Can Someone Explain This To Me?

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Can Someone Explain This To Me?

Postby mainejeff » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:09 am

thebam wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:

I will not pay to see them play a game in person.

You live in or near Bangor. I live in Oklahoma. I have been to more Men's games than you. Good , bad or horrible I support the programs at Maine. All of them. To be so stubborn as to not go and support them is disappointing. I realized, based on attendance that there are others too, but I don't think you really have an excuse to not go. You want to provide game recaps and analysis, and that is awesome, however your opinion loses luster if you aren't actually at the games. By your own admission here, you missed out on a lot by watching on a computer and not in person. Come on Coach.. be better.

++++

Even if he is not a "fan" of the program...Cim owes it to his reader to attend at least some of the games. Sad thing is that he is probably the most knowledgable person at the BDN when it comes to basketball & UM hoops. This is a key moment for this program and it would be nice to have in-depth analysis & opinion based on reality and not antiquated talking points and cherry picked stats to support a loopy agenda.
mainejeff

Postby Linguist » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:02 pm

mainejeff wrote:
thebam wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:

I will not pay to see them play a game in person.

You live in or near Bangor. I live in Oklahoma. I have been to more Men's games than you. Good , bad or horrible I support the programs at Maine. All of them. To be so stubborn as to not go and support them is disappointing. I realized, based on attendance that there are others too, but I don't think you really have an excuse to not go. You want to provide game recaps and analysis, and that is awesome, however your opinion loses luster if you aren't actually at the games. By your own admission here, you missed out on a lot by watching on a computer and not in person. Come on Coach.. be better.

++++

Even if he is not a "fan" of the program...Cim owes it to his reader to attend at least some of the games. Sad thing is that he is probably the most knowledgable person at the BDN when it comes to basketball & UM hoops. This is a key moment for this program and it would be nice to have in-depth analysis & opinion based on reality and not antiquated talking points and cherry picked stats to support a loopy agenda.

Wait, what? BCBC55, doesn't go to any games? Ever?

How hard would it be for you to call the UMaine Basketball office, or Athletic Director's office and say "Hi my name is....., I write a blog for the Bangor Daily News covering basketball on the college and high school level, and I post those blogs on the MBR.org site as well. In an effort to give the most attention possible to your programs would it be possible for me to get a media pass for the men's and women's basketball teams?"

At that point, the answer will be yes, and your excuse of not paying to get into a game is gone. I am sure UMaine can spot you a media pass. Hell call the BDN and ask for their pass for the basketball season, it appears to go unused most nights.

How are you using cost of attendance to complain about not going?
Linguist

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:53 pm

Guys: I had the BDN try to get me a pass this year and was refused so am not going to ask for one for myself or have anybody else do it for me. See all need and want to see right on line so I don't miss anything game wise for my posts as far as what little strategy is being used except being in a near empty CIC.

I am so used to watching tapes of games when I was coaching I got used to seeing more games on film then in person when coaching. We didn't even scout in person if we had films of opponents. So I am not going to pay to watch the Maine men play as they do the same things over and over again expecting different results.

I can stop writing up the games if that will make everyone happy here on MBR and post something else about UMaine basketball. Yeah, I think I will do that and then you people won't then think I have to go games to write up games.

Besides it is easier to just turn the computer off then it is to leave the CIC and get into a cold vehicle at my age when I have seen enough of the same old things done over and over again.

Thanks but no thanks but when I couldn't get a pass through the BDN that really soured me on attending games in person as Maine must have asked who the pass was for and they must think I am so anti-Maine that I should have to pay to get in.

My only connection with Maine other than being interested in their basketball programs is I got my Masters Degree in Education there in the mid 70's.

I wouldn't go to a Maine game now even if they offered me a free pass.

Thanks for the suggestions, but no thanks.
bcbc55

Postby mainejeff » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:02 pm

#Sad.
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:32 pm

mainejeff wrote:#Sad.

MJ: You'll get sad and want to do things easier when you get to be my age. It is a lot easier to stay home not have to warm up my truck, just turn on the computer and watch the Maine games on line and then turn it off when it's over or when I have had enough and not have to go out to a cold car thru cold weather. You will see "Sad but true"

The only games I go to in person now are the Bangor High home games and yes I have a pass for those games. Only high school games I watch are streamed and they are on almost every night. Like tonight Old Town boys @ MDI Boys is being streamed. A lot easier to stay home and watch it the fight the elements, big crowd and be home the instant the game is over.

If Maine used Maine high school players and had a Maine coach and they played men's and women's doubleheaders in AE play then I might consider going to the actual game, I said might.
bcbc55

Postby Linguist » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:17 am

bcbc55,

At least you attempted to get a media pass. I wonder if it was denied by the BDN or by UMaine. But I will give you credit for that.
Linguist

Postby turkeyman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:15 pm

Basketball is one of only two games I can think of right off the top of my head in which you can see all the action, all the players and all the playing surface at the same time while you are there. You can see some and sometimes much of the basketball action on TV, but seldom all of it.

Football has redesigned the game for television. The live camera may not show you Nate Solder making a key block, but one of the dozens of replay cameras likely picked it up so you at least get to see it that way. If you are in the stands, the size of the field and the number of people on the field may make it difficult to pick out that key block while it is happening. Baseball's field configuration make it impossible for a fan in the stands to see everything at once -- we sat in the owner's box, 30 feet behind home plate, at KC Royals games because my wife worked for the team, and even then we couldn't see everything at once -- so watching it on TV makes sense, though the atmosphere at a baseball game is almost always a terrific experience. Hockey comes close to basketball in visibility, but the size and color of the puck still make it difficult to watch, in person or on TV. That's part of why in five years living in Montreal, I never saw Canadiens play in the Forum.

But with basketball, you can see everything. My seats are in the ninth row, and I can easily watch both ends of a steal-and-breakaway play. While Tanesha or Blanca is streaking down the floor after intercepting a pass, I can also see if the kid who got intercepted just gave up or gave chase, I can see if KJ or Parise or Julie is trailing the play, I can see how everybody behind the play responded. Can't do that on TV.

And when you do miss part of a play, someone sitting nearby can always tell you what s/he saw. Can't ask the screen what happened that you didn't notice.

bcbc, you wrote earlier on this thread, "The trouble with watching online steamed games, you miss out on things like you described." Elsewhere on this thread, you wrote, "See all I need and want to see right on line so I don't miss anything game wise for my posts as far as what little strategy is being used except being in a near empty CIC."

Sorry, Cim, you can't have it both ways. Either TV is just as good or it isn't. For my money, it isn't. I don't believe I have ever commented on a game I didn't see in person. In fact, I won't watch UMaine on TV because the experience lacks so much. I do watch some D3 games online, but only when driving to Waterville, Gorham, Brunswick or Lewiston isn't advisable (as it wouldn't be were there any games scheduled during this storm tonight). I never feel after watching a game online that I really saw the entire game. Just what the camera happened to catch.

Age does slow us down, as Cim has pointed out. But it only stops us once, and my time hasn't come yet. I'll be at the CIC tomorrow night for UNH, weather or no, and I'll leave there to drive down to Stony Brook for the game on Sunday. If Bam can attend UMaine men's games when the Black Bears head west or south, I would think anyone else who is going to comment on them would at least drive across Bangor to watch them play.

There is also the factor of supporting your team with a few of your bucks. I pay for a concert. I pay to enter an art museum. I pay to attend games. Some of those few bucks come back to the creators, players (in the form of scholarships), coaches, managers and program and help ensure that the musician, artist, player, coach will be able to continue putting her work out there for me to see.

When it is so easy to see everything in a basketball game if you are in the building, it seems a shame not to attend as many games as possible.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:03 pm

turkeyman wrote:Basketball is one of only two games I can think of right off the top of my head in which you can see all the action, all the players and all the playing surface at the same time while you are there. You can see some and sometimes much of the basketball action on TV, but seldom all of it.

Football has redesigned the game for television. The live camera may not show you Nate Solder making a key block, but one of the dozens of replay cameras likely picked it up so you at least get to see it that way. If you are in the stands, the size of the field and the number of people on the field may make it difficult to pick out that key block while it is happening. Baseball's field configuration make it impossible for a fan in the stands to see everything at once -- we sat in the owner's box, 30 feet behind home plate, at KC Royals games because my wife worked for the team, and even then we couldn't see everything at once -- so watching it on TV makes sense, though the atmosphere at a baseball game is almost always a terrific experience. Hockey comes close to basketball in visibility, but the size and color of the puck still make it difficult to watch, in person or on TV. That's part of why in five years living in Montreal, I never saw Canadiens play in the Forum.

But with basketball, you can see everything. My seats are in the ninth row, and I can easily watch both ends of a steal-and-breakaway play. While Tanesha or Blanca is streaking down the floor after intercepting a pass, I can also see if the kid who got intercepted just gave up or gave chase, I can see if KJ or Parise or Julie is trailing the play, I can see how everybody behind the play responded. Can't do that on TV.

And when you do miss part of a play, someone sitting nearby can always tell you what s/he saw. Can't ask the screen what happened that you didn't notice.

bcbc, you wrote earlier on this thread, "The trouble with watching online steamed games, you miss out on things like you described." Elsewhere on this thread, you wrote, "See all I need and want to see right on line so I don't miss anything game wise for my posts as far as what little strategy is being used except being in a near empty CIC."

Sorry, Cim, you can't have it both ways. Either TV is just as good or it isn't. For my money, it isn't. I don't believe I have ever commented on a game I didn't see in person. In fact, I won't watch UMaine on TV because the experience lacks so much. I do watch some D3 games online, but only when driving to Waterville, Gorham, Brunswick or Lewiston isn't advisable (as it wouldn't be were there any games scheduled during this storm tonight). I never feel after watching a game online that I really saw the entire game. Just what the camera happened to catch.

Age does slow us down, as Cim has pointed out. But it only stops us once, and my time hasn't come yet. I'll be at the CIC tomorrow night for UNH, weather or no, and I'll leave there to drive down to Stony Brook for the game on Sunday. If Bam can attend UMaine men's games when the Black Bears head west or south, I would think anyone else who is going to comment on them would at least drive across Bangor to watch them play.

There is also the factor of supporting your team with a few of your bucks. I pay for a concert. I pay to enter an art museum. I pay to attend games. Some of those few bucks come back to the creators, players (in the form of scholarships), coaches, managers and program and help ensure that the musician, artist, player, coach will be able to continue putting her work out there for me to see.

When it is so easy to see everything in a basketball game if you are in the building, it seems a shame not to attend as many games as possible.

Bob Neal
New Sharon

Bob: Another excellent, informative, interesting relevant, informative and timely post per usual from you

Bob.

I have watched so many basketball games on the screens, movie, computer, video, etc, when I was coaching all those years I have gotten quite adapt at seeing all that I need or want to see to evaluate a game on a screen.

Especially, now that I can run the game from my computer to my large screen TV.

Actually I see more of the game at home then I did when I was on the floor as an official as I only was supposed to watch my PCA (Primary Coverage Area)

At my age it is just easier in the winter time to stay home. The only games I have gone to in person this year is Bangor high school home games (have a pass for those games as a former coach and AD there) and the Maine-Husson, Maine-St. Josephs's exhibition games when the weather was better in October.

I see all I need to see to understand what is going on watching the screen. Also, not really to able to relate to a team like the Maine men that have only 1 scholarship player on the roster out of 13 scholarships also with no Maine person on the coaching staff.

Only thing I don't see is what is happening on the sidelines as the coverage of the camera crews get better with each game they do, to bad the basketball teams at Maine or the high school teams I watch don't get better like the camera crews that bring me the games.

I would venture to say that I have watched and seen more basketball in my 73 years being involved with the game as a player, coach, official, Radio/TV color commentator and writer then any one here on MBR is criticizing me(no offense intended) for not attending Maine games in person.

I have only been associated with UMaine was when
1. I got certified in Physical Education (took one year) right after I graduated from Husson,
2.then got my masters Degree there in 1975,
3.when I reffed some UMaine men and women's games at the PIT in the 70'-80's when there were Maine coaches for both teams and mostly Maine players on both teams roster playing and quite successfully I might add.
4. Oops, almost forgot I was asked to transfer to Maine after my sophomore at Husson to play basketball for the the D-1 Bears.

Also, I have spent my entire profession(s) in a gym and am just tired of them. I enjoy being home with my wife and cat much more now as I am retired and can do exactly what I want to do like watching all basketball on a screen on a very comfortable sofa with my legs up. Except for Bangor High home Games during the regular season.

Those are my only Maine connections.

Like I have said before the basketball is so poor at all levels today in Maine that I am not going to pay to watch it when I can see all I want to see of it on the screens.

IN FACT. I wouldn't go today even if I was paid to go the rest of this season from because of what I have seen so far this year at both the high school and college levels this year and the cold Maine winter of ice, snow and
sleet have to deal with.

P.S. I also missed things when I have been at games in person, I did when I was playing, coaching, officiating and doing Radio/TV color commentating.

I have seen so much basketball over the years I don't care about basketball atmosphere or being in the gym or facility where the game is being played. Been there, done that, enough is enough.

Don't need that at my age especially when I have to face the cold winters of Maine vs. my warm home to watch basketball.

Yes, You can see more at the game, but the lesser of the two ways to watch game for me is staying home, warm and comfortable

It's just a case of "Different basketball watching strokes for different basketball watching folks" or "What floats others basketball watching boat doesn't float my basketball watching boat".

To each his own.
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:04 pm

I only got to see one game in person this year.

But to be honest after that game I decided it would be better to wait for a Coaching change....heres to next season...as far as I am concerned four years of this Coach is enough....
basketball_guy

Postby umaine67 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:22 am

I happen to work at the university and have been reading this blog for many months.
I just wanted to post something in response to a post made by Mr. Cimbollek, to set the record straight.
This is in response to the poster's contention that he has been denied a press/media pass to our basketball games.
Within the last few days I contacted our school's sports information/public relations office to inquire about Mr. Cimbollek being denied media access to our basketball games.
As someone who is affiliated with a newspaper, a legitimate local media outlet, no individual should be denied the same access as any other member of the media, regardless of one's opinions within a blog or in print.
To do so would be detrimental, a sign that our sports information office would be attempting to control the news flow related to our sports programs to prohibit any negative commentary.

Lo and behold, I was told that Mr. Cimbollek has NOT been denied a media credential, that neither he nor the Bangor Daily News, ever requested one for him.
I was further told that he is eligible for full media rights, the same as allowed for any member of
a media/newspaper/radio/tv outlet. All he needs to do is to request one, whether with a phone call or through a written request that could be sent to or faxed to the sports information office. Should he, or the Bangor Daily News do so, Mr. Cimbollek would immediately be granted full media access to any of our school's sporting events.
There is no animosity towards Mr. Cimbollek meant. But, the intent here is to let those in this forum know that the sports information office at our school has not denied him standard media access.
Many thanks for understanding.
umaine67

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics