Phil Conley--Honorary ZOW

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Phil Conley--Honorary ZOW

Postby reffan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:35 am

Reffan tweeted out yesterday afternoon that he stopped into Romeo's in Scarb. on his way home for a beer and a bite to eat and on the special board there was a "PHIL CONLEY CHICKEN SANDWICH" $9.99 with fries

Beat Portland and you get a sandwich named after you!! that is freaking awesome!!

Reffan has always felt that Conley is the most under rated coach in the State! He was great at SP and he is now turning the Redskins into a basketball powerhouse! After getting pounded by the Tiggers on MLK day he somehow turned the team around to shock the undefeated Bulldogs!

Reffan was not at the game (had to work) but heard the fans stormed the court and his players hoisted Conley on their shoulders and carried him around the court to a thunderous applause!

For this...reffan is going to send Coach of the Year Conley an honorary Zebra of the Week bumper sticker!!!

Way to Phil....and btw.....the sandwich was really really good!!!
reffan

Re: Phil Conley--Honorary ZOW

Postby ExpoEddie » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:03 pm

Great post. I emailed Phil after he got screwed in SP. Next to Russo, my favorite coach. It was a great game even with Peter Webb in the stands. The Dogs will move forward and get better. Scarborough did what no one has in a long time, get into the 60's and keep Dog's in the 60's. Bench players for Scarborough provided a great lift as the Dogs got nothing this game except Simon.

Phil too classy, but hope someone sends the game tape to SP school officials, Board, some of his former hack assistants and AD. This win for Phil is not isolated, he had others over PHS while at SP. Hopefully they will not letdown as in the end, it just gets them a ton of Heal Points and a sense they have to show up for every game.
ExpoEddie

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:44 pm

ExpoEddie wrote:Great post. I emailed Phil after he got screwed in SP. Next to Russo, my favorite coach. It was a great game even with Peter Webb in the stands. The Dogs will move forward and get better. Scarborough did what no one has in a long time, get into the 60's and keep Dog's in the 60's. Bench players for Scarborough provided a great lift as the Dogs got nothing this game except Simon.

Phil too classy, but hope someone sends the game tape to SP school officials, Board, some of his former hack assistants and AD. This win for Phil is not isolated, he had others over PHS while at SP. Hopefully they will not letdown as in the end, it just gets them a ton of Heal Points and a sense they have to show up for every game.

reffan: It was basketball "Karma" the game has a way of paying you back for what you do for the good of the game or just for the good of yourself. Basketball has a way of treating you as how you treat the game. KARMA hit South Portland in a round abut way. So.Portland couldn't beat the Bulldogs, but Phil did, talk about great basketball "positive KARMA.

Phil certainly deserves the Ref of the Week ZOW award. I feel honored that Phil has joined me in that award.

Great move Reffan. really great.

CIM
Last edited by bcbc55 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Postby hoops88 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:03 pm

A great win, and definitely a great coach to be able to turn around a team like this, but the negativity toward SP? Weren't they in the State Title game the last two years in a row? They must have done something right too?
hoops88

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:50 pm

hoops88 wrote:A great win, and definitely a great coach to be able to turn around a team like this, but the negativity toward SP? Weren't they in the State Title game the last two years in a row? They must have done something right too?
''

"hoops88": By the way I didn't complain to Tom.

As far as South Portland is concerned I would say the negativity for me towards So. Portland is because of the way that they did not rehire Phil Conley several seasons ago.

I have only had one contact with South Portland over the years and it was a very positive one between South Portland and yours truly.

When the South Portland basketball job opened in the mid 70's when Gene Hunter retired I never considered applying for the job because I was coaching at Bangor.

I was called by a South Portland official that told me that they would like to invite me to come down for an interview. I told them I was not interested.

I was told that they would pay my travel down and a meal for me and my family and I could come at my convenience.

So with that I went down and met with them. After the interview I left knowing there was no physical education teaching position available, told them thank you but no thank. Thanked them for their interest in calling me.

Very next morning at 7:00am I received call from them saying that if I came they would create a physical education job but they did not know where or what level it would be.

I didn't take it because the physical education teaching situation was not settled and I did not want to leave a good physical education teaching situation in Bangor and not know what I was getting into teaching wise in So.Portland.

I was humbled and surprised though that they did ask me to apply and after the interview they offered me the job.

Bangor officials never knew that ever happened. In fact, this is the first time I have ever reveled this publicly seeing it has been about 46 years ago I guess it is OK to do it now.

AS it is now ancient history and there has been a number of coaches at South Portland since then.
bcbc55

Postby reffan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:28 am

reffan agrees Expo Eddie...

Conley is a great coach and he should probably write an article about what he did from Monday (29 point blowout by the Class C Biddeford Tigers) to knocking off the best team in New England!

And to get a sandwich named after you is really cool!

*reffan can only think of one other time that has happened....reffan remembers going to Taco Bell after Portland Football won a State Championship and on the menu was a......Bailey Burrito.....

As far as the SP situation...gotta get over that.....everything happens for a reason......remember the Sound of Music.....Maria says "when a door closes...a window opens"

Everything worked out....SP got Jay Leno (who also is a great coach) and Scarborough got Phil Conley...win/win in reffan's opinion!

**and honestly ...the Phil Conley Chicken Sandwich was excellent!!! going to stop by today....hope it is not just a one time special!
reffan

Postby ExpoEddie » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:01 am

Kevin M. is a wonderful person and has done a rock solid job at SP. Dave Cousins and Brandon are top flight assistants who I call friends. The disrespect they showed Phil was my issue. Beautiful gym to match a great city. Also, before Phil, they did the same thing to Mike G. A real good friend. Irony they both now at Scarborough. Look across the spectrum and there is a case to say from AD and coaches of all sports, Scarborough is stacked. Kudos to them.
ExpoEddie

Postby reffan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:06 am

come on Expo...."Beautiful City"???? yeah...those Oil drums are really attractive.....

City went down hill when they renovated the area across the bridge....reffan now has hard time getting to the Griffin Club!
reffan

Postby hoops88 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:21 pm

Hey easy. I love that whole area, and don't even live there. I just wish Maine didn't charge me $300 to drive up 95 to visit my own State.
hoops88

Postby reffan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:52 pm

lol reffan hears you.....reffan drives for work every day!

biggest bill of the month is the damn transpass!

you are right....SP was always the City of Champions! *remember that sign....
reffan

Next

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur