Can Someone Explain This To Me?

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Can Someone Explain This To Me?

Postby Linguist » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:54 am

Sitting at the UMaine men's game Saturday, I couldn't help but notice Vernon Lowndes Junior didn't play a minute.

10 players went in to the game and only Lowndes and Garvey Melmed didn't play. I understand why Melmed stayed on the bench, but I am baffled as to why Lowndes did too.

He has played in 22 of the Bears 24 games this year, so this is only his second DNP. He's started 6 games. The previous 5 games before this he's played double figure minutes, including 24 in the game against UNH when he had 15 points.

He is their 5th leading scorer per game this season, and 5th leading rebounder.

Why did Walsh decide to bury this kid in the doghouse Saturday?

Any explanation?
Linguist

Re: Can Someone Explain This To Me?

Postby mainejeff » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:01 am

I can't imagine why players transfer from this program.... :roll:
mainejeff

Postby imposter » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:51 am

"we're talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about practice."
imposter

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:42 pm

Linguist wrote:Sitting at the UMaine men's game Saturday, I couldn't help but notice Vernon Lowndes Junior didn't play a minute.

10 players went in to the game and only Lowndes and Garvey Melmed didn't play. I understand why Melmed stayed on the bench, but I am baffled as to why Lowndes did too.

He has played in 22 of the Bears 24 games this year, so this is only his second DNP. He's started 6 games. The previous 5 games before this he's played double figure minutes, including 24 in the game against UNH when he had 15 points.

He is their 5th leading scorer per game this season, and 5th leading rebounder.

Why did Walsh decide to bury this kid in the doghouse Saturday?

Any explanation?

L: Was he in uniform?
Was he is street clothes?
Is he injured?
Is he in doghouse somehow?

I noticed he didn't play but thought he might have been injured like Ilker Er was when he missed a game or two recently but was in uniform?

Who knows on the outside, they try to keep most everything close to the vest unless asked.
bcbc55

Postby Blind Zebra » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:14 pm

He was suited up but moving very slowly through warm ups. My best guess would be he missed time during the practice week because of illness or a minor injury and Coach decided he was not ready to play.
Blind Zebra

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:24 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:He was suited up but moving very slowly through warm ups. My best guess would be he missed time during the practice week because of illness or a minor injury and Coach decided he was not ready to play.

BZ: Thanks for answering that. That is the trouble with watching online steamed games, you miss out on things like you described.

They are doing the same things over and over and over again (except reducing 3 point attempts last 4 games) expecting different results so I will not pay to see them play a game in person.

The only thing that they have changed is that they have reduced the number of 3 point FGA's from averaging 25 a game attempted for first 21 games this year) to UNH 19W, UMBC 16L, MML 19L and BIN 19W last four games. 3 point % for first 21 games was 29% and last four games 34.6%. Good improvement. Now if they would only use 7 players double figure minutes like the did 6 only in win over UNH and first half only used 7 in loss to UMBC.

Last 2 1/2 games Walsh is back to being the "Supervisor of Substitutions. Need to play Er and Calixe 35 minutes each, Lowndes, White and Fleming 30 minutes each and two subs Ilija S and Aruajo 20 minutes each. Unless for special ocassions like foul trouble, injury, illness or poor play. Could add Evans to the mix.
bcbc55

Postby aechamps » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:03 pm

Probably the same reason Malcolm Butler didnt play............
aechamps

Postby Linguist » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:16 am

BCBC55,

You suggest playing Ilija about 20 minutes per game, and giving Ilker 35.

What is your justification for that disparity? I suggest you go to a game at some point and watch off the ball once in a while, watch the actions on the bench, in the huddle, as the team returns to the floor.

The only player on the entire team with any emotion, any sense of leadership is Ilija. He is always encouraging his team mates and giving advice and having conversations with them when play is not in session.

He is always talking on the court giving and asking for information on defense about where screens are, and where the help is.

Ilija rebounds and defends, he does the "dirty work".

Ilker on the other hand is basically a little more vocal than a mime, and he has the same movement as that mime trapped in a box. He camps out on the 3 point line and waits for the ball. No way he earns 35 minutes a game.

As for the topic of the thread, I didn't see warm ups and maybe Lowndes Junior was hurt and moving slowly, perhaps that's why he didn't play. It was startling to see him on the bench not even being considered in a game against a longer team like Binghamton.
Linguist

Postby mainejeff » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:58 am

Er is a big time disappointment.
mainejeff

Postby thebam » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:45 am

bcbc55 wrote:

I will not pay to see them play a game in person.

You live in or near Bangor. I live in Oklahoma. I have been to more Men's games than you. Good , bad or horrible I support the programs at Maine. All of them. To be so stubborn as to not go and support them is disappointing. I realized, based on attendance that there are others too, but I don't think you really have an excuse to not go. You want to provide game recaps and analysis, and that is awesome, however your opinion loses luster if you aren't actually at the games. By your own admission here, you missed out on a lot by watching on a computer and not in person. Come on Coach.. be better.
thebam

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics