Skowhegans Jon Bell commits to UMaine

post info & talk all things Football...

Skowhegans Jon Bell commits to UMaine

Postby NEfan1321 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:12 am

NEfan1321

Re: Skowhegans Jon Bell commits to UMaine

Postby BrowardHandicapper » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:44 pm

Enjoyed the highlights. Seems like he fits that "ATH" position mold well with great versatility.... I think he may need to work on a little more speed for pass coverage at D1, but I can see him on special teams and perhaps picking up some nice YAC in the slot, trips, or a quick slant route - seems to have good hands and deceivingly shifty (yet instinctively follows blocks well and not scared of contact).

BOL to they the young man playing for the Black Bears!
BrowardHandicapper

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:52 am

Area athletes decide on college plans
Skowhegan receiver Jon Bell commits to Maine; Emily Grandahl to sign with Merrimack soccer.
https://www.centralmaine.com/2018/02/07 ... ege-plans/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:47 am

Skowhegan’s Bell plans to join UMaine football program

Jon Bell, a wide receiver and defensive back who helped Skowhegan Area High School capture the 2017 Class B North championship, will join the University of Maine football program as a preferred walk-on next summer.

That designation essentially means Bell is guaranteed a spot on the roster despite the fact he will not receive an athletic scholarship.

http://bangordailynews.com/2018/02/08/s ... l-program/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tomahawk86 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:54 pm

This is completely subjective, but I don't ever see Jon Bell contributing at Umaine. He doesn't have the size to play there. He is a Julian Edelman/Danny Amendola type player, but not sure he is even a top 20 playmaker in the state. Best of luck to him. Just not sure he can play at that level without serious work in and out of the weight room. Maybe Husson would be a better fit and he could play on Sophomore year forward.
Tomahawk86

Postby footballphan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:33 am

Jon Bell is absolutely one of the top 20 playmakers in the state. I'm not saying he's going to start at Maine, but that kid can fly and he's pretty strong for his size.
footballphan

Postby Tackletrap » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:13 pm

I will say, I am a tad bit confused. No doubt Bell is very talented. However I had thought U Maine was Division 1 AA, and what is a preferred walk on exactly ? Does this involve scholarship money, and do preferred walk ons need to sign letters of intent ?
Tackletrap

Postby Tackletrap » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:15 pm

I do hope he catches on and makes an impact. It is great to see homegrown kids play at UMaine.
Tackletrap

Postby NEfan1321 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:49 am

Tackletrap wrote:I will say, I am a tad bit confused. No doubt Bell is very talented. However I had thought U Maine was Division 1 AA, and what is a preferred walk on exactly ? Does this involve scholarship money, and do preferred walk ons need to sign letters of intent ?

here is what i have found: the clear difference between a preferred walk-on versus someone who simply walks-on is that the preferred means he is guaranteed a spot on the 105 man roster day one of camp, while other walk-ons will have to go through tryouts to see if they can earn a spot on the roster.
there is no scholarship money involved but the athlete will have the opportunity to work for a scholarship for upcoming years. I do believe they have to sign some form of letter, but its not the same as a scholarship athlete signing a NLI.
I would have to disagree with Tomahawk86, if you have seen Bell play he is absolutely a top playmaker in the state, when he gets the ball in his hands he is electric and makes things happen. Will he need to put in a lot of time training in the weight room, of course, but if as you say he is an edelman/amendola type player, well they sure do make it work and who is to say he cant? only time and hard work will tell, nice to see Maine giving him a chance, they obviously see something they like.
NEfan1321

Postby Rams1998 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:58 pm

Post by Tackletrap » 15 Feb 2018 00:13

I will say, I am a tad bit confused. No doubt Bell is very talented. However I had thought U Maine was Division 1 AA, and what is a preferred walk on exactly ? Does this involve scholarship money, and do preferred walk ons need to sign letters of intent ?

Preferred walk on: We'd love to have you, but not enough to give you any athletic money. Bell will have a roster spot, but UM will not invest a dime in him, athletically. PWOs do not need to sign NLI, but many do in order to "feel" something (true at lower levels as well - love all the kids tweeting about d3 "offers").

IMO, a mistake on Bell's part. He is a fantastic player, but he just isn't a D1 kid. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT! We all love underdog stories, and he may very well earn a scholarship, but he could be a terrific D3 or maybe D2 player, instead of being a tackling dummy for at least a year or two.
Rams1998

Next

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur