Final Columbia 83 Maine men 71

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Final Columbia 83 Maine men 71

Postby Blind Zebra » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:31 pm

Oh and by the way, Bentley would beat Maine this year and would've beat them the 3 previous years as well. This Maine team would be a sub .500 D2 team. That might be generous.
Blind Zebra

Postby parquetfloor » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:37 pm

Thanks linguist.
parquetfloor

Postby basketball_guy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:46 pm

You guys have been concentrating on the high school talent in the State of Maine
instead of looking at the top basketball talent in New England. New England Prep
Schools are the top recruiting schools in the country for basketball talent. I don't see
Maine getting any of these kids but I see Stony Brook, Elon, Albany, UMASS Lowell,
Bryant and Rhode Island getting some of the top talent in the NEPSAC year in and year
out. That is where Maines next Head Coach has got to start recruting and hitting these
NEPSAC schools hard. There are over 250 Prep Schools in New England. No reason why
UMAINE basketball can not get some of these kids. UMAINE used to get a lot of kids from
MCI in Pittsfield before they dropped the Prep School basketball program in favor of playing
local high schools in Maine. There is no excuse for Walsh. He was the wrong Coach at the start.
I hope that this time around they bring in some Division 1 former players on the committee and
perhaps even bring in the Head Coach of Maine Red Claws to help them evaluate a potential New
Basketball Coach who can see thru the bullshit....apparently that did not happen four years ago.
Also, they are going to need to increase the Salary of the next Head Coach. UMAINE can not settle
for a former Division 3 basketball coach who meets their Salary Requirements and that does fall on
the AD and the funding for the basketball program which has to be increased, really before they even
start interviewing for a new Coach. They can increase the salary and get some one pretty good.

New England Class of 2018
Updated: November 18, 2017
Ranking Recruit Class Height High School Committed School
1 Simisola Shittu 2018 6'9" Vermont Academy Vanderbilt
2 Cole Swider 2018 6'8" St. Andrew’s School Villanova
3 Cormac Ryan 2018 6'5" Milton Academy Stanford
4 Nate Laszewski 2018 6'9" Northfield Mount Hermon Notre Dame
5 A.J. Reeves 2018 6'5" Brimmer and May Providence
6 David Duke 2018 6'4" Cushing Academy Providence
7 Marcus Zegarowski 2018 6'1" Tilton School Creighton
8 Anthony Nelson 2018 6'4" South Kent School Seton Hall
9 Chris Doherty 2018 6'7" Marlborough HS Notre Dame
10 Dana Tate 2018 6'6" MacDuffie School Rhode Island
11 Lukas Kisunas 2018 6'10" Brewster Academy UConn
12 Nate Roberts 2018 6'10" Brewster Academy Washington
13 Ethan Wright 2018 6'2" Newton North HS Princeton
14 Chuck Hannah 2018 6'6" Northfield Mount Hermon Elon
15 Philmon Gebrewhit 2018 6'6" Holderness School
16 Shandon Brown 2018 5'9" New Hampton George Washington
17 Dalano Banton 2018 6'6" Redemption Christian Western Kentucky
18 David Mitchell 2018 6'5" Belmont Hill School Brown
19 Nelson Boachie-Yiadom 2018 6'9" Loomis Chaffee Davidson
20 Malachi de Sousa 2018 6'6" South Kent School Albany
21 Thomas Shaughnessy 2018 6'0" Needham HS Brown
22 Alex Rivera 2018 5'11" Lowell HS UMass Lowell
23 Jose Perez 2018 6'5" Putnam Science Acad.
24 Jakigh Dottin 2018 6'1" Woodstock Academy Towson
25 Tayler Mattos 2018 6'10" Kearsarge HS
26 Eze Dike 2018 6'1" Kimball Union Academy Yale
27 Nick Timberlake 2018 6'3" Kimball Union Academy
28 Davis Franks 2018 6'7" Northfield Mount Hermon Brown
29 Travell Washington 2018 6'8" Lawrence Academy
30 Calvin Whipple 2018 6'3" Northfield Mount Hermon Fairfield
31 Patrick Harding 2018 6'8" Suffield Academy Bryant
32 Alex Christie 2018 6'11" MacDuffie School Stony Brook
33 Max Zegarowski 2018 6'7" Tilton School
34 Kai Toews 2018 6'1" Northfield Mount Hermon UNC Wilmington
35 Joey Kasperzyk 2018 6'2" Woodstock Academy
36 Bryce Daley 2018 6'3" Salisbury School UMass Lowell
37 Keigan Kerby 2018 6'7" Brooks School
38 Jovan Jones 2018 6'5" Belmont Hill School Williams
39 Tommy ONeil 2018 6'7" St. John’s Prep
40 Jarred Houston 2018 6'10" Beaver Country Day
41 Cantavio Dutreil 2018 6'7" Trinity Catholic HS
42 Martin Mann 2018 6'7" Lawrence Academy
43 Duncan LeXander 2018 6'8" Williston Northampton Charleston Southern
44 Raheem Solomon 2018 6'2" Sacred Heart HS
45 Tyler Bourne 2018 5'7" Notre Dame-Fairfield
46 Maurice Works 2018 5'9" Tech Boston
47 Nadir Dixon-Thompson 2018 6'9" Master’s School
48 Matt Verretto 2018 6'7" East Catholic HS
49 Chaylyn Martin 2018 6'2" Woodstock Academy Sacred Heart
50 Terion Moss 2018 5'10" Portland HS
51 Justin Connolly 2018 6'7" Brooks School Merrimack
52 Tyler Thomas 2018 6'4" Amity HS
53 Sean Conway 2018 6'4" Fairfield Warde
54 Ronnie Silva 2018 5'8" Bradford Christian Adelphi
55 Sebastijan Skoko 2018 6'1" Vermont Academy
56 Tyrone Weeks 2018 6'4" Bishop Hendricken HS
57 E.J. Dambreville 2018 6'3" Woodstock Academy Florida Southern
58 Abdul Ajia 2018 6'5" Bradford Christian
59 Ben Eckstrom 2018 6'6" Phillips Exeter Academy
60 Caden Dumas 2018 6'6" Choate Rosemary Hall Princeton (football)
basketball_guy

basketball_guy

Postby Blind Zebra » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:58 pm

All of Maine's previous coaches have recruited the NE Prep ranks hard, including Bob Walsh.
The University of Maine administration does not support Men's Basketball. Rather than stay the course as an underfunded, afterthought, drop to D2 and join the NE-10. They might be able to be competitive at that level.
Until the school is willing to make an investment, they can expect similar results with this program.
Blind Zebra

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:37 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:All of Maine's previous coaches have recruited the NE Prep ranks hard, including Bob Walsh.
The University of Maine administration does not support Men's Basketball. Rather than stay the course as an underfunded, afterthought, drop to D2 and join the NE-10. They might be able to be competitive at that level.
Until the school is willing to make an investment, they can expect similar results with this program.

BZ: Good post. But Maine should stay D-1. Because the women's basketball program has been successful and still is compared to the men's program I think that the administration thinks that if the women's program can do it then why can't the men's program do it under the same conditions be it financially or anything else?

Especially, when the women's program went downhill and has recovered under Baron and Vachon.
Still say get a Maine Coach who will stay (like Skip Chappelle) and recruit and get 2 Mainers a year, as that is 8 (2(that would be 2 in as freshmen and 2 out as graduating seniors. Then get 4 players who fill the needs that Mainers don't, usually bigs, that is 12 schollies (leaving one scholarship available for unknowns) and have campus walkon tryouts to fill roster out to 14.

Have to recruit Mainers differently then you do out-of- staters and international players.

Tell Mainers and their parents that if they want to be an impact D-1 player in D-1 basketball then they have to go to prep school.

Tell them Maine really wants them but are more interested in "you the players future in D-1" then the UMaine's basketball future.

Tell them if Maine loses them because they go higher because of the year of prep school, tell them and their parents that Maine will be very disappointed but will congratulate you if you go higher up the rankings and wish you all the success and good luck.

Tell them that if you ever decide you want to come back to Maine just call Maine to talk about it as they always have 1 scholarship available.

You might be surprised that you would get some after their year at prep school because Maine put the players D-1 future ahead of Maine's D-1 future as no other recruiter is going to tell Mainers to go to prep school for the players best interet because they are afraid they would lose them to a higher ranked team after a year of prep school.

People are searching for answers for the men's basketball program why not try this way to see if would actually work. It would take just 4 years and couldn't be any worst then the last 4 years.

Also, get it out their that the first time that Maine makes the Big Dance they want to do it with more Mainers on the roster then non Mainers.

Then comes the coaching thing, get a Mainer who can actually develop players at all positions, who is a good in game coach who can make adjustments, knows how to coach players that are basketball players playing basketball, not athletes trying to play basketball, knows how to develop high basketball IQ's to make good basketball decisions that gives Maine good shot selection, decrease turnovers and lessen fouling and playing the game form the shoulders up, believe in using only 8 players at a time, etc.

Considering the last winning season at Maine was 8 years ago in 2009-10 when Maine went 19-10 with 3 6'5", 6'7z" amd 6'2" Mainers starting and should have had 5 Maine starters if i 6'6" junior leading scorer did not play his senior year and one 6'11" player who left team after his sophomore years they would have been even better than 19-10.

This shows it can be done with Mainers especially if they go to prep school for a year out of high school.

Just my opinion after watching Maine men's basketball since 1949 and the 26 winning seasons out of 68 years

These successful times where with Maine kids and actually the most winning seasons were the 17 years Skip Chappelle coached at Maine when they had 10 winning seasons using mainly Maine kids, when the next highest winning seasons were under Brian McCall 5 of 10 years and Dr. John G. at 4 of 8. Chappelle was the third winningest coach at 48.9%, behind only McCall second at 51.6% and Giannini at first place at 52.6%. McCall's best years was with Mainers and a Mainer contributed as the best player when Bedard played for Dr. John at UMaine.

Again, if Maine is going to lose like they have the past 8 years and especially the last 3 going on 4 disastorous years of 21-86 overall and 13-86 against D-1 opponents, it should be with a Maine coach using Maine players instead of out-of-state coaches using Maine as a stepping stone career job and players who are at Maine only because no one else wanted them as D-1 players.

This would not cost any more money then is put into the women's program and the women's program have turned things around.

bcbc55

Postby Blind Zebra » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:01 pm

Coach Cim, I would like to have Maine stay D-1 as well. The idea of dropping to D2 is born out of frustration that Maine can't play competitive basketball. I have been a die hard since my dad brought me to see the team play in 1985. Now I don't want to even watch the games. I used to go to most home games, had season tickets for years. I used to watch all the away games online. Now I just skip them. Good thing there is plenty of other basketball: my sons' games, Celtics and local high school games.
As a UM alum, it is embarrassing to watch how bad the men's program has become. I didn't think it could get any worse than the end of the Woodward Era, but sadly it is.
Blind Zebra

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:29 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:Coach Cim, I would like to have Maine stay D-1 as well. The idea of dropping to D2 is born out of frustration that Maine can't play competitive basketball. I have been a die hard since my dad brought me to see the team play in 1985. Now I don't want to even watch the games. I used to go to most home games, had season tickets for years. I used to watch all the away games online. Now I just skip them. Good thing there is plenty of other basketball: my sons' games, Celtics and local high school games.
As a UM alum, it is embarrassing to watch how bad the men's program has become. I didn't think it could get any worse than the end of the Woodward Era, but sadly it is.

BZ: I agree with and understand your post completely. I just would hope they would try my suggestion for the program as it could not do any worse. Please give me your truthful opinion and evaluation of how I think they could improve the Men's program especially on recruiting the better Maine kids that might be D-1 prospects. I would really appreciate your opinion as you have a good prospective on basketball here in Maine at both the high school and college levels.

I agree I would not pay to watch a UMaine men's or women's game. Just watch them online as it gives me something to do during these long cold winter nights.

I do go to Bangor boys games, but I have a pass for those games. I wouldn't pay to see them or any other high school play today unless, like you have someone playing. Occassionally I will go to a Husson mens/women game and I will pay to see them play as I am an alumnus and want to support the program and they are two of the beter D-3 teams in men's and women's D-3 basketball in the state besides.

The only NBA teams I will watch play are the Boston Celtics who have become the San Antonio Spurs of the eastern Conference, so I do watch those 2 teams who try to play team basketball with good human beings and not headcases trying to play athletic basketball. Both try to have their basketball players playing basketball from the shoulders up not the shoulders down as the other 28 NBA teams do. Hoping for a Sours-Celtics Championship Series this June.

It took over 20 years before any NBA franchise figured out or wanted t figure out how the Spurs were the winnngest franchise over past 20 years with the most 50 win seasons and 5 NBA championships. Finally Danny Ainge figured it out and hired a college coach who coached like Popovich and look what Brad Stevens has done in such a shirt time proving that a college coach coaching the right way can turn a NBA franchise around playing real team basketball not entertainment basketball and with good human beings who are very coachable like Popovich has had the Spurs doing for 20 plus years..
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:28 pm

Outside of Lee Academy down in Biddeford show me where Maine has recruited any prep schools out
of state on the current roster. I dont consider Lee Academy to be high on the list of NEPSAC basketball prep schools either. When did last win the NEPSAC tournament?
No players are even listed in the Top 25 of this years NEPSAC 2018 class. UMAINE has four Lee Academy graduates
on its squad right now and they are 1-12 about to go 1-13. They have one other player from Phillips Andover
Academy. I mean they are not recruiting the Prep Schools very hard at all as evidenced by their record and lack of achievement in the recruiting department.

I assume that is why Bob Simon was brought in this year but in light of how things are going no blue chip prospects are going to committ to a program where the Head Coach is about to get fired. That is why it would
be best for them to make a move now, even if they indicated that Walsh would not be retained. That would give Simon a chance at Head Coach as well as his expertise on recruiting which frankly has been overlooked at this point. Simon is a top notch basketball coach caught up in a very bad situation right now.

FORWARD 6'7" 222 LBS
ANDREW FLEMING
SOUTH PARIS, ME OXFORD HILLS
FULL BIO
Hide/Show Additional Information For Andrew Fleming
GUARD 5'11" 187 LBS
AARON CALIXTE
STOUGHTON, MASS. STOUGHTON HS/LEE ACADEMY
FULL BIO
Hide/Show Additional Information For Aaron Calixte
GUARD 5'10" 175 LBS
CELIO ARAUJO
GOVERNADOR VALADARES, MINAS GERAIS, BRAZIL SHERIDAN COLLEGE/THE MASTER'S SCHOOL
FULL BIO
Hide/Show Additional Information For Celio Araujo
GUARD 6'1" 185 LBS
TRAE BRYANT
WILMINGTON, N.C. JOHN T. HOGGARD UNC ASHEVILLE/CAPE FEAR C.C.
FULL BIO
Hide/Show Additional Information For Trae Bryant
GUARD 6'5" 210 LBS
DUSAN MAJSTOROVIC
NOVI SAD, SERBIA LEE ACADEMY/LA SALLE
FULL BIO
Hide/Show Additional Information For Dusan Majstorovic
GUARD 6'4" 203 LBS
DANNY EVANS
LEEDS, ENGLAND ALLERTON PHILLIPS ANDOVER ACADEMY
FULL BIO
Hide/Show Additional Information For Danny Evans
FORWARD 6'7" 223 LBS
ILIJA STOJILJKOVIC
NIS, SERBIA PRAVNO-POSLOVNA SKOLA NIS
FULL BIO
Hide/Show Additional Information For Ilija Stojiljkovic
GUARD
LEWIS WANG
TAIPEI, TAIWAN LEE ACADEMY
FULL BIO
Hide/Show Additional Information For Lewis Wang
FORWARD 6'8" 245 LBS
MIKS ANTOMS
RIGA, LATVIA ARCHBISHOP CARROLL/LEE ACADEMY
FULL BIO
Hide/Show Additional Information For Miks Antoms
GUARD 6'6" 180 LBS
ISAIAH WHITE
ELLICOTT, MD HARFORD COMMUNITY COLLEGE/UNC ASHEVILLE
FULL BIO
Hide/Show Additional Information For Isaiah White
GUARD 6'5" 180 LBS
VERNON LOWNDES JR.
CHARLESTON, S.C. STRATFORD USC SALKEHATCHIE
FULL BIO
Hide/Show Additional Information For Vernon Lowndes Jr.
GUARD 6'1" 193 LBS
GARVEY MELMED
GREENBUSH, ME OLD TOWN HS
FULL BIO
Hide/Show Additional Information For Garvey Melmed
GUARD
ROB BIRSTONAS
WHITBY, ONTARIO TILTON SCHOOL MORRIS CATHOLIC / ALL SAINTS CATHOLIC
FULL BIO
Hide/Show Additional Information For Rob Birstonas
GUARD 6'1" 169 LBS
DENNIS ASHLEY
LOS ANGELES, CA ST. MONICA
FULL BIO
Hide/Show Additional Information For Dennis Ashley
GUARD 6'6" 212 LBS
ILKER ER
ISTANBUL, TURKEY ARLINGTON COUNTRY DAY (FLORIDA) SAN JACINTO JUNIOR COLLEGE
FULL BIO
Hide/Show Additional Information For Ilker Er
FORWARD/CENTER 6'8" 218 LBS
VINCENT EZE
BETHLEHEM, PA NOTRE DAME HIGH SCHOOL/PUTNAM
basketball_guy

Postby dunbar » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:47 pm

basketball_guy wrote:Outside of Lee Academy down in Biddeford show me where Maine has recruited any prep schools out of state on the current roster.

Wait, hold on.

basketball_guy wrote:Lee Academy down in Biddeford

Good God... :lol: :oops:
dunbar

Postby Blind Zebra » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:13 pm

Lee Academy is in Lee, Maine (next to Lincoln).
Maine has 5 former Lee Prep kids: Calixte, Stojilikovic, Antoms and Wang, Majstorovic
Ashley went to Bridgton Academy.
Birstonas went to Tilton.
Eze went to Putnam Science.
Evans went to Phillips Andover.
Blind Zebra

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics