop these 27-25 games....will it stop bad basketball...nope.....but it will at least be bad basketball at a better pace!

there will be an expense, that is for sure.....but the game needs the shot clock.

oh and by the way....a real good friend of the reffan went into Bruno's last night and saw Coach Halligan but no Hilton......could this be a sign of a pending "divorce" Henry could have been on a date....but odds are against that....
reffan

Postby SportsGuy27 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:23 am

I saw Halligan and Hilton sharing 1 milkshake with 2 straws at Bruno's last night after the game... all this talk of a divorce is #FakeNews
SportsGuy27

Postby ExpoEddie » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:03 pm

Henry is actually Jamie Hilton and often is known just as Hilt. Hilt has covered as varsity coach many times over the years for health, personal or Dave getting a national soccer award. Dave values Hilt and Todd Whitcomb in soccer as trusted advisors and friends. All three I consider friends and Hilt was only teacher my daughters invited to their graduation parties. They remain friends as I with the Hilt. There is zero issues with these two guys. Dave has been "reviewed" at times during his years in Falmouth. He always prevails and wins another State title. We scrimmaged Dave pre-season and he said he knew his team could not score.

It takes two to Tango. Coach Russo said he thought Dave getting 9 wins was a testament to him as a coach after losing top three players. By the way, Hall of Fame Coach Russo did this with SP a few years back. Russo wanted Conley out of his zone and play man. That OT game totaled about same # of points as Russo held the ball and it was like 4-1 at the half. I had a coach from Marshwood do it to me at Expo. I said after I respected his right to do it. But personally I would never coach a game like that. Not letting kids run the floor at the Expo is not in my DNA.
ExpoEddie

Postby reffanfan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:35 pm

there is probably a place and time for a slowdown. outgunned, playoff time? sure, why not.

glad your coach had so much confidence in the team preseason. I am guessing the boys have figured that out by now.

Reffan--I hold you at the highest, highest of high...you are truly the straw that stirs the "drink" (couldn't be vulgar).
when it comes to Hilt. You just don't know him well enough. he was on a date. she is a cardiologist. she put him on a strict no milkshake diet.

those two are fine and someday Hilt will get a shot.
reffanfan

Postby reffanfan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:37 pm

and reffan---no real philosophy from the MPA on not having a shot clock? seems odd at best. thanks!
reffanfan

Postby reffan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:38 pm

lol

reffan apologizes if the pending divorce is fake news. Reffan's source is a big Falmouth fan and he swears that there have been major friction with the coaches in the locker room.....but if Expo Eddie says it is not true....reffan will side with Eddie.....

and the Falmouth fan said Hilton's first name is Henry.....Expo...you sure it is Jamie???

and sportsguy27......even couples who are going through a divorce meet at a bar to finalize the "split".....
Maybe Henry was asking for a recommendation???

reffan has a feeling this story is a bit "fishy".....reffan will do a little more research...

I am Ron Borges
reffan

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur