Nick Mayo

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: Nick Mayo looks to the season, and his hoops future

Postby SoxFan1966 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:38 pm

bcbc55 wrote:
Carl Parker wrote:More athletic than Tyler Hansborough. My belief has been reinforced, Nick will play on the NBA stage.

Coach: And he will be the first Maine high school player to ever play in the NBA.

The only Maine born player was a player named Turner who was born in Bangor, but moved out-of-state before he entered elementary school. I believe he had a 10 year career in the NBA.

Jeff Turner-

https://www.basketball-reference.com/fr ... S&state=ME
SoxFan1966

Postby hoops88 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:05 pm

mario_spaghettio wrote:As far as his NBA prospects go I'm afraid Mayo can't cut the mustard.

I have no idea anymore since I was sure that Taylor Coppenrath from Vermont would play in the NBA. Dude led the NCAA in scoring 2004-2005, was a monster against Syracuse in the NCAA tourney, and then nothing, no NBA team came calling. Had a successful playing career in Europe, but no interest in the NBA.
hoops88

Postby Carl Parker » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:52 pm

I am not sure how spaghettio draws his conclusion on Mayo. He typically is so negative. about everything,that without an explanation, it is hard to take stock in what he has to say.
Carl Parker

Postby hoops88 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:36 pm

Ugly loss to Western Kentucky last night. Only 7 points for Mayo. It is looking to be another mediocre year for EKU. So probably no March Madness unless they start to turn it around.
hoops88

Postby hoops88 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:18 pm

5 losses in a row for EKU. Mayo continues to average 17.3 ppg and nearly 7 rebs per game but the team is just not very good.

Should he be looking to transfer?
hoops88

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:47 pm

hoops88 wrote:5 losses in a row for EKU. Mayo continues to average 17.3 ppg and nearly 7 rebs per game but the team is just not very good.

Should he be looking to transfer?

hoops88: How about transferring to UMaine next year if Mainer and former South Portland UMaine player Chris Markwood gets the job.

That would be a great start for building the team with Mainer's, 8 players 2 each class ( 2 in each year as frosh and 2 out each year as seniors), 3 out-of-state or international players by the positions the Mainers do not fill position wise and walk on tryouts for the remaining 3 positions which make a roster of 14 players (11 scholarship and 3 walk ons) and that keeps 2 scholarships available at all times in case of unexpected transfers show up.

Just my thoughts and opinions.
bcbc55

Postby mcguire222 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:17 am

I would love to see Mayo at Maine but I dont see it happening. I do worry about his stock on the NBA GM's radar as of late.
mcguire222

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:50 am

mcguire222 wrote:I would love to see Mayo at Maine but I dont see it happening. I do worry about his stock on the NBA GM's radar as of late.

M22: Not going to prep school for a year after high school as he was so young is finally catching up with him. He has been steady as a player, but has not been able to carry Eastern Kentucky on his back because he is not a true face the basket player and not skilled enough to be a true Big as be a back-to-the-basket player.

Compar EK to Maine. Realtimerpi.com Team RPI EK303-Maine 329 Team SOS EK 311-Maine 302

Conferences Ohio Valley RPI 21-AE 26 SOS EK 23-Maine 31

I do not see him If he wants to make the NBA he has got to transfer to a major level school top 50 team to test his skills at that level.

Would look for him to go overseas and then try to make the NBA from there.

Just my opinion.
bcbc55

Postby oscar » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:56 pm

If he goes to a high level league overseas you can make a very good living playing a game. NBA has changed so much it's all about the 3's. Not sure one year of prep matters at this level most top prospects are one and done not many spending 4 years in college. Thats why seeing kids like Tatum at 19 is friggin crazy how good any young these players are.
oscar

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:12 pm

oscar wrote:If he goes to a high level league overseas you can make a very good living playing a game. NBA has changed so much it's all about the 3's. Not sure one year of prep matters at this level most top prospects are one and done not many spending 4 years in college. Thats why seeing kids like Tatum at 19 is friggin crazy how good any young these players are.

oscar: Agree, but Mayo needed more time to develop his strength, stamina, etc. plus prep school would have given him that opportunity. He didn't turn 18 until August after he graduated in June.

Prep school gives a player a chance to get used of being away from home, longer, harder practices, longer game schedule, adjust quicker to better competition in practices, games and most importantly they know what level of D-1 they belong at because of which level major, mid major low major schools recruits him the most.

Every Maine high school player who wants to be an impact player at D-1 by their soph year needs to go to Prep school.

I have had several that didn't go to prep school tell me that they should have gone to prep school as they would have so much better prepared for the rigors of the D-1 game at any level.

Nick Cander-Medley from Deering High played 4 years at Maryland which is a much higher level major then EK low major and he was a better athlete then Mayo and he coudn't make it to the NBA, but like you said has made a nice living playing overseas.

No Maine high school player has ever made it to the NBA. Only two college players that played in Maine or at UMaine to make the NBA was Rick Carlisle from NY and Jeff Cross from NH.
bcbc55

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur